BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #41
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

Please Login to Remove!

This is seriously a joke. Most of the admins here especially JIBI are pro BB and are giving bad info. Why dont you tell the truth and let these folks know that BES 4.0 is a very tedious task and will require months of planning and other expensive resources.

The longer you continue to allow your companies to invest in BB the more they are going to be ready to fire you when they get the chance to see the OTHER GIANT that will be consuming this market as fast as you are packing your stuff looking for another job.

You people offer biased advice and in the long run many companies will continue to admit their mistakes for investing in RIMM proprietary Device only product.

If you are on BES 3.6 stay there until you phase out your BB investments and move with the change of technology and invest in your companies future instead of the present moment.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #42
greywolfe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: optus

Maybe if people realised that BES is a *server*, not some application they can just install on their DC, and thus requires *forethought* before setting up, people wouldnt have issues.

I can tell you straight out that 99% of the problems with BES 4.0 occur from clients either not bothering or refusing to fufil the damn preinstall requirements. Why can't they do it? It's not like RIM are asking people to donate their first born sons. They are tasks that are clearly (although in some cases not so clearly) set out to be performed *before* you attempt an upgrade: not a month later, not when they ring up support and find out their system is stuffed, not when a problem occurs!

If people treated BES like any other critical server, eg Exchange, webserver, then perhaps the volume of issues with 4.0 migration would be less.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #43
jmanford
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_2005
This is seriously a joke. Most of the admins here especially JIBI are pro BB and are giving bad info. Why dont you tell the truth and let these folks know that BES 4.0 is a very tedious task and will require months of planning and other expensive resources.

The longer you continue to allow your companies to invest in BB the more they are going to be ready to fire you when they get the chance to see the OTHER GIANT that will be consuming this market as fast as you are packing your stuff looking for another job.

You people offer biased advice and in the long run many companies will continue to admit their mistakes for investing in RIMM proprietary Device only product.

If you are on BES 3.6 stay there until you phase out your BB investments and move with the change of technology and invest in your companies future instead of the present moment.
If your company has already paid for support the upgrade is free. BTW, what other GIANT?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #44
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanford
If your company has already paid for support the upgrade is free. BTW, what other GIANT?
he works for Good Technology and is touting their product, GoodLink. at the time he made the reply, no one knew he was such. actually, he made himself out to be a former BES administrator of a brokerage firm who's company was asking for interest in the GoodLink product. quite pathetic. i'd just ignore his posts, to be honest.

Last edited by jibi; 10-05-2005 at 06:09 PM..
Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 AM   #45
greywolfe

Not to mention that pretty much every other product out there, including the forthcoming Magneto, isnt really true push email.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:02 AM   #46
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolfe
Not to mention that pretty much every other product out there, including the forthcoming Magneto, isnt really true push email.
Magneto is not email, it is Windows Mobile 5.0. As for other solutions not being truly push, I agree regarding Exchange SP2, you are right, it is device driven pull. However, there are other solutions that are true push email.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #47
greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
Magneto is not email, it is Windows Mobile 5.0. As for other solutions not being truly push, I agree regarding Exchange SP2, you are right, it is device driven pull. However, there are other solutions that are true push email.
Lately when referring to the Exchange 2k3sp2/WinMobile5 solution, its been referred to as 'Magneto' tis all.

The other major solutions, like Smartner, arent push either. Anything thats relying on regular gprs data cant be I dont think, since it always needs to be fed keep-alive packets.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #48
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolfe
Lately when referring to the Exchange 2k3sp2/WinMobile5 solution, its been referred to as 'Magneto' tis all.

The other major solutions, like Smartner, arent push either. Anything thats relying on regular gprs data cant be I dont think, since it always needs to be fed keep-alive packets.
OK, fair enough on Magneto, though I always thought of Magneto as WM5 only, but I see your point.

As for Smartner, since they no longer exist (acquired by Seven) I wouldn't call them a 'major' solution. I was referring to Good and Intellisync, and on a level down, Seven. All are push, as is obviously, BES.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #49
Kul

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (UK)

We have installed a new BES 4.0 server with Exchange 2003, we also have the 3.6 server running as well with Exchange 5.5 (different Auth Keys). At the moment I have managed to get the migration to work in the following way.
1. export user from BES 3.6
2. delete account
3. move mailbox from exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003
2. import to BES 4.0 - set activation password

and it then registers and starts working.

However, will it still work if the mailbox is moved to Exchange 5.5 and the user remains on BES 3.6 or will it still work if I delete the account, move teh mailbox and readd the account still on 3.6?

I have given the new BES4.0 service account full rights in the Exchange 5.5 organisation and all servers are in the same windows AD.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #50
Kul

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (UK)

.. .

Last edited by Kul; 10-17-2005 at 09:49 AM..
Closed Thread