Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #1
DownByLaw123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7750
Default BB & Outlook out of sync

Please Login to Remove!

Running BES 4.0 w/Exchange, all handhelds 4.0 wireless sync;

I have one user who is driving me crazy. He is always "out of sync" as he puts it between his BB and his inbox. I have explained to him how reconcile now works (items don't sync instantly) and I have also went over with him about deleted items (if he deletes items and then empties deleted items folder in outlook before background sync takes place, the BB leaves those messages on the BB).

I get him okay, then he calls me the next day - "I'm out of sycn again."
He'll say, "I have 26 messages on the BB and only 6 in outlook".

I have his handheld setup to hide filed messages, so if he shoots an e-mail to a inbox subfolder it will dissappear from BB's default messages screen.

I totally understand this is probably "OD" (Operator Difficulty), but does anyone have any advice? Could there be something wrong with his account? I've already swapped physical units with him already to cross that off the list - Sprint BB 7750.

thanks!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

He's probably not understanding exactly how the sync works. read/deleted messages don't sync instantly (and sometimes not at all I've found, maybe a 2% chance of happening).

Also make sure PIN, SMS and phone logs aren't the "new" messages on the blackberry.

Other than that, I find a small rock hammer just to the side of the temple will set them straight and leave them with only a vague sense of what happened.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
DownByLaw123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
Also make sure PIN, SMS and phone logs aren't the "new" messages on the blackberry.
What exactly do you mean by that statement? I'm easily confused today.
thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

So...I guess the Group Policy for "Empty Deleted Items on Exit" or it's corresponding UI setting are a no-no with BES?

How do you get users to EVER empty Deleted Items voluntarily? I've had client sites where, when we enabled the "Empty Deleted Items" Group Policy, we found the mail database shrunk by over 50%. Many people had NEVER emptied Deleted Items despite repeated requests that they do so.

How are you folks handling this?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownByLaw123
What exactly do you mean by that statement? I'm easily confused today.
thanks
PIN messages, SMS (text) messages, and Call Log messages all show up as messages on the BlackBerry.

If the guy has 9 true emails showing on his Outlook, but his BlackBerry has 12 messages (but 3 of them are SMS messages), then there is no issue.

Some users simply count the number of messages on the BlackBerry and compare that with the number of emails on their computer, not realizing that they shouldn't count PIN, SMS and Call Logs as "emails".
Old 05-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Configure his account in BES so that the handheld wins any conflicts.

cd.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

I am very new to BB and the BES that the company handed me, but it seems that if I set it upthe user in BES so that the handheld wins conflicts, then that won't solve the problem with outlook having less mails than the BB. shouldn't the mailbox be winning the conflict? If the mailbox is to be the primary, then shouldn't it win? What I don't get is how my wireless calendar works awesome and almost instantaneously from outlook to BB and vice versa, but the inbox and contacts won't keep synced. I am using a BB 7510 with handheld 4.0, BES 3.6 and desktop manager 4.0. does this problem get better with a newer device or BES 4.0?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #8
sejinro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

As far as Deleting Items, I set it on the Exchange 2000 side. I delete every 7 days, therefore, the deleted items folder will have only the last 7 days of email.
Closed Thread