Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
mikeybee

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TELUS
Angry High-speed as a tethered modem

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everybody, im stumped...

I have already connected my 8703e as a modem to my laptop...i can download torrents, play games, etc...highest speed achieved was 120 Kbps

But what i am trying to do now, is connect to the EVDO network (telus, in canada). There is NOTHING related to this floating on the net, or i just cant find it. A Telus rep said that I can achieve "DSL" speeds, but i havn't.

On the back of the box for the BB, it states "Access the TELUS Wireless High Speed (EVDO) network and get download speeds of approx. 400-700 Kbps", now, does this mean on the BB itself, or can i achieve these speeds through the computer as well?

I've also read some things stating that EVDO Rev. B (which can get as fast as 12 MB/s) requires a software update...if thats true, where do i get it?

I NEED HELP!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The speed you get depends on many factors, most of which are not within your control.

I assume your 8703 is EVDO capable. That is the first thing to ensure. Other factors: the device memory, device processor, your distance tot he cell tower, voice and data congestion at the tower, and the connection itself.

Using EVDO you should average 400-800 kbps and max of 1.2 mbps on Rev 0 and 2.4 on Rev A. But as you can see from the above factors, that is only an average and it really depends on where you are and the connection you have.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
mikeybee

Model: 8703e
Carrier: TELUS

yes, it is EVDO capable. not sure of the device memory (it says 58458112 bytes file total, so about 55 MBs), don't know the processor, and I can spit on the tower from my house (not really, but I can clearly see it!)...would it be wise to just take a jog down to the telus store (5 minute walk), and grab one of these "aircards"?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybee View Post
yes, it is EVDO capable. not sure of the device memory (it says 58458112 bytes file total, so about 55 MBs), don't know the processor, and I can spit on the tower from my house (not really, but I can clearly see it!)...would it be wise to just take a jog down to the telus store (5 minute walk), and grab one of these "aircards"?
I use a Verizon data card in my laptop. Beats using the tethered phone.

-->>Twitter

Old 05-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #5
katebang
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8707
Carrier: Celcom

hi,

i'm not sure about EVDO but it sounds like a type of wireless technology jargons.. as far as im concerned, blackberry only comes in 2 mode which is 3G or GPRS. the highest speed you can achieved in GPRS is 56kbps but 3G offers 384kbps (although sometimes the speed spikes to 500kbps for a few second on and off but its totally depending on your telco's coverage).. blackberry fans is still waiting for HSDPA enabled device for true high speed (3.6mbps, but in reality, the highest you can achieve is 1.8mbps).. my opinion is, EVDO not supported by blackberry.. just my opinion.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

EVDO is the CDMA technology's version of 3G. Mainly available in the US and Canada. Verizon and Sprint BBs are EVDO Rev 0 capable. Don't think they are Rev A yet, but I could be wrong on that. The Canadian CDMA carrier TELUS also supports EVDO.

In the GSM world, EDGE averages 50-125 kbps with a max of 384 kbps. 3G gives you 400-800 kbps on average with a max of about 3.6 mbps and a theoretical max of 14.6 mbps - but I doubt if we will see that soon. No US BBs are 3G capable. he only one I know of is the 8707series and that is 3G in Europe only.

But the same conditions apply in my previous post as to factors affecting the speed.

-->>Twitter

Closed Thread