BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
Hercules
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Default Okay, what am I doing wrong (deletion)....

Please Login to Remove!

Here's the deal... I want my Blackberry to sync with my Exchange. That means, if I delete on Outlook it will delete from my Blackberry automatically. If I delete on my Blackberry, it will delete in Outlook.

Often, it doesn't work as it should. I will delete in Exchange and then 'reconcile now' on my Blackberry, and the items I deleted won't delete. I have to manually go to my Blackberry and delete the items -- essentially deleting everything twice. I've tried making the handheld take precedence and vice versa, and my options are to delete messages on both the mailbox and the handheld.

This gets very irritating since I get about a hundred emails a day, many of which are from servers that I monitor.

What do I have to do to get this to work right? Is there some option I'm not checking or whatever? I mean... it's very, very irritating!

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Hercules; 12-30-2005 at 08:36 AM..
Old 12-30-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Not that you are in this boat, but, I have users who complain of this occasionally and they simply aren't waiting long enough for the reconciliation to complete.

I believe even if you use the reconcile now feature, it isn't necessarily immediate.

Outlook in Cached mode often factors a delay into the mix.

I have had to remove and re-add at least one user to the BES server in the past to correct this type of situation. Clearing statistics and removing all BB info from the mailbox when you do this and wiping the handheld clean.

Are you sure your server is sized correctly? Can it handle the number of users you have on it? Are you using MSDE (Desktop SQL server) with more than 150 users?

Make sure your MSDE (if you are using it), BES, and Windows server, is up to date with patches.

Good Luck.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
Hercules

No, I set it up right... hell it happens to my own Blackberry from time to time.

Either way, I don't think it's not "waiting long enough". Trust me, I wait plenty of time. I do a reconcile before I leave the house (read my emails there) and then when I get to work (over 30 mins later) the thing still isn't updating properly.

The MSDE only handles about 40 users.. and the box is solid so I'm not thinking it is that. I have it on a monitor for CPU/mem usage anyway (delivered to my Blackberry ehehe).

Any other ideas?
Old 12-31-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Can you provide some server details?

Server OS and SP level... BES Version and SP Level... MSDE Version SP Level.

Exchange Server info would be helpful.

I am kinda flying blind with the question and little or no information. Does this happen to all 40 users? Is there a correlation to the number of e-mails received per day (Heavy users verses light)?

Thanx
Old 12-31-2005, 10:47 AM   #5
BB_God
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Rogers

Can you provide your Outlook version with service pack also.

From your comments I am assuming that it is not reconclizing from Outlook to BlackBerry or BlackBerry to Outlook?

Try deleting the Desktop CMIME service book and then cradle or (re)send the services book from the BES.

Also, try toggling Delete On from Mailbox and handheld or prompt (whichever you are using) to Handheld. Save. Toggle back to Mailbox and handheld or Prompt.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
chrous29

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

I don't know if it can be the same as my bes I am on GW and if I shift delete e-mail from GW they don't get deleted on the BB. And if I drag and drop to delete or use the delete button it's fine.

Chris.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
Baldric

Model: 5800
Carrier: Turnips

Hi, try changing the Outlook profile not to use cached mode. Then make sure you leave time for your BB to reconcile normally. Also if you delete messages in Outlook and then empty your deleted itmes, your BB won't reconcile properly because it doesn't know where the deleted email in Outlook is.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Hercules

Outlook isn't in cached mode... I do leave some time for the BB to sync up... it's just very slow and poor at it. I run a Goodlink server as well in our office, and THAT is a beauty -- if I delete on the handheld it deletes on the mailbox seconds later, and vice versa. I don't have to 'reconcile' -- it's always doing it.

Why can't Blackberry work like that?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #9
Baldric

Model: 5800
Carrier: Turnips

Depending on what version of BES you use, every thing but email recociles real time.
To reduce traffic, mail items are reconcilled at regular intervals (not sure what).
If you are having problems with deleting email from the handheld that have already been deleted in Outlook, just make sure that the deleted items folder hasn't been emptied
Old 01-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldric
Depending on what version of BES you use, every thing but email recociles real time.
To reduce traffic, mail items are reconcilled at regular intervals (not sure what).
If you are having problems with deleting email from the handheld that have already been deleted in Outlook, just make sure that the deleted items folder hasn't been emptied
Can't I make it so that *everything* reconciles in real time? I don't care about the bandwith -- we have unlimited plans so it doesn't bother me. I think the interval is like 20 minutes.... this is ridiculous for something that I need to be working in real time because I'm floating around at my desk from minute to minute... I can't wait 20 minutes to have a reconciliation.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
fob1111

Model: 7290

Not sure if you already covered this or not...

When you delete from exchange, are you lettting the deleted message sit in your deleted items... if not, if you are like me and use Shift + delete whcih permenatly deletes the messages, it will not delete off your BB. If you delete the message from exchange and let it sit in your deleted items and then do a rec now, it should delete from your BB.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:55 PM   #12
petersenca45

Model: 7130e
Default Did you find a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules
Can't I make it so that *everything* reconciles in real time? I don't care about the bandwith -- we have unlimited plans so it doesn't bother me. I think the interval is like 20 minutes.... this is ridiculous for something that I need to be working in real time because I'm floating around at my desk from minute to minute... I can't wait 20 minutes to have a reconciliation.
Did you ever find the solution. We are on about a 30 minute delay and I would love to shorten it. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersenca45
Did you ever find the solution. We are on about a 30 minute delay and I would love to shorten it. Thanks.
Nope, no solution... 30 minutes seems to be the magic time without hitting the "resync" option. I will be abandoning our Blackberries at the first opportunity. The service pales compared to the Goodlink solution I've also used, in almost every way.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
jrbes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

The shift+delete from Outlook removes the message from outlook and all traces of it, BB looks for a message identifier for the reconcile feature. If you hard delete, you remove the message ID as well so BB cannot match up.

I have the same problems with users in my environment, reconcile is taking forever or not working at all. I have 3 BES' with a minimum of 200 users on each server (the largest user count is 500+ on one server). BES 4.3.11 SP3, SQL for dbase, Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003 SP2/Outlook 2002 for some. We have several users with cached mode for Outlook. I have a test server (4.1 SP1) that I am on and the reconciliation feature is slow as well.

RIM needs to address this, I believe it is how the BES communicates to Exchange (or the lack of comm) that is causing the problems.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #15
chrisl

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone UK

No you can't change the time it reconciles.

Make sure your BES Admin account has been setup correctly and has got the correct permissions.

What devices are you using?

Are you hard deleting or just letting them go to deleted items?

When you deleted emails is your device connected to the users computer with DTM running?

Are you Exchange and BB servers in the same domain? Are either in a DMZ?
Closed Thread