BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
WildPacket

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Default SQL Vs MSDE for BES DB

Please Login to Remove!

We currently running BES4.0 with 250 blackberry users and DB is hosted on a SQL2000 on a serpate SQL server. The DB is 180MB.

My Manager wants to move the DB from SQL to the BES server and tells me to install the MSDE Express 2005 and use that. I spoke to Rogers and they say RIM does not recommend hosting more than 100 blackberry users on MSDE.

Manager says if I provide some article or written document he will leave the DB on SQL. I don't know what he is thinking people tend to move forward and he wants me to move backwards as our blackberry users are growing.

Is there any document which would discourage using MSDE with the amount of blackberry users we have?

Advise Please.

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
lolaisodd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: xxxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Singtel
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildPacket View Post
We currently running BES4.0 with 250 blackberry users and DB is hosted on a SQL2000 on a serpate SQL server. The DB is 180MB.

My Manager wants to move the DB from SQL to the BES server and tells me to install the MSDE Express 2005 and use that. I spoke to Rogers and they say RIM does not recommend hosting more than 100 blackberry users on MSDE.

Manager says if I provide some article or written document he will leave the DB on SQL. I don't know what he is thinking people tend to move forward and he wants me to move backwards as our blackberry users are growing.

Is there any document which would discourage using MSDE with the amount of blackberry users we have?

Advise Please.

Thank you.
I don't know if this constitutes as a good article to submit to your manager but yes you can try ....

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Microsoft Exchange: BlackBerry Enterprise Server Pre-Installation Guide

It states in this link that ...
"NOTE: Due to limitations of MSDE, it is recommended that SQL Server™ be used if there are multiple Exchange servers in the environment and/or an increasing or higher number of BlackBerry® users. For more information, please see the “BlackBerry Enterprise Server implementation considerations” section within the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange Performance Benchmarking (PDF)"

And this is the link to BlackBerry Enterprise Server for MS Exchange Performance Benchmarking (PDF):

Livelink - Redirection

Good luck!