BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
james_bold
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default OK..so worse thing EVER has happend, i've lost my BOLD!!!!

Please Login to Remove!

So I went out this morning and somewhere along the way back I have lost my Blackberry Bold, had less that a month and bought as a bargain on Ebay

I didnt realise prior to this, suppose we never do, but - there is software to trace your lost blackberry...I would recommend this to all of you NOW - the way I have felt today can only be discribed as close to emptyness

Can any of you advise as to how I can stop ANYONE using the handset or making it just die basically?

I know the PIN and I have disabled all calls/emails with O2 UK - oh yea and to top it all off I am away for work in L.A until 8th Dec - I am even considering buying another handset from ebay and UPS/DHL it across the pond. I am lost without it, not to mention it's my main mobile number...

Any suggestions...??
Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

If you know the IMEI you can deactivate your bold through your carrier. Other than that unless you had some kind of theft protection software I'd say you're SOL.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
Wirelessly posted

If you know the IMEI you can deactivate your bold through your carrier. Other than that unless you had some kind of theft protection software I'd say you're SOL.
And 90% of the time a carrier wont blacklist an IMEI.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

If you haven't done so already, call your carrier to have your service temporarily suspended. Also, ask them what their policy is for crediting for calls that you did not make. Most have a threshold of time ( 48 hours prior to you asking for the suspend , for example).
Old 11-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

my bold is in the mail what theft protection software is there??
Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
DSS597
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

This is a good time to share with you how I keep my BB set up in case something like this happens. I was on a shoot one day and it slipped out of my pocket, luckily for me one of my crew picked it up without me knowing. I didn't find out for over an hour and the entire time I was agonizing about the data on it. My lesson was learned without having to suffer the consequences.

After that incident I now have the device set to lock upon entering the holster. Besides that the program AutoLock is on it; should it get left laying somewhere out of the holster it will lock after the backlight times out in one minute. I lot of people don't agree with me, and feel it's a pain in the butt to have to type your password in 100 times a day, but when you lose your device even once you'll see why it's worth it. I also have an email address and contact number on the display when it's locked so I can be contacted for its return. Lastly I have both the replacement and repair insurance on the device.

With all of that said, my data is the most important thing to me on the device, even more so than someone making a bunch of calls after picking it up. Those charges can be reversed, but someone having your personal information sucks. Should someone find my device it's locked up tight. The only thing they can do is put in the password 10 times incorrectly which will lead to a full device wipe anyway. At the same time I'll be picking up the new unit and syncing all of my backed up data to it.

I feel for you james_bold (great screen name by the way), and I hope this set-up helps you for your new BB and also helps some others out there.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #7
brill
Thumbs Must Hurt

One of the easiest things you can do is to simply tape a note to the inside of your battery cover- "REWARD" + an alternate phone number or email.

I have found several cellphones and with no idea of stealing the data, I would simply have returned the phones to their owners no questions asked. That is, if their phones weren't locked and with no identification on them. The first thing I do when I find a phone is to call the last dialed numbers to see if I can find out who owns them. If they are locked, then I will remove the battery cover to see if there is a name.

If you lock your phone, put your name and number on the battery cover!

By the way, I have gotten back two Blackberries this way. Both left at restaurants.

Last edited by brill; 11-26-2008 at 02:32 AM..
Old 11-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #8
tazeat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brill View Post
One of the easiest things you can do is to simply tape a note to the inside of your battery cover- "REWARD" + an alternate phone number or email.

I have found several cellphones and with no idea of stealing the data, I would simply have returned the phones to their owners no questions asked. That is, if their phones weren't locked and with no identification on them. The first thing I do when I find a phone is to call the last dialed numbers to see if I can find out who owns them. If they are locked, then I will remove the battery cover to see if there is a name.

If you lock your phone, put your name and number on the battery cover!

By the way, I have gotten back two Blackberries this way. Both left at restaurants.
You can also put it in contact info so when you turn on the phone your info is right there and they cant unlock it...
Old 11-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
brill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazeat View Post
You can also put it in contact info so when you turn on the phone your info is right there and they cant unlock it...
Except when you find a phone with a dead battery....
Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
LocoStrange
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Sorry to hear. Hopefully, its just in your car or something. I bought RobLock in case something like this happens
Closed Thread