dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I enjoy trying new updates, I cant wait for them to come out. Dave it is the nature of the beast. Im not sure which phones you owned previously that didnt require updates. Maybe you should go back to one of those so you will be happy.

Dawg, I AM happy with my LG. It's the wife who wants desperately to have the Storm so she can text me from work when she can't do voice. Actually, the people she works with are a VERY, VERY bad influence--anesthesiologists are mostly all crackberry addicts and that's who she is around much of every day. No doubt I enjoyed being able to contact her and vice versa when she is in the OR, but dang, an extra $720 per year for the privilege seems a bit much to me. Couple the cost with the frustration of the OS and it didn't take me long to head back over to the VZN store to put my LG back in service. I mean I love my wife very much, but not sure it's worth that much to get a few texts throughout the day. With our LG's she manages to call at lunch time nearly every workday, so it's not like I don't hear from her for 10 straight hours.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #42
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
Dawg, I AM happy with my LG. It's the wife who wants desperately to have the Storm so she can text me from work when she can't do voice. Actually, the people she works with are a VERY, VERY bad influence--anesthesiologists are mostly all crackberry addicts and that's who she is around much of every day. No doubt I enjoyed being able to contact her and vice versa when she is in the OR, but dang, an extra $720 per year for the privilege seems a bit much to me. Couple the cost with the frustration of the OS and it didn't take me long to head back over to the VZN store to put my LG back in service. I mean I love my wife very much, but not sure it's worth that much to get a few texts throughout the day. With our LG's she manages to call at lunch time nearly every workday, so it's not like I don't hear from her for 10 straight hours.
My wife is much like you. She uses a cheap a$$ razor that I hate. I want to get her a blackberry so bad but she refuses to learn new technology. So i bought her sister one, tonight my wife asked me to check into a BB for her.

If you are happy with a dumb phone then by all means stick with it. But dont blame your wife for wanting to go to the next level
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #43
PixelBit

I finally dropped the Storm and picked up the Curve 8900 instead. Man, the 8900 is so much better! Everything is quicker, more stable, and gets the job done seamlessly. Out of the box, my 8900 is more stable and more smooth than my Storm with .132 OS.

I'm in love with my Curve now, best phone I ever had... After 5 months of tough weather, the Storm had to go away. Good luck to the rest on your Storm.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #44
Tri-Tip
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

I'm on my 6th Blackberry and other than the Storm (my 5th), each one was better than the last. I've never had to upgrade O/S on them, and they have always been close enough to flawless to be considered perfect in my book.

I will go back to the Storm once they get the O/S fixed, and official available. I don't have the time or patience to deal with hacked software and trying to get it to run, until then, I'm satisfied with the Curve.

Speaking to Verizon level 2 support last week on a different matter, they have stopped giving ETA's of the offical release of the new version, whatever it may be.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #45
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

I love my storm. Have no issues really.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #46
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleary19067 View Post
I love my storm. Have no issues really.
Cool. Now where are the other 6 people in the US that also have no issues with the Storm? <g>
Old 05-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #47
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I can name about 10 to 15 people who love their storm and have zero issues with them
Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #48
pdutta2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
I'm on my 6th Blackberry and other than the Storm (my 5th), each one was better than the last. I've never had to upgrade O/S on them, and they have always been close enough to flawless to be considered perfect in my book.

I will go back to the Storm once they get the O/S fixed, and official available. I don't have the time or patience to deal with hacked software and trying to get it to run, until then, I'm satisfied with the Curve.
Almost the exact same scenario as you. The Storm was the first blackberry that didn't just work. Some days it was perfect, others it was a mess. Having to install a reboot app so that your phone works is retarded. Selling a media phone with a camera app that doesn't work is inexcusable. Relying on hacked OS installations to make the phone do what the box says it can do is fraud. Anyways...the past is the past... I'm back to the Pearl...just crossed 200k points on Brickbreaker and haven't had to reboot the phone once in over 3 months. Life is good again and I can count on my Blackberry to work. That's what I expect from a Blackberry.

As for the Storm 2...Been there, done that...I'll leave the touch-screen phone market to Apple. I'm waiting for the Tour.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #49
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I can name about 10 to 15 people who love their storm and have zero issues with them
1. CEO of RIM
2. CFO of RIM
3. VP of sales, RIM
4. VP of engineering, RIM
5. President, RIM

and the names of the other 5-10 folks?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #50
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdutta2000 View Post
Almost the exact same scenario as you. The Storm was the first blackberry that didn't just work. Some days it was perfect, others it was a mess. Having to install a reboot app so that your phone works is retarded. Selling a media phone with a camera app that doesn't work is inexcusable. Relying on hacked OS installations to make the phone do what the box says it can do is fraud. Anyways...the past is the past... I'm back to the Pearl...just crossed 200k points on Brickbreaker and haven't had to reboot the phone once in over 3 months. Life is good again and I can count on my Blackberry to work. That's what I expect from a Blackberry.

As for the Storm 2...Been there, done that...I'll leave the touch-screen phone market to Apple. I'm waiting for the Tour.

My 3 biggest gripes with the Storm (running .75).

1. reboots, daily
2. can't access speakerphone mode if phone is answered in landscape mode (fixed in newer OS releases) AND can't leave speakerphone mode enabled between calls
3. navigation is awful--can't always tell which apps are still open because so many native apps always appear in the activity center, and closing apps like the media player takes too many keypresses.

1. Keyboard
2. screen's color and contrast--great for watching movies--better than Touch
3. call quality and reception(doesn't drop calls)
4. speaker phone loudness
5. ringtones and alert sounds
6. messaging
7.multitasking

Dislikes-minor

1. thickness/weight
2. battery life (inevitable with a touchscreen, I know)
3. vibrate not sufficiently strong

The dealbreaker was the OS's penchant for rebooting and memory leaks galore.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #51
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Your problem was you refused to move off of OS .75

I know too many people to list or name (and none of the work for RIM who enjoy and like their Storm. I am one. My wife is another. Three other extended family members make five. Two neighbors make seven. Four friends make eleven. Half of them are running .75 with no issues, others have upgrade to higher OS releases and liking it.

None of them have returned their original purchased device. So, there are scads of people who do not frequent forums, don't ***** about everything and are perfectly happy with the Storm.

Just because you are not one of them, or you don't personally know them, doesn't mean they are not out there.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #52
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Your problem was you refused to move off of OS .75

I know too many people to list or name (and none of the work for RIM who enjoy and like their Storm. I am one. My wife is another. Three other extended family members make five. Two neighbors make seven. Four friends make eleven. Half of them are running .75 with no issues, others have upgrade to higher OS releases and liking it.

None of them have returned their original purchased device. So, there are scads of people who do not frequent forums, don't ***** about everything and are perfectly happy with the Storm.

Just because you are not one of them, or you don't personally know them, doesn't mean they are not out there.
I just read a post from someone who has been playing with various versions, and for them, they think .75 is more "stable". hehe. wadda ya gonna do? for me, a refund was the smartest choice, as I just want a phone that works--no offense to those who like toying with their phones. Phones aren't my hobby. I have enough hobbies already.

hey, i have NO issue with anyone who likes the Storm. It just wasn't for me. can we agree on that point?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #53
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
1. CEO of RIM
2. CFO of RIM
3. VP of sales, RIM
4. VP of engineering, RIM
5. President, RIM

and the names of the other 5-10 folks?
all family members there skippy.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #54
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
all family members there skippy.
Skippy? Nah, I prefer Jif.

or you can call me Dave or David.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #55
Dawg
No longer Registered.

sorry, just felt your were jabbing at me so I jabbed back.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #56
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
sorry, just felt your were jabbing at me so I jabbed back.
Oh, I wasn't jabbing, nor did I feel you were either. Simply discussing our personal views on a highly controversial topic! It could be worse--I could be typing my feelings about the current administration of our somewhat United States. IF we all agreed on everything, no one would have anything to say, lest they be branded redundant and boring.

Last edited by dave1812dave; 05-20-2009 at 09:18 PM..
Old 05-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #57
Dawg
No longer Registered.

dave we have a section that you can voice your opinion its in the off topic area come on in and join the fun
Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #58
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

I picked up my 9530 back in November, and I've been keeping up to date with leaks (75>76>85>99>109>119>132>141). While I think the Storm has become a pretty capable device, I'll be picking up a 9630 as soon as they launch. The 9530 has been a pretty cool 'toy' but just isn't ready for 'power' use, IMHO. I see it as a great consumer device that has the capability of bringing new users into the RIM world, but it's just not what I - a longtime BB user - was hoping it would be.

If you want a really cool phone with all kinds of multimedia functionality and only deal with a handful (say upto 100) of messages a day, I think the 9530 is pretty well suited to do the job. If you get several hundred messages a day, and are looking for a device with rock solid stability, the 9530's not for you (at least not yet).

Just my $0.02

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 05-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #59
project86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

.132 isn't all that much better. I still have to pull the battery when the system doesn't want to retrieve my email, facebook, texts, surf the web, etc. I can call out, but it loses connection and I am about on my last nerve with Blackberry period. I should have stayed away from this "iPhone killer" as they fraudulently say, and just bought another flip or something. Now I am stuck with a version .132 paperweight that doesn't want to keep the connection.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #60
Carmel Valley Homes Agent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Thanks for the tips. It gives me hope. As a San Diego Realtor I really need reliability when I use my Blackberry to access the MLS.