Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
scottwhittaker

Model: 9520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default Storm 2 Sat Nav and WiFi/Emails

Please Login to Remove!

Hi
I bought a used Storm 2 off eBay and have a sim only contract with O2, nothing fancy just a basic contract sim really with some minutes and texts for £15.

I am new to Blackberrys and wondered if I can install some sat nav software on my phone that will just work without costing me to use it?? Dont mind buying it to start with so long as its free after the initial purchase.

Also, I set my home wifi network up on the phone but whenever I use the browser its very slow and I think (from looking at my bills) that its using the 3G network rather than my home wifi network as I seem to have been charged for it. How can I be sure I am usign my home broadband and not the 3G network?

Lastly, (sorry I'm just not sure about smart phones/blackberries etc) is there a way of reading my emails without a blackberry contract? Say from my own domain name, I used to have a Sony Ericsson K850i and even that allowed me to read my personal emails (pretty well also at minimum cost) but I can seem to do this on the BB Storm2.

Once again sorry its a very varied post! Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards
Scott
Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You need a BB data plan for BB services such as email, BBM, BB Maps, Google Maps etc. In addition, just about all of the map applications use BB data as the map is downloaded as needed and not stored on the device itself.

As for WiFi, some carriers require the BB data plan be in place before sending the WiFi service books. I don't know if your carrier is one of those with that requirement or not. Someone on O2 should be able to provide a proper response to that question.

For more info on setting up your WiFi, please look at our FAQ. There is a WiFi section that should help.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

All sat nav/maps applications use data to get the maps.
Without a blackberry data plan, or depending on the apps, any data plan; its pretty much useless; as you won't have wi-fi everywhere you'll use sat nav.

Change your browser to HOTSPOT as this ONLY uses wi-fi. Options - advanced - browser - top option.

And no, apart from loggin to via the browser to a webmail site, you would need a blackberry bolt-on to get email via the native email client.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread