BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Default Confussed

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so I'm realizing myblackberry.us is an MDS, not a BES. Even after Mark's wonderful tutorials and FAQ's I'm still confussed. I use myblackberry.us currently, for what I do currently they are WONDERFUL.

However I've noticed that lately, especially since people realize now I am always reachable through IM or email, they've been pounding me with work emails while I'm off the clock. No biggie that's why I bought this. However my needs are changing, here is what I need. I'm hoping Mark or someone more BES/MDS savvy can help me out:

1: Wireless Sync of the calendar (I am told that myblackberry can do that, but I haven't the foggiest HOW to sync it wirelessly)

2: Unlimited data through the service

3: IM abilities (mainly webmessenger)

4: Ability to view all sorts of attachments from txt to pdf to sxc

5: Another email address for push isn't really needed, unless I can get away from BWC completely via it (myblackberry can do it, but again I haven't the foggiest, I still use BWC for email)

6: html webpages of course

My biggest concern is being able to view attachments, I get at least 30 emails a day from clients, prospects, and co-workers, most of them have attachments, most of those attachments are sxc spreadsheets, and doc's with tables in them (which I still can't view the tables GAH). So I guess my biggest need is attachment viewing, and wireless sync.

I'm not sure if what I need falls under MDS or BES, hell I'm still not even 100% sure what the difference is lol.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 09-09-2004, 02:30 PM   #2
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

OK, I am not the best qualified to answer this -- I'm sure Mark will speak up shortly -- but here is my understanding. MDS is a feature of BES. Myblackberry.us give you access to that feature. In other words, I believe you have access to BES. Mailstreet's Blackberry service is EXACTLY the same thing. MDS over BES. HOWEVER -- Mailstreet also gives you a hosted Exchange Server account.

I believe that for your needs, Myblackberry.us is as good as Mailstreet. The only thing you are not able to do with EITHER service, is view an extended list of attachements. In order to overcome that problem, you will have to resort to third party software solutions. You can get some of what you need with METAmessage (from onsetinc.com) and some from eOffice (dynoplex.com). When OS 4.0 is fully deployed, some of these features will be improved on the native Blackberry front, but most likely not well enough to handle the more professional needs you seem to have. I would suggest checking out eOffice and METAmessage -- they both offer free trials and should be very helpful for you.

Hope this helps. Hope I'm right
Old 09-09-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Yea, I've used eOffice for the trial, once it fits in the budget, I will be taking the offer I was sent via email for a payment plan for the software, as 150 is a bit hefty to dish at once lol. I will check out METAmessage in a bit. I appreciate the answer I thought myblackberry did what I needed, but the extended attachment is the problem I face currently.

Appreciated!

edit: Rather then creating another thread, how do I tell if I am still using BWC versus myblackberry? I noticed META offers a service for blackberry's NOT connected to the BWC, just need to find out how I check this, and get started eliminating the BWC at the end of the month. Thanks again

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 09-12-2004, 02:19 AM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Misinformation correction. There's no such thing as hosted MDS without an Exchange mailbox (at this time).

Exchange = A Microsoft email server, which the most common Blackberry Enterprise Server works with. This is what nearly all hosted MDS services uses.

MyBlackberry does Exchange. Their emphasis is on MDS. However, MDS does not work without Exchange/email, with the way the BES infrastructure requires Exchange, and thus, all MDS services includes a mailbox, such as Exchange. They just don't advertise it as aggressively as they do the MDS feature. Mailstreet is quite the opposite, they advertise Exchange first and foremost;

This may change in the future, I have no idea, but I hope this clarifies things.

Wireless sync: This requires Exchange email anyways

Attachments: This requires Exchange email anyways

IM Abilities: Does not require Exchange

Webpages: Does not require Exchange

Unlimited data: This is dependant on your plan with your carrier, all the MDS services I know of are unlimited but you still pay for carrier data charges unless your carrier is unlimited.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-12-2004, 02:22 AM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

When you compose your email message, scroll the email to above the top of the "To:" field. You will see a "Using:" field.

Change this to:

Using: Web Client (to send through BWC, uses your @blackberry.net address)

or

Using: Desktop (to send through BES/MDS, uses Exchange mailbox address)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Closed Thread