Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #61
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlissner View Post
I just got my first blackberry after years with the PalmOS with Kyo7135 and all the VZW Treos (600, 650, 700p).

My main app for those devices was Agendus from Iambic Software. One of the things that Agendus did well was provide multiple view options (single day, week, today screen). It allowed for Calendar items and tasks to be displayed on multiple lines if they took up extra area.

I also like the use of icons to be associated with tasks and meetings, and the linking of contacts to tasks and meetings that made it easy to look up a contacts phone number when dealing with a task or meeting.

What Agendus did was combine all the PIM functions (contacts, tasks, and meetings) in to a single user interface with a nice GUI, but still used the native database of the palm.

I know in the Palm world their were many Agendus users and just as many users of Datebk5 from pimlico. Both of these would be good places to look for ideas on layout and additional functionality.

My first impression with Pocket Day is excellent and the customer support I have gotten has been first rate (better turn around than Iambic). I will be purchasing it once the trial period is up.

Can some one explain to me the difference between Pocketday personal and professional?

well said!
My thoughts exactly!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #62
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I've read alot of good suggestions but what I'd like to see is a fix for some problems that have been an issue for some of us. The Mark All As Read is really a problem.

Also, I'd like to add, the abiliby to page up and down rather than scroll and how about supporting "Inject Into" from RexWireless software?

I think having pages like Journal Bar or Yahoo Go is nice but functional and easy to read and move around over pretty is important to me. I'm thinking of a page for Calendar, Calls and Email. A page for news, weather and stocks and a page for agenda/todo.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #63
mdlissner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Pocket Day Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
Well given the serious responses from this post, I think it is pretty obvious that the BB needs a FULL featured PIM app such as this.

I do like Pocket Day, and coming from Palm OS and Agendus - Agendus for Palm OS Professional Edition - The ultimate personal information manager for Palm, links and enhances Meetings, Tasks, Memos, Contacts, Email, and powerful wireless services please see this product, I feel that you need to really improve the PIM aspect of it in terms of Calendar/task management.

Why improve on an already great email device? If we want to have email support we just goto mail application, I don't think you need to improve that section at all. It's the basic contact, calendar management that needs serious attention.

You can really learn from the Palm OS in that they put the PIM aspect up front to manage day to day items, people, etc.

The BB already has a great email application so no need for further fuss with it.

Please bring new, fresh ideas to the Calendar and Task sections like -

1. Icons set - basic (for meetings)
2. Easier editing of items within PD
3. Drag and drop items, highlight/hold trackball - rescheduling
4. Pop up calendar for editing/moving items
5. Year view?
6. Linking items - as mentioned - (tasks, contacts)
7. Filters! - by category
8. List of events - i.e. Birthdays
9. Create item with Contact from address book, i.e. appointment, task to do
10. Edit items within Pday! (appts,tasks) without going to native BB app.

Thanks!

As always, thanks for bringing a great needed product to the BB
FKJR2 - I love all your suggestions above. I think the market is prime for CRS to take the lead in the full function PIM for Blackberry -

> If we can get the linking of contacts into tasks and calendar items that would be the biggest thing for V5.
> Icons would be second on my list. With the ability to create custom icons with a built in Icon editor.
> Fix the issue with editing tasks bringing you to a white screen when you save and close, requiring another press of the back key.

Mark

Cingular BB8800
Old 05-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #64
fkjr2

Mark, yes indeed, very good points there! I hope 5.0 is a nice leap forward.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #65
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlissner View Post
FKJR2 - I love all your suggestions above. I think the market is prime for CRS to take the lead in the full function PIM for Blackberry -
They've taken the lead in a field of one

There are some free utilities but they aren't reliable. I've used PocketDay since the beginning and I'm also looking forward to V5. CRS has always said the API was limiting. Reading recently that RIM expanded the API so spur third party development, I'm really hoping we're going to see something very nice.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:00 AM   #66
OrganicBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
Please bring new, fresh ideas to the Calendar and Task sections like -

2. Easier editing of items within PD
Only been using PD for about a month (purchasing license today) - and this is the one thing I'd love to see.

From the main screen, a hotkey to start a new task - i.e. goes right to the new task screen.

Other than that, I absolutely LOVE PD.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #67
crs

Carrier: cingular

All,

I wish we could add all these features. One of the reasons we created PocketDay lists was because of the limitations on tasks in the BlackBerry itself.

Even though RIM expanded the API support, they barely touched the PIM API's at all. We could link contacts to calendar / task items, but we would have to take over the notes field (which we are looking into). There are no extra fields, nor does RIM let us access all the fields that they use. There are no categories in the calendar, only tasks and they just made those available in OS 4.2 (pearl, 8800 and curve).

in addition, there are issues with recurring items as well in that they don't show up properly with our queries to the API. We have worked around most of these for now.

We will do all we can, I can promise you that.

-crs
Old 05-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #68
mdlissner

As I have stated once or twice before the key item to make PocketDay a full featured PIM, in my humble opinion, is the ability to link contacts with tasks and meetings. Whatever the implementation is that does that is I can probably live with. What this linking should be able to do is:

> When opening a task/meeting with a linked contact from the address book the contact should be shown in some sort of hyperlinked, italicized, or bold text font to differentiate it from the subject or location.
> Selecting on that contact should pop up a menu similar to what would come up in the address book like:
- Drive To <Name>
- Call <Name>
- SMS <Name>
- Email <Name>

It it could do this it would be a huge improvement over the current PIM function.

Mark

Cingular BB8800
Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM   #69
fkjr2

just bought PD - looking forward to version 5
Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 AM   #70
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

Installed 4.25 and demo'ing on my 8830
Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #71
Corman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

CRS has for a long time been a leader in this area. They also squeeze all of the functionality possible with each new version. I am sure with some patience we will see a great new version.

7250, 7130e, 8703e, 8830 and now the 8330
Old 05-31-2007, 09:24 AM   #72
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corman View Post
CRS has for a long time been a leader in this area. They also squeeze all of the functionality possible with each new version. I am sure with some patience we will see a great new version.
It has been 4+ months
Old 06-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #73
rustypixel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm not yet a user (or even an owner) of a BB (yet!) but I have to say that once I leave my Treo the one thing, and one thing only that I will miss is Agendus. I love their calendar and tasks functions and it's the only thing about my Treo that keeps me using it. I've been reading these boards for a couple of weeks now and I have heard it mentioned more than a few times that if Iambic ever ports Agenda to the BB they'll jump on it. As soon as I get the BB I'll be looking for a PIM to use and so far everyone says that PocketDay is the one to go with so I'm keeping a close eye on this.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark View Post
Take a good look at Agenda Fusion or Datebook for the Pocket PC. Model your interface and functionality after those apps and yours will sell like hot cakes.

Out of my mind and out of control!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #74
Tixxx

Carrier: t-mobile

Can't wait to see it! :D
Old 06-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #75
mdlissner

How Close are we know to Version 5 Release?

Mark

Cingular BB8800
Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #76
CableGuy711

Carrier: T-Mobile

Let us know when you need beta testers for V5. I'm in
Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #77
maximax
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: None

And me too..
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #78
pnd4pnd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

losing faith this will actually arrive. no communication from cross river, no screenshots, nothing.... the silence is deafening :(
Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #79
bostonnerd

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnd4pnd View Post
losing faith this will actually arrive. no communication from cross river, no screenshots, nothing.... the silence is deafening :(
It's not like him to go dark for this long. Usually quite communicative. I hope everything is okay with him. I was also expecting at least some screen shots by now.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #80
crs

Carrier: cingular

We haven't gone dark, just working hard. We will be posting screenshots over the weekend. The software is not feature complete, but you can expect to see this:

Calendar Changes
Link contacts to calendar items (allows quick email and calls to the linked contact from within PocketDay)
Display time on left side of the screen
New larger monthview with daily preview by pressing the spacebar on a day
Monthview now uses trackball to scroll in all directions

Email Changes
New Email preview (press spacebar on an email in the today page)
New create calendar item direct from email view (functionality from PD Lists)

General Changes
New Section for Text Messages (separate email / sms)
Single trackball click to open items from the summary screen
Proper use of the trackball / full menu key
New ability to use Font Antialiasing and Font effects
New 3D look for section headers
New Full Screen Section mode (allows any section to take up the whole screen by moving the trackball left/right...you'll see...)

and more...
Closed Thread