8300guy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
I've had a curve practically since AT&T started carrying them. I've had it first in an 8800 OEM leather case and then in the Curve OEM leather case ever since - except for the times it rides loose in my pocket. Still looks like new - no scratches, marks, peeling.

I'm starting to think that perhaps some of these had problems in the factor so that the finish isn't adhering as well as it should.

Also sounds like the Seidio clip rubs the top too much. If my first guess is right, then it would make sense for those with manufacturing problems to start peeling first from the clip.

Curious: anyone using the clip for any length of time NOT seeing scratching and peeling?
I've been using the Seidio holster for the last six weeks with BES skin on the Curve. In and out of the holster all day. The unit still looks new . The clip drags along the top rubber in two spots as you put it into the holster but the clip doesn't even touch the top rubber in the final position. There's a very slight indent on the skin on the back cover where the clip rests.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #22
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8300guy View Post
I've been using the Seidio holster for the last six weeks with BES skin on the Curve. In and out of the holster all day. The unit still looks new . The clip drags along the top rubber in two spots as you put it into the holster but the clip doesn't even touch the top rubber in the final position. There's a very slight indent on the skin on the back cover where the clip rests.

...and the BES skin doesn't go over the rubberized parts, right? Just the hard plastic surfaces?

So it would seem that perhaps the manufacturing process hasn't been 100% consistent across all Curves, and that some might be more vulnerable to this peeling phenomenon...?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #23
8300guy

Quote:
...and the BES skin doesn't go over the rubberized parts, right? Just the hard plastic surfaces?

So it would seem that perhaps the manufacturing process hasn't been 100% consistent across all Curves, and that some might be more vulnerable to this peeling phenomenon...?
right, BES doesn't cover any of the rubber surfaces.

I agree, I think it's a manufacturing process issue. My rubber still looks brand spanking new (made in Mexico) and I hope it stays that way!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #24
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
right, BES doesn't cover any of the rubber surfaces.

I agree, I think it's a manufacturing process issue. My rubber still looks brand spanking new (made in Mexico) and I hope it stays that way!
Mine was made in Mexico too, and so far it's held up fine. Don't know if all of them were made there, if this is a coincidence, or if it means anything at all... just keeping my fingers crossed for now...
Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #25
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Mine is peeling and I never had a holster. I carry it in my pocket with no keys etc.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #26
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Mine is peeling and I never had a holster. I carry it in my pocket with no keys etc.
Strange. I've had mine pretty much since they first started shipping. Either been in the OEM case or my pocket (no keys) - or my hand. No marks, no peeling. I wonder what the difference is?

Richard - where was yours made? (look inside)
Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #27
rextilleon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Whats your point---you have yours 8300 skinned----Most people buy this product with no intention of "skinning" it. Lets be frank, this has nothing to do with RIM---its has to do with the Seido holster being a poorly designed product. The funny thing is that the Seidio people come in here and shill their products all the time. When there is a problem, they remain eilent.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 AM   #28
8300guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
Whats your point---you have yours 8300 skinned----Most people buy this product with no intention of "skinning" it. Lets be frank, this has nothing to do with RIM---its has to do with the Seido holster being a poorly designed product. The funny thing is that the Seidio people come in here and shill their products all the time. When there is a problem, they remain eilent.
BES doesn't cover or protect the rubber at all so it's not causing the peel is my point. It's a RIM manufacturing quality issue on some units imo!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #29
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastalox View Post
Help....had this blackberry less than a month i never take leave it out...it is always kept in the seidio holster except for phone calls, texts, and im's. Now the top rubber piece where the mute button is is peeling....looks like from the holster but not sure. What should i do?????

thanks
First of all, let me apologize for not seeing this thread earlier. Our holster was specifically designed NOT to scratch the Blackberry if used properly. The spring clip is supposed to be lifted before the device is pushed back into the hoslter. If you're simply shoving the Blackberry into the holster then naturally the clip is going to rub across the top. This is the reason we went to a spring clip design in the first place. The old clip type holsters did exactly what you're talking about. They would rub the finish off the top of the device. If used correctly, ours is the most "finish friendly" holster there is.

Thanks

Last edited by seidioseidio; 08-16-2007 at 10:54 AM..
Old 08-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #30
rextilleon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Utter nonsense----How dare you insinuate that I don't know how to handle the Curve and this expensive piece of crap you call a holster. I always pull the clip back. I have never PUSHED my Curve back into the holster---The other nonsense about this somehow being RIM"s fault is incredibly naive. This piece of ***** has literally torn into the top edge of my Curve---there is no pealing or anything else----just gouges at exactly the point where the clip strikes the surface of my unit.

By the way Mr. Seido, you finally appeared. I was hoping that you would come in here and admit that your product had a problem. Unfortunately, you decided to attack the messenger rather then addressing the issue. As I said in another post, you could pull this product off the market, refund the money to all who have had the same experience. Of course you won't because its all about profits.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #31
pnd4pnd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
First of all, let me apologize for not seeing this thread earlier. Our holster was specifically designed NOT to scratch the Blackberry if used properly. The spring clip is supposed to be lifted before the device is pushed back into the hoslter. If you're simply shoving the Blackberry into the holster then naturally the clip is going to rub across the top. This is the reason we went to a spring clip design in the first place. The old clip type holsters did exactly what you're talking about. They would rub the finish off the top of the device. If used correctly, ours is the most "finish friendly" holster there is.

Thanks
Although i am not that upset at the peeling, I'd like to call bull on this. NO WHERE in the package did it say anything about having to lift the clip to not damage the finish. Let's face it everyone is going to push it in and the top will begin peeling. I can't believe people are that upset with this... its a phone, no a family heirloom. The top is shiny black plastic under the rubber and once all of it peels away it looks just fine.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #32
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnd4pnd View Post
Although i am not that upset at the peeling, I'd like to call bull on this. NO WHERE in the package did it say anything about having to lift the clip to not damage the finish. Let's face it everyone is going to push it in and the top will begin peeling. I can't believe people are that upset with this... its a phone, no a family heirloom. The top is shiny black plastic under the rubber and once all of it peels away it looks just fine.
I agree entirely. Even the oem plastic holster case of the 8700 started to put wear on the unit.

Last edited by carsmovies; 08-18-2007 at 11:02 PM..
Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #33
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Yea I don't buy the lift the clip idea. half of the ease of use is just snapping it back in without lifting the clip. And my bb only is marred where the seidio holster clip rubs across the top. That being said I actually still don't blame seidio really. This is a very very thin rubber coating on top of hard plastic and things besides the seidio holster can rub it off easily. I love this seidio holster design and don't think I'd use another. I think its just unfortunate there is that slim rubber coating and not an entire rubberized piece around the side of the unit. But I can't blame rim either.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #34
rextilleon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Some people like to maintain the quality of their investment---so the point about it only being a phone might ring true for you, but for many others it does not. My whole argument is that this is a flawed clip, and that rather then making excuses, the seller should merely refund the money to all and pull the product off the market until it can be re-manufactured to work correctly.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #35
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

I can certainly empathize re: the "not just a phone" perspective. We clearly all regard purchases like this somewhat differently, and shouldn't assume that everyone has to share the same perspective. I tend to want to keep most of my purchases looking and feeling new as long as I can if aesthetics had anything to do with the purchase in the first place. I have a couple of 30 year old Nikons that still look and work like new - and it's not for lack of use - I'm just exceedingly careful about them. My mobile phone collection goes back 15 years, and I have half a dozen gems that look and work like new still - and that's part of what I can enjoy about them.

The reason there's such a hot aftermarket in cases, skins and screen protectors for phone is that I'm not the only one who wants to protect fancy expensive gadgets and keep them looking nice. Most buyers will also wind up living with their phone/BB for 1 to 2 years or more, and many don't have the option to simply replace it if it gets banged up cosmetically. I can easily understand being upset if the finish on my Curve were to start peeling off. The resale value suddenly drops dramatically, and the part of you that was enjoying it for aesthetic value has to abruptly take a back seat to the practical perspective that "it's just a phone" - I would be really upset to see my Curve peeling. If that really was the only consideration, then RIM wouldn't have to bother coming out with new, slicker, prettier housings every year, and people wouldn't be writing extensive threads speculating about the color of the new 8320, or the fit and finish of the LG Prada. It's clear that cosmetics and aesthetics is part of the equation - but it's also clear that we each weight that part of it differently, and we should allow for that and respect it.

Re: the Seidio clip doing the damage: I've been looking at the clip since it came out, and considering ordering it. But the clips I've had in the past have, in fact, marred my other phones - including the hard plastic OEM holster for the 8700, so I was hesitant about this one. I've been following threads like this specifically to see what other people experience before buying one myself. The overall design seems far more finish-friendly than typical aftermarket holsters - but I was, in fact, concerned about the top clip. My understanding from all of this is that the Seidio top clip probably will mar the top of the Curve unless you explicitly lift it each time you pop the phone into the holster. Unfortunately, the rubberized coating on the Curve edges seems to be pretty fragile - as nice as it feels as a grip, it's not an especially robust finish. As Inphektion pointed out, half the reason for a clip is the ease with which you can simply pop the Curve back into it - so it would probably be a bit irritiating to have to worry about lifting the clip first before popping the phone in, and it's probably something that's way too easy to forget to do, since you *can* simply press the Curve into the holster. Much as the holster appeals to me, I have a feeling that I would want to simply press the phone in place and not worry about raising the clip first - and it sounds like I'd wind up with peeling rubber on top, and I'd be annoyed as well.

If I were in Seidio's position, I doubt that I would pull the clip off the market. Seems that there are a number of people who like it, are willing to be careful about raising the clip first and making sure it doesn't contact the top of the phone, and who haven't had any peeling rubber problem. But after reading a number of posts about the potential for the clip to mar the finish if you're not careful about its use, I would put a clear warning on the Seidio website about the potential for this, as well as in the product literature. Nothing fancy - just a note to the effect that the clip *could* mar the rubber coating if you allow it to rub the phone when you're putting it in or taking it out. In the meantime, it appears that Seidio will, indeed, refund purchase price to anyone disappointed in the product, and it's my understanding that this is their general approach to customer relations anyway. It's certainly a shame that people are experiencing peeling rubber on their shiny new Curves, and it would certainly upset me to experience that.

@Rextilleon: I don't know what your options are. For example, you might make a claim with AT&T that the device finish is defective and ask for a replacement. If not, and if you feel strongly enough about this (and I would in your place), I would order a replacement OEM housing such as the one offered here for $29:

bb-8300-05 BlackBerry curve 8300 OEM housing w/silver lens (AT&T)- Samsung, NEC, Acer, Alcatel, Motorola, Sony, HTC, LG, Apple, Tools, Accessories

There's at least one video on YouTube that shows how to dissassemble the Curve, and it doesn't look especially difficult. It's annoying to go through this, but for about $30 and some time, you can get the Curve looking and feeling new again. (although I imagine there might be a warranty issue if the device is opened?). Not a perfect solution, but with Seidio's refund and a new housing, the downside of the experience would be minimized, and your Curve would be like new.

In the meantime, I'm probably going to wait and watch before opting for the Seidio holster for the unskinned Curve. I really appreciate Seidio in general, but it seems that the combination of phone and clip might not be ideal for some of us.

Last edited by vinmontRD; 08-19-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Old 08-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #36
rextilleon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Good post---This is my first BB, and my first experience with a straight clip---I use to use a leather case with a clip on my Razr. Thanks for the advice on ATT----I would make the claim, but I don't think its true. There is no doubt in my mind that the marring was caused by the Seido product. If I ever want to sell the Curve, I might just explore your suggestion for an OEM housing. Didn't even know that it exists.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #37
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Also I've used the seidio clip on the 8100, 8700 and 8800. None of those marked the BB in the least because of the design of the BB. For as quick as they make these there was no way they would know that this time it would eventually mark off the top of the 8300.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #38
C. Gomez

Just want to throw it out there that this might not be to blame on the Seido case.

I don't have that particular case; I just keep mine in my pocket alone without any other objects and after about two months or so, the top of mine has begun peeling. I'll probably just purchase the casing online and repair it but I'd say this is probably RIM and poorly chosen material.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #39
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Gomez View Post
Just want to throw it out there that this might not be to blame on the Seido case.

I don't have that particular case; I just keep mine in my pocket alone without any other objects and after about two months or so, the top of mine has begun peeling. I'll probably just purchase the casing online and repair it but I'd say this is probably RIM and poorly chosen material.
I'm guessing that there may have been manufacturing problems with some amount of these. We're hearing peeling stories from a few people - but others (like me) who have had the Curve since it came out (practically) have had no peeling problems at all (and mine has seen a lot of use).

Good luck with a new housing!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #40
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Default Mexico

Mexico

Quote:
Strange. I've had mine pretty much since they first started shipping. Either been in the OEM case or my pocket (no keys) - or my hand. No marks, no peeling. I wonder what the difference is?

Richard - where was yours made? (look inside)
Closed Thread