Old 12-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb .75 >> .76 Upgrade

Please Login to Remove!

I just did an upgrade from .75 to .76. It took about a half hour. I used the app loader to do this. ALl programs, apps, and data were successfully transfered. To preclude any problems, I did *228/2 to make sure the phone was properly registered and also pushed the service books (not absolutely necessary as they showed up when I first turned it on after the upgrade. But I did it anyway as it is trivial and I would rather eliminate this as a possible issue).

With all my 3rd party apps loaded, I have 45.5 mb of free memory. This is about 5 MB better than .75

The camera is a lot faster. I would estimate only a second or two delay, not substantially worse than my good HP digital camera. Getting the camera to work is worth the effort of the update.

The keyboard sensitivity seems to be reduced (not good). I turned it up to the highest swipe sensitivity but this has little effect.

Most third party apps still do not respond to portrait/landscape switching.

I will update this post in a day or so when I have a chance to see how this version of the OS works. So far, other than the keyboard issue, the rest is positive. 73

Last edited by hudres; 12-07-2008 at 02:45 PM..
Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
NYSStorm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

In terms of the third party apps and them not responding to portrait/landscape switching, try this out:

Home > Options > Advanced Options > Applications

From there, highlight each of the third party programs that are having these issues and click the menu button. You'll find an option that says "disable compatibility mode". Select that and then save your changes.

Once you're back at the home screen, you can either try to see if it works... or do a battery pull.

This usually fixes it.

I had to do this on my Beyond411 application. It works perfectly now. As if it was written for the storm. :D

Tell me how it turned out!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
gautam

PIN: 304ABA82
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

where i can find the .76 for verizon storm ?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

It was available from Bell Mobilty, Canada, but they took the link down several hours after they put it up. So... you will just have use google to the best of your ability, otherwise.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
hudres

Lightbulb 3rd Party Apps Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSStorm View Post
In terms of the third party apps and them not responding to portrait/landscape switching, try this out:

Home > Options > Advanced Options > Applications

From there, highlight each of the third party programs that are having these issues and click the menu button. You'll find an option that says "disable compatibility mode". Select that and then save your changes.

Once you're back at the home screen, you can either try to see if it works... or do a battery pull.

This usually fixes it.

I had to do this on my Beyond411 application. It works perfectly now. As if it was written for the storm. :D

Tell me how it turned out!

I appreciate the advice. I have tried this on each program with the problem and it has had no effect. I am currently working with a vendor on analyzing the problem.

WRT: Getting .76: As always JS is correct. It was up for a very short period of time. I was lucky to get it.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
financeman01

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Edit feature

has anyone using .76 noticed if the edit feature works in emails? It worked fine in .75, but i cant seem to make it work in .76
Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Byproxy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

i'd also love some additional feedback on the official vzw .75 vs. .76. i actually switched back from .76 to the official .75 when it came out but am open to going back to .76 of the general concensis is that it's better. in the short time i used .76 i couldn't notice much of a difference from .75, but that could simply be because i didn't use it long enough.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Having read a lot of posts regarding this (and not having a Storm) the consensus is that .75 and .76 are the same ingredients. People's perception as to how they work depends on a lot of things, not the ingredients. The length of time the OS is used in the device affects its operation for sure, as well as settings, apps, and other stuff.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
hudres

Lightbulb Not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
Having read a lot of posts regarding this (and not having a Storm) the consensus is that .75 and .76 are the same ingredients. People's perception as to how they work depends on a lot of things, not the ingredients. The length of time the OS is used in the device affects its operation for sure, as well as settings, apps, and other stuff.
Having a Storm and having run both .75 and .76 I would have to disagree. Until you have exercised all the functions in a comparative fashion, you cannot make this call. Also you need to consider the technical competence of the people writing the reviews. I know my competence level (NT, 2000, XP certified admin among other things. Unix, Linux RSM RSX. Been using computers since punchcard days) What are the qualifications of the other people posting comments? I am not making this comment to dis anyone, I am just observing the obvious fact that not everyone who posts in an open forum has the same level of expertise. Would you go to a baker for a medical diagnosis? We are all users on an even plane, but we are not all even on a technical plane. 73
Old 12-10-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Default Help!!!!!!!

Okay so I decided not to post another thread about this, but for some reason, my DM won't recognize .76 software. I deleted the vendor.xml but nothing. Any help?

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Byproxy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
Having a Storm and having run both .75 and .76 I would have to disagree. Until you have exercised all the functions in a comparative fashion, you cannot make this call. Also you need to consider the technical competence of the people writing the reviews. I know my competence level (NT, 2000, XP certified admin among other things. Unix, Linux RSM RSX. Been using computers since punchcard days) What are the qualifications of the other people posting comments? I am not making this comment to dis anyone, I am just observing the obvious fact that not everyone who posts in an open forum has the same level of expertise. Would you go to a baker for a medical diagnosis? We are all users on an even plane, but we are not all even on a technical plane. 73
this said, any further review now that you've messed with it for a few days?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask
Default .75 to .76

I am just going to toss this one out there - objectively and not antagonistically.

As a Verizon customer, the OS .75 pushed to my phone wirelessly was designed specifically for my Verizon 9530. Other than the camera application, my phone performance improved so dramatically I am content to await Verizon's next upgrade to correct any remaining issues.

So far, I am seeing nothing but negative aspects associated with .76, which is in my opinion a questionable version not specifically designed for the 9530. If you depend upon your phone and its optimum performance, prudence demands that you not treat it like a toy by uploading a "bootleg" OS into this amazing device.

Please don't take this as an attack on any of the individuals who are willing to take risks in effort to trick out their phones. I am just cautioning VZW customers who may be on the fence.

Additionally, using the app loader I am told is a protracted process. I completed the upgrade to .75 wirelessly in approximately 10-15 minutes. No errors or snags and my Storm runs like a top - with the exception of the camera application. But the camera still serves it purpose for what I require.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 12-10-2008 at 12:03 PM..
Old 12-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

My previous BB was an 8703e... so I had no experience w/ their camera sw...

a coworker has a pearl, and says it works the same crappy way... so, my gut feeling is either RIM doesn't think it's a problem... or, they don't know what to do about it.

I concur w/ your premise that the "official" OS is best... you can tweak it however you like, but a bootleg OS doesn't seem prudent when dealing with your information etc. How could you know your Phone OS (you know the one you use to text, take pictures, send and recieve email) is secure if you get it from a completely 3rd party? It could have all sorts of open ports or keylogging etc... just my .02, but I'll stick to the official releases.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
T-Squared
Thumbs Must Hurt

I was on the leaked .75 OS for about a week and yesterday I went to .76. I haven't noticed a bunch of differences but I can say the memory leakage is greatly improved on my Storm. I used to be around 20mb by 2pm, Im still at 38mb currently with e-mail, sms, phone calls all day long. A battery pull would temporally fix the memory, but I am a heavy business user and at times I just need my phone to work.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
hudres

Lightbulb Since you asked ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byproxy View Post
this said, any further review now that you've messed with it for a few days?

Followup Review on .75 >> .76

I have noted the same improvement on the memory leakage issue as mentioned above. Further, I have noticed that the phone seems to automatically purge memory without the need for a reboot. It does not go all the way back to the base 46MB, but it goes to 40 to 42 MB by itself.

The keyboard (screen) tweaks recommended on other threads have made a significant improvement in the typing.

The problem with switching between landscape and portrait on 3rd party apps continues. I do try the Compatibility Mode function on any app that does not switch by itself. This works on about 50% of the software.

Internet Browsing is possible (compared to my 8703e where it took so long and left you with unreadable pages).

The accelerometer functionality is substantially improved over .75.

I seem to have gotten to a point where my usage of this phone is at the same speed as it was on the 8703e. The .76 upgrade has moved the phone to a level of functionality that is quite acceptable.

I got a RIM brand holster with the magnet in it which has improved the battery life significantly. The phone stays in standby most of the time. I answer the phone using my Bluetooth headset without taking it out of the holster.

I have had zero problems with Bluetooth. I use two devices interchangeably. The phone handles the detection perfectly and quickly (takes about 5 seconds to detect a device).

VZNavigator works well as long as there is satellite coverage. It locks up when it loses the satellite which can be frustrating. Data input is a pain in the neck. The only thing that seems to work is to first enter the address in the Address Book. Then VZN picks it up okay.

The Voice Dialing is usable but klutzy. The decision to us a system that does not require training causes the system to ask a lot of questions. On my old Motorola cell phone, I had to train it for each number but it was incredibly accurate. I would prefer this. On the other hand, the current system access the entire address book which is not bad. Just gotta live with it.

The phone is sometimes a little fluky. It does not always stay in the Bluetooth mode. This is easily fixed by tapping the screen to get the Bluetooth back. It would be nice if there was a "Last Number Called" function as well as an easily accessed phone log that you can dial from.

I have had a couple of unanticipated reboots, but they seem to occur when I have entered too many commands too quickly. I gues it just gets confused and decides to start over.

In general. I am very satisfied with the phone with .76. I have figured out a stable set of 3rd party apps which address my needs. I can wait until the next upgrade is available. No regrets. 73

Last edited by hudres; 12-10-2008 at 10:29 PM..
Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #16
Byproxy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
The keyboard tweaks recommended on other threads have made a significant improvement in the typing.
by keyboard tweaks... are you referring to the screen tweaks (key rate and such) or something different?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #17
hudres

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byproxy View Post
by keyboard tweaks... are you referring to the screen tweaks (key rate and such) or something different?
Key rate,, sensitivity, etc. 73
Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #18
angeloselina

Model: storm
Default os .76

trying desperately to find the 76 how
Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #19
candrist

PIN: 30480166

I would not recommending installing an OS not for that device if you can't even find it online.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
Doctor Neutron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

I am having several a tough time with new (75) versus old (65) on several news feeds, including the portrait-landscape issue. The WSJ (65) feed was portrait only, with a useless KYBD, but it was an awesome feed. The compatibility trick failed. Now, with the new (75), portrait/landscape works, but scrolling is completely disabled, a deal breaker ! Same for the AP feed. BBC feed will not install under (75). Reuters continues to work fine, but I cannot see any of their videos. Slate works great.
Closed Thread