Old 11-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #21
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblack9530 View Post
You must have the latest Desktop Manager or it will NOT work. I learned the hard way.
This is a ridiculous statement. In fact, you don't need Desktop Manager at all to upgrade your OS. I NEVER use Desktop Manager. I use Loader.exe that comes packaged with the OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo1994 View Post
check blackberry.com for the RECOMENDED OS for your phone...its amazing the things ppl do to have the "latest" on their phone...The pre-installed OS on blackberry's are recommended from RIM for a reason, or it would have come pre-installed with 5.0..
Another ridiculous statement! As stated above, OS 5.0 wasn't released at the time, therefore it wasn't loaded on the device at the time.

with statements like I've quoted above, no wonder some of the new members here get so confused. For the sake of helping others, please know what you're talking about prior to making posts.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #22
Russo1994
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: you'd like that wouldn't you...
Carrier: Vercrapon(i mean Verizon..)
Cool boooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. In fact, you don't need Desktop Manager at all to upgrade your OS. I NEVER use Desktop Manager. I use Loader.exe that comes packaged with the OS.

Another ridiculous statement! As stated above, OS 5.0 wasn't released at the time, therefore it wasn't loaded on the device at the time.

with statements like I've quoted above, no wonder some of the new members here get so confused. For the sake of helping others, please know what you're talking about prior to making posts.

I guess i should have specified for all the "comeback-ers" on this site..when it was released on the the 26th, I would probably give it some time before you rush to it...or until you had problems with the device itself...Ever heard of "If it aint broke, don't fix it"..? Same as with the enterprise server 5.0. Millions of people are still using 4.1.6, should they upgrade just cause 4.1.7 or 5.0 is out?? NO..not until they start having issues with their server. Ask a RIM tech, not a BBforums dude with too much time on his hands...

Long thread short, if your having problems with your OS by all means try the upgrade to see if it fixes it. But if you just want it cause its new...no further comment.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #23
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
I guess i should have specified for all the "comeback-ers" on this site..
Not too sure what you mean by "comeback-ers". Plenty of people visit this site and never register, just come to get info and go on their way. My point is this thread is filled with tons of misinformation such as your first post.

Quote:
when it was released on the the 26th, I would probably give it some time before you rush to it...or until you had problems with the device itself...Ever heard of "If it aint broke, don't fix it"..?
I understand your point here. If the user is satisfied with 4.7, then by all means stay there. However, 5.0 has lots of new features. People may want to upgrade simply to experience these new features. Their device doesn't need to be broken for them to upgrade in all instances.

Quote:
Same as with the enterprise server 5.0. Millions of people are still using 4.1.6, should they upgrade just cause 4.1.7 or 5.0 is out?? NO..not until they start having issues with their server.
Again, there's no requirement at this point to upgrade. In fact, 5.0 is not available for GroupWise. As I stated above, BES 5.0 has new features and to some, that's reason to upgrade.

Quote:
Ask a RIM tech, not a BBforums dude with too much time on his hands...
I am not sure if this is directed at me as I quoted you, or Penguin as he quoted you as well, or maybe any moderator or who, but I do not agree with this advice. First of all, if the user doesn't have a support contract with RIM, this is a very costly thing. Furthermore, there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum that can provide the same answer most of the time, doing so in less time and for FREE!

We volunteer our time here to help others, we're BlackBerry enthusiasts who enjoy helping others. If you don't like that, then no one is forcing you to be here, you're more than welcome to take your negative attitude and misinformation elsewhere
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 11-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #24
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Ask a RIM tech, not a BBforums dude with too much time on his hands...
Heh.

I'll put two dozen of our "BBforums dude[s]" up against 50 "RIM techs" any day of the work for solid advice, troubleshooting and most of all -- solutions.

And jsconyers would be at the top of that list.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Stunning how much incorrect information can be found in a single thread.
Some people should simply be seen and not heard.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
rouen1969
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 312D2644
Angry

I have learned more from the BBforums dudes than from any RIM, Verizon or AT&T tech!

I am appalled at the "size & brass!"

Last edited by rouen1969; 11-04-2009 at 03:21 PM..
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #27
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I'm betting the OP can get it to load using another pc. This sounds like a PC issue not a BB or corrupt version of the OS issue. You shouldn't need the latest DM and most times you don't have to wipe it clean before an upgrade. It should just install pretty easily.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #28
giggles_ssmc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: 315f8a2a
Carrier: vzw

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will try to download it on my desktop and see if that works if not oh well I'll stick with my 4.7.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #29
Quizote
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
PIN: NACLE
Carrier: MTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles_ssmc View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will try to download it on my desktop and see if that works if not oh well I'll stick with my 4.7.
Hi, this looks like a PC issue. I ran into a similar problem before when trying to update a Storm for a friend. I had previously updated mine with no issues but constantly had a fatal error when updating that for my friend. After sweating for a while and checking out the forums (and google), it turned out the USB cable was not sitting properly when connected to the phone. I thus changed the cable and voila, the update went smoothly. hope this helps.
Closed Thread