Old 12-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Can't Sync due to "Cannot log on to Exchange Server..." Issue

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings everyone.

Everything has been working perfectly until last night, when I attempted to sync my Bold 9780 and received the following message:

"Cannot log on to Exchange Server. Please check server access or provide a valid password"

I have never had a BB Enterprise account set up. My BB has always been "personal." It's certain baffling that this occurred.

I've changed absolutely nothing, though I will say that Windows 7 Professional performed a major update when I logged off prior to this problem arising.

I've searched the forum and found some recommendations, but I'm still baffled, and even more so, I'm fearful of trying some things and losing data! So, I have some questions....

- Is this problem within my PC or within the BB?

- If I were to use BB Desktop Manager to restore my BB to an earlier backup point, might this solve the problem?

- If, instead of restoring the entire BB to an earlier point, might I be able to just select certain items that might be affected by this or have caused this?

Note that I tired one solution I found, wherein the poster suggested that I open BB Desktop Manager, select "Organizer," select "Reset Settings," and then choose to "Configure Settings" and set up things as I had them before. However, when I tried this, I am now no longer able to configure sync setting at all! When I attempt to do so, I get an error message "Options value is unacceptable. Please check options properties." I should note that in the drop-down box in that window, nothing is shown (there is no "Outlook User Profile" shown).

I'm baffled, but even more so, afraid to make things worse!

Can anyone advise me?

Also...if I were to un-install BB Desktop Manager and re-install with latest version, and then do a setup, might this help?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 12-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Can't Sync due to "Cannot log on to Exchange Server..." Issue

Reset the options

KB03179-Change the BlackBerry Desktop Manager email integration from BlackBerry Enterprise Server to BlackBerry Internet Service 0 1883646372
Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Smile Thank You...and More Info....

Thanks for your help! However, before I attempted your solution and other suggestions, I encountered some events that had it sort of "fix itself!"

Just prior to this mess, my computer automatically downloaded and installed updates before the problem appeared. Then things started getting wacky, including things such as shortcuts to MS Word documents not working and freezing Word upon attempts to open them. I was searching around and also doing full system optimizations and virus scans with Norton 360, running full scans with Iolo System Mechanic, and then decided to check Windows Update, where I was alerted to a major update for Microsoft Office Suite, which as you know, includes Outlook. I downloaded and installed that, and then also downloaded and installed from Windows Update a update for computers running Windows 7 64bit. After two restarts, I had no fingerprint reader detected anymore, but at the 3rd restart, all seemed to be OK...AND....when I opened BB Desktop and tried a sync, OUTLOOK ONCE AGAIN APPEARED IN THE DROP-DOWN MENU BOX when asked to select organizer data to synchronize in the setup menu!

I was amazed...and thrilled. Apparently, my issues were much deeper than with Outlook, the BB, and the BBDS.

THANKS for your assistance. This forum has helped me on numerous occasions, and you all deserve a pat on the back for taking the time to help others.

Best wishes to all for a wonderful holiday season!

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Suburban Philadelphia (southern New Jersey) USA
dont let anyone from Pennsylvania see this tag!!!

Glad to hear your ok. Keep the link just in case something else changes.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks....but guess what? Problem has occurred again! UGH!

This is baffling.....

Here's something I've noticed this time around:

When BB Desktop Mgr is running and BB is connected, I then choose "Organizer" and then, within that selection, I choose "Configure Settings." After choosing a Device Application and then selecting "Setup," I then choose a direction of synchronization (in my case, "two way"), and after clicking on "next," I get to the panel that says "Microsoft Outlook options for {application}" Here's the baffling part: in the drop-down where you make your choice of the Outlook profile you wish to use....there IS NO PROFILE from which to choose! It has disappeared! When operating properly, the one and only profile I had appearing there as a choice was "Outlook."

I believe something is happening within the OS (registry or something) that is screwing up Outlook, including MSWord, because when I click on a document shortcut for Word, the program starts to open but then stops and says something like "Application does not match."

So....I just tried doing some Windows updates, and lo and behold, the things work again! BB will sync just fine as before, and "Outlook" appears as a profile option during Organizer setup!! I now click on a document shortcut, and MSWord opens the doc just fine! So the mystery becomes...why do the changes occcur...and how did they get back to where they were?

After careful reasoning, I believe my problems are not related to the BB or the BB Desktop Software program. Something is happening that "detaches (for lack of a better word) Outlook and/or other programs, alters the profiles, or......

Baffling! I still very much appreciate all the assistance rendered.

Oh...and yes, indeed....I am taking a bit of a risk if anyone from PA reads my tag!!! LOL!

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

I added some more info to the PM you sent.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
kaufmancrew

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

This problem has confounded me multiple times. Today I went into Control Panel and "repaired" Microsoft Outlook. It fixed the problem.

Something that caught my eye in an earlier post: a reference to Iolo System Mechanic. I use that as well. I'm wondering if that program, by any chance, is inadvertently deleting a registry key that is causing this problem. I only say that because it accidentally was deleting a registry entry that caused Quickbooks to think I was using an ancient version of Internet Explorer.

So, without any data beyond another System Mechanic user struggling with this problem, does anyone else use that utility and have this problem?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

I have used various programs to "clean" the registry and also have found a few things failing on programs. I think these programs all warn of possible mistakes and suggest a backup be made first. Hope you found your issue.
Closed Thread