Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Elgin

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default New IT Policy - Received but not applied

Please Login to Remove!

Heya fella's,

Great little board, i've been browsing through thread after thread of great information.

Anyway, I've been deploying a whole slew of BB's today and i noticed that four handhelds (including mine) which were activated before my policy was writen, still have the default policy applied to them.

I looked on the BES and I see that these four BB's are being assigned the NewPolicy. But when i added the column "IT Policy Status" they are stuck on "pending".

The only way i've been able to apply the NewPolicy was to wipe the handheld and re-activate. Is this by design or do i have a setup issue?

I read over the Pre-requisites thread and did notice something different about my setup. At the Firewall pre-requisite i noticed it said "Bi-directional" TCP/IP on port 3101. I am only allowing the BES out on this port, on recommendation by a RIM rep.

Thanks again for any help.

Cheers
Old 12-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Hello Elgin, welcome to the forum.

It might be helpful to know what version of BES you are using, and what environment (Exchange, etc).

To answer one question, when you make changes to an IT Policy, the changes should be sent to the existing devices that have that policy.

On the device, if you click on Options -> Security Option -> General Settings and scroll down, what is the name and date/time of the policy that shows?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Elgin

Running BES 4.1.4 with Exchange 2003.

Blackberry Info;

IT Policy: Default
Last Update: Nov 30, 2007
Time Stamp: Dec 13, 2007

On the four devices in question the BB's are showing "Default" as the IT Policy, Last updated Nov 30th... hmmm seems even my changes to the "Default" policy haven't been pushed down to the device either. I was trying to work around this by making changes to the "default" policy with no success.

What is the Time Stamp feild btw?

Last edited by Elgin; 12-19-2007 at 10:58 AM..
Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Elgin

Configured the firewall to be Bi-directional and did notice that another problem with Read messages was corrected.

Previously a read message on the Blackberry would still be unread in outlook. With the Bi-directional change this problem has been corrected.

As for the IT policy still no luck. The BES manager software still displays that the IT policy is set to "New Policy", and the IT Policy Status column shows "received" instead of "Applied successfully".

options>Security>General on the BB is still showing Default as the applied policy.

I'm not seeing any other glaring problems with my configuration. I'll be looking at the BRK tools next to see if i can get some more info.

Cheers
Old 12-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Have you tried restarting the Policy service? Did you check the Event Viewer for warnings/errors from the Policy service?

Try rebooting the BB as well. I've seen where a policy shows received but the handheld agent database does not update until a reboot of the device is performed, then it applies.

You shouldn't have to re-activate the HH's.

Also, what part of Canada are you in? I don't see the word slew used very often
Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Elgin

Good old Toronto is my stomping ground. Altho if you ask one of my buds from Alberta I come from "The center of the universe" hehe.

I thought everyone used "Slew"!

As for the Event Viewer, No errors, but i do have a few warnings that look suspicious.

Event ID: 20000 Source: BB Policy Service

After 4 hours the device has not acknowledged receipt of the SET_ITPOLICY_REQUEST command, requeuing...

Rebooting the BB seems to have no effect. I even took out the battery as this seems to fix some anomalies.

I'll restart the Policy service later this afternoon, I'm making a ghost of the server for peice of mind. Then I can muck around to my hearts content
Old 12-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
gibson_hg

Hahaha, I was Waterloo for 2 years and slew didn't work for people at my GF's work, she's also a newfie, that probably didn't help.

The "After 4 hours the device has not acknowledged receipt of the SET_ITPOLICY_REQUEST command, requeuing..." is normal to see when a HH has not sent the ACK Packet back acknowledging receival of the IT Policy. So, you have updated the default policy and created a new policy and the only way to successfully push a policy to EA the user again? That is strange, something wierd is going on. You don't really need to ghost the whole machine, just back up the DB, it contains everything, users/cals/srp/it policy/etc.

As long as you have a backup of the db the software is nothing to worry about. You could try a clean uninstall/re-install. Just search BlackBerry Technical Solution Center for clean uninstall. Follow the uninstall process but leave the DB as is, when you re-install it will have everything the way you left it.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Elgin

Wowsers... Updated to MR4 today to see if that would help with my issue's of late and i felt the noose tightening as E-mails stopped being pushed.

Good thing for the ghost I made, as problematic as it was getting it back up and runnin.

Seems I made a rookie mistake with the Update. Maybe someone can confirm my error. I logged in with a Domain Admin account and ran the MR4 update, this automatically included my login credentials as Domain Admin instead of the BESadmin account in the Update wizard. This edited the BES services Login Credentials and pooched the system.

I'll be able to confirm this when i get the courage to attempt the MR4 update again next week.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
gibson_hg

If you install a hotfix or service pack as anyone else other than the BESAdmin it will switch the services and MAPI profiles to whatever account you used and may also update registry entries for the wrong account.

You don't need to reload the image just look at this article:

BlackBerry Search Results

Follow Tasks 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12 to switch back to your BESAdmin account and you should be good to go. That's how I always fixed that issue with customers.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
Elgin

Thanks allot Gibs, I'll definately store away that article for the future. Altho I hope not to make the same mistake twice

MR4 was successful after the second attempt, but the Policy is displaying "Error" in the IT Policy Status field. Same Event Viewer warning about "ITPolicy Fail Ack.."

So i figure a clean re-install will be my next step as you've said before (Thanks for the KB btw). The current install is pretty much a fresh install as it is with only one month under its belt, so I'm still thinking that I've missed a setting somewhere. I'll re-install using the forums recommendations this time and see how that goes.

If all goes well I'll owe you a beer Gibs
Old 12-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
gibson_hg

Sounds like the handheld may not be accepting the policy. Once it shows Error status, the BB usually needs to be re-activated to successfully receive the policy. The POLC log should have some more detail, try the following:

1. Send a user a new policy or an updated policy that you haven't tried yet. **Note the time you sent it**

2. Monitor the status of the Policy. If it changes to Error or never changes from reveived then check the POLC log for the users PIN or email address for the time you sent the Policy and see what shows for that user from there on

If worse comes to worse you could contact RIM support for a log review. They will be able to determine whats going on.

You could try a re-install but if the handheld is receiving the Policy but not applying it then it sounds more like a handheld issue. I've seen it happen before but usually a hard reset fixes it. This is a strange issue.

How many users do you have on the BES? If the re-install doesn't work it may be a database issue. I had a user once with a new 4.1 BES and the Policy would always get rejected because the ITPolicyTable was corrupted during the install. A new DB would be a last resort option, I would recommend the following:

1. Backup the current DB

2. Create a new DB (BESmgmt2 or BESTest) usign the Switch Database Wizard in the BlackBerry Server Configuration

3. Using the newly created DB, add some users and test sending a new policy and an updated policy

If that doesn't fix it then use the Switch DB Wizard again to go back your original DB. That would only leave the handheld's as you've tested everything on the BES side.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Elgin

Actually I have some good news.

It would seem that MR4 did actually do something. I have been testing on my own Handheld to verify whether the policy had taken effect, with only the "Error" message, since the MR4 update.

I decided to test one of the users Handhelds, who was previously wiped and re-activated with my "New Policy", and it changes policy without error. (This wasn't the case pre-MR4)

So I'm going to wipe and re-activate the 3 offending Handhelds. With the majority of the Userbase able to receive updated/new Policies i'm happy with the BES's functionality now.

I'll probably leave my own Handheld in an error'd state just to see if i can fix this error. If i do figure it out i'll be sure to post about it here.

Special thanks to the Gibson_SG Looks like i do owe you a beer.

Cheers
Closed Thread