BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #241
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!
Default Pushing to a patched BB?

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry if it has already been mentioned but my brain is now officially out to lunch on this stuff:

Does anyone know exactly what happens on the BB if the BB has had the patch applied already but then the BES push hits it? I could do with documenting this before I get a chance to test it myself.

cheers
Stu
Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #242
mjamm

Model: i7100
Carrier: Nextel and Verizon

I am trying to push the DST out from our BES (Groupwise). I can see the DST2007 configured in the 'Software Configurations', but the push is not going to the users devices. I am testing with two devices and they both say "Configuration Status: Check Required" under 'Handhelds'.

When setting the Software Configuration, I selected Wireless, but I see a selection for 'Policy' and mine says none. Do I need to set a policy for this to work?

Also our Blackberry Manager is v4.0.5.10.

Last edited by mjamm; 02-23-2007 at 12:05 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #243
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjamm
I am trying to push the DST out from our BES (Groupwise). I can see the DST2007 configured in the 'Software Configurations', but the push is not going to the users devices. I am testing with two devices and they both say "Configuration Status: Check Required" under 'Handhelds'.

When setting the Software Configuration, I selected Wireless, but I see a selection for 'Policy' and mine says none. Do I need to set a policy for this to work?
I don't believe so. As long as you have created the config and have done the loader /index first as per RIM, you should be set. But be aware that RIM recommend that you create a policy to go with this, to stop users uninstalling the Patch.

I can't find the doc right now but when you go to their DST site and click through for Exch admin, there is a doc regarding how to create the config for patch push.

HTH
Stu
Old 02-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #244
acf
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

Someone please confirm this. The TimeZoneOtaPatcher app that is pushed is NOT the patch itself but the application that "processes" the download/install of the patch, correct?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #245
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by acf
Someone please confirm this. The TimeZoneOtaPatcher app that is pushed is NOT the patch itself but the application that "processes" the download/install of the patch, correct?
Correct. According to the conversation I had with RIM yesterday.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #246
acf

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
Correct. According to the conversation I had with RIM yesterday.
Thanks. Threw me off a bit as it has the same name as the patch files.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #247
SoUnCool
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwhite
Just when we thought we knew what was going on, MS, send this....

We very recently discovered that if you apply the Exchange DST 2007 CDO patch prior to running the Outlook Time Zone Update Tool or the Exchange Time Zone Update Tool, recurring meetings created in Outlook Web Access (OWA) will not be updated properly.

The updated recommended steps are to apply the OS patch to client and server machines, run the Exchange and/or Outlook Time Zone Update Tool(s), then apply the CDO patch to Exchange.

So you now have to CDO patch your Exch boxes after the calendar re-base, which of course means your BES is now even laster :->

Deep joy
Stu
the plot thickens
can you pls post link for this information
Old 02-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #248
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

juwaack68:

Just delete the entire folder under packagecache. It will rebuild at the next interval. I didn't need to stop the policy service. Make sure the source of your packagecache includes the latest device.xml in the apploader directory, this is loaded into the packagecache entry tree and is used by the BB Mgr when checking the status of apps.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #249
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoward
juwaack68:
Just delete the entire folder under packagecache. It will rebuild at the next interval. I didn't need to stop the policy service. Make sure the source of your packagecache includes the latest device.xml in the apploader directory, this is loaded into the packagecache entry tree and is used by the BB Mgr when checking the status of apps.
I am getting closer! Drinks all around!

After doing the 1st set of steps in KB04763 (the stop/delete/start steps) I went back into the BES (2.5 hours later) and did an 'Update Configuration Check Status' on one of the users.

POOF! The System Status is now 'Up to date' and Application Status is varying. Some show 'Install Required', some show 'Downgrade Required'.

There is a table somewhere that tells what these status' all mean.....now to find that.

I also heard from RIM that in order to patch the 8703 (we have a bunch from Sprint) that the actual device software has to be installed on the BES. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, what is the date of the latest device.xml? The one that was there was pretty old, but the one that's there now is dated 7/4/2006.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #250
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: 241EBD8C
Carrier: A&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoUnCool
the plot thickens
Looks like they update their preparing for DST order of events chart:

Preparing for Daylight Saving Time changes in 2007

You've still got the original chart, but there's another chart below it that you should follow if:

If you have an environment where:

* users rely heavily on Outlook Web Access and
* create large numbers of recurring calendar items in OWA.

And the 2nd chart has you applying the DST patch after you run the Exchange/Outlook update tools.

For us we have a small 20 device environment so I think I'm just going to email the download link to all my Blackberry users and then use the Boxtone tool to follow the patch's install process. The download went fine and my device took about 16 minutes before it came back.... strange though in options it shows as applied, yet the Boxtone utility says still awaiting patch... I think I'll side with the handheld on this one.

Last edited by DarienA; 02-23-2007 at 04:00 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #251
pej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
I also heard from RIM that in order to patch the 8703 (we have a bunch from Sprint) that the actual device software has to be installed on the BES. Can anyone confirm that?
Also, what is the date of the latest device.xml? The one that was there was pretty old, but the one that's there now is dated 7/4/2006.
After installing the latest 8100 (Cingular and Tmobile), 8700 (Cingular and Tmobile) and 8707 (VodafoneUK) handheld software on our BES, this is what we have. It was probably overkill installing ALL of these, but what the heck.

Quote:
device.xml - <devicesrc version="1.0.0.35"> - file update date 8/29/2006 4:04 PM
vendor.xml - <vendorsrc version="1.0.0.375"> - file update date 12/21/2006 4:48 PM
Old 02-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #252
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok now I'm a bit concerned... on my handheld when I go in to options for DST 2007 Patch it says Patch Applied successfully, however I just ran DSTQuery against my Bes and it reports the same as Boxtone(which is probably how the boxtone app is getting its info), Awaiting Patch.

Any ideas?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #253
acf

Believe the handheld...
Old 02-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #254
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Has there been any indication that when the older handheld patches are released today(supposedly) that they will also be able to be updated simply by navigating the handheld to the blackberry DST website and downloading the patch from there?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #255
kahill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7200
Carrier: T-mobile
Default User_not_started

Has anyone seen this error in the event viewer after the patch was pushed out? If so what does it mean? Could it be the reason users can't send/receive messages? Yes we do have the server patched for the send as permissions issue.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #256
SoUnCool
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Test result for DST updates

Test result for DST updates
this is what i did

-w2k3 server dst patch on exchange and bes
-winxp client os dst patch
-CDO patch on exchange and bes
-hotfix from MS on exchange (to take care of send as permission problem for "REGULAR DOMAIN USERS)
-device patch

SETSENDASPERMISSIONTOOL DID NOT WORK AT ALL even if it works i am not sure its going to solve domain admin accounts problem
everything works fine, except domain admins cannot send messages using BB devices
here is MS work around for that

The "Send As" right is removed from a user object after you configure the "Send As" right in the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in in Exchange Server

and for MS and RIM and us energy agency 3429420#$%#%@#%!@%$@$!@#$@$@!$@$#@$!@$@!#$@!%#@$%$ ^#$%^

Last edited by SoUnCool; 02-23-2007 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Test result for DST updates
Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #257
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoUnCool
the plot thickens
I think DarienA has already posted the new site but basically we got this from our MS TAM (we are a Premier customer) and hear stuff before it gets posted. Just confuses the issue though, coz we don't know who to trust :-> We had our TAM on the phone and he said that what we get from him is gospel and the latest, so I will post anything else we get as soon as we get it. As DarienA says though, this is only relevant if you think you will have more users working with mtgs from OWA than from their BB.

cheers
Stu
Old 02-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #258
ts937km
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

A Tsupport person told me that there is a new version of dst2007query.exe coming out but didn't know when. To resolve the issues of the mis-reporting of patch status.

FYI: I started the process of patching my 940 handhelds last night. So far 254 have gotten the full patch 500+ have the helper installed and 100+ haven't gotten anything. According to the tool.

We are going to spam our users with email asking them to check and to call our help desk if it is not there or they can't tell.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:57 AM   #259
vetroxdv

Model: 7290

Has anyone had any luck, or should I say better luck, with the BoxTone DSTQuery equivalent tool.
We are thinking about downloading it but our guess is that the BoxTone tool will provide us with the same garbage from SQL in terms of Awaiting Patch Status that seems to really be patch applied, on the device anyway.

Thanks
Dom
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #260
Kevin Swann

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry device.xml update

I had the same problem and was pointed to a RIM knowledgebase article. This is a know issue with the Verizon 8703e devices. There is a new device.xml file that you can download from RIMs website. Once I copied the new device.xml file to the apploader directory and ran loader.exe /reindex I was able to push apps to the 8703e. I believe this update needs to be installed to get software pushes on the pearl also.
Closed Thread