BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
MadDog_
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Hang on. I'm looking for it!
Carrier: AT&T
Default Amazon.com unable to ship ANY cell phones?

Please Login to Remove!

AAAGGGHHHHH!!!

My experience with Amazon.com over the last 3 days has been unbelievably exasperating! I ask a simple question:

"When is my phone going to ship?"

I thought this was a simple question, but apparently I was wrong. After getting a 3 day run around with no one able to answer this simple question, today's story is that it's in stock but they can't ship my 8310 because they (Amazon) have a computer problem with their order fulfillment system, and they can't give me a ship date for my phone. Further, they say that this has stopped them from shipping ANY cell phones. Umm ... you can't ship merchandise if you're having programming issues? What did you do before computers?

I'm at my wit's end. The way they have their "system" set up, there's no one person that can tell when a simple product is going to ship. I've been bounced around from the Phillipines (yep) to different call centers in the U.S.

Has anyone else had this experience or know anything about it? This seems like total incompetence.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_ View Post
What did you do before computers?
Umm... nothing.
Amazon.com started as an online retailer in 1994. Computers were popular long before Amazon.com.

That said, I hope you get your 8310 soon. Shipping delays suck, but it happens to everyone at some point.

Last edited by penguin3107; 10-18-2007 at 10:24 PM..
Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That's why I but all my phones in store! Maybe I don't save as much money but I don't deal with the frustrations you are right now!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
robothero
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

my amazon order isn't scheduled to ship until Nov 4th, so I'm not really in panic mode yet. Even though that is a week or so away.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robothero View Post
my amazon order isn't scheduled to ship until Nov 4th, so I'm not really in panic mode yet. Even though that is a week or so away.
November 4th is a week away from October 18th?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
robothero

I said "or so" :P

I was never good at counting.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S

Can you cancel the Amazon order and buy one in the store since they are out now?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robothero View Post
I was never good at counting.
ha, at least you know I was ribbing you.

be sure to double check your credit card.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #9
MadDog_

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
Can you cancel the Amazon order and buy one in the store since they are out now?
Absolutely.

HOWEVER, with Amazon, my net out of pocket is $24.99. At the store, it's $224. I keep telling myself that it's worth it.

After all, I should be able to buy a LOT of Valium for the $200 savings, although in all seriousness, at some point, you do have to ask yourself if the aggravation is worth it. At this point, it's yes, but we'll see what the first part of next week brings
Old 10-19-2007, 04:11 AM   #10
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S

Quote:
Absolutely.

HOWEVER, with Amazon, my net out of pocket is $24.99. At the store, it's $224. I keep telling myself that it's worth it.

After all, I should be able to buy a LOT of Valium for the $200 savings, although in all seriousness, at some point, you do have to ask yourself if the aggravation is worth it. At this point, it's yes, but we'll see what the first part of next week brings
Yeah, I'd say $200 is worth the wait (if you have a working phone for the time being.). Just think -- in the next couple of weeks you will be enjoying your new Curve and won't even remember the wait -- AND you'll have $200 to spend on other goodies!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
MadDog_

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
Yeah, I'd say $200 is worth the wait (if you have a working phone for the time being.). Just think -- in the next couple of weeks you will be enjoying your new Curve and won't even remember the wait -- AND you'll have $200 to spend on other goodies!
Umm ... yeah. But if it's going to be another couple of weeks, the cost of drugs and therapy may go beyond this.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #12
robothero

you can do it man, i have faith!

whenever you think of going down to the store and impulse buying, just remember all the money you'll be saving by waiting!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Cancel the order and buy it from ushopwireless.com. Mine shipped in 1 day and the best thing is that I had the option of going with a 1 year contract for $50 more instead of 2. I don't know what their current stock is, but I was pleased with the transaction 2 weeks ago.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
robothero

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdigital View Post
Cancel the order and buy it from ushopwireless.com. Mine shipped in 1 day and the best thing is that I had the option of going with a 1 year contract for $50 more instead of 2. I don't know what their current stock is, but I was pleased with the transaction 2 weeks ago.

looks like ushop is tmobile only
Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
MadDog_

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, but not doable for me.

The primary reason is coverage. I'm in Northern California. T-Mobile is not an option. Coverage is VERY spotty. AT&T can is sketchy enough in many areas I travel in, but is far and away the best, at least for now.

So, if I could get the same $ deal as Amazon with AT&T, I'd do this in a second.

I tried Letstalk also. Spoke to their customer service people, and got frustrated with them telling me that the crimson cost $125 more than the Titanium "because of the color." Maybe that's dumb, but that didn't inspire a whole bunch of confidence.

My experience with Amazon up until now has pretty much been books (200 or so transactions) and they've batted 100%. Maybe that's because lead time was never an issue for me.

However, after 4 days of not being able to get an answer to "When is my phone going to ship?" when they have it in stock and can't ship because of some computer glitch in their system is mind-blowing.

Knowing that, here's the latest answer I got from them:

---------------------------------------------

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any kind of inconvenience caused to you.

Upon researching your order, I see the this item "BlackBerry 8310 Curve Red Smartphone" is listed as in stock on our website. I apologize for any misunderstanding regarding this item, and I sympathize with your frustration in this matter.

It appears that the current availability estimate listed on our web site may not yet reflect the most recent information provided to us by our suppliers.

I am afraid to say that, the phone from the order "BlackBerry 8310 Curve Red Smartphone" is currently not available from Amazon.com.

So, we have back ordered this item from our suppliers, however, we find that our Suppliers work very hard to maintain their inventories for this Phone.

I don't blame you for being upset, and I do apologize profusely for all of the mistakes and delays which contributed to this very unfortunate series of encounters.

To ensure your utmost faith, I have contacted our Supplier and assured us that, they would send the item to us within Nov 03 - Nov 12, 2007 and once we receive the item from our suppliers, we ship the item as soon as possible.

Rest assured, your order will be delivered to you by the date listed on the order detail page within Nov 07 - Nov 14, 2007.

Please note that we value your time and money you have invested in purchasing this item. I request you to understand that we're doing our best to be in touch with this supplier to acquire this phone as soon as possible and deliver the order before the date listed on our website.

I do understand that you wish to have the item to be shipped and delivered on time and rather than mere excuses in this e-mail, but I request you to understand our position in this regard, as we have to rely on our suppliers.

I understand that you are upset, and I regret that we have not been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer any additional insight or action on these matters.

Under the circumstances, I would understand if you'd prefer to cancel your order. You may cancel unshipped items through the "Your Account" page, accessible at the top of any page on our web site. To cancel your order, simply click "Cancel items or orders." After signing in with your e-mail address and password, you will be able to view your order history and cancel your order for any item that has not yet entered the shipping process.

Hope you would consider this as an isolated incident and give us another chance to prove our efficiency.

Thank you for your immense patience in this matter, and for shopping at Amazon.com.

-----------------------------

How lame is that? Getting stupid emails like this only aggravate me further.

The customer service runaround I've gotten is unlike anything I've ever seen. If I weren't in such a hurry for the phone, it wouldn't be an issue, but given that, their customer service is horrible, and is designed to get you running around like a rat in a maze until you give up.

I even tried calling their corporate and got put into what was supposed to be Jeff Bezos' voicemail, but of course, nothing came out of that either.

Last edited by MadDog_; 10-19-2007 at 10:27 AM..
Old 10-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #16
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Sorry for the assumption on the carrier... There was a big discussion re: Amazon and the 8320 a couple of weeks ago so I jumped to conclusions and didn't read the OP carefully enough.

Anyway, I'm in NorCal as well and went with tmo knowing that I could use wifi on this thing to make up for coverage gaps... (Since I threatened legal action against ATT years ago (pre-GSM days) for breach of contract with respect to non-performance, they weren't really an option for me. )

Anyway, I hope it works out for you... Have you tried to negotiate in person at one of their retail stores? My experience is that they have more power on pricing than most think. At a minimum, they might include good accessories to sweeten the pot a bit. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #17
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Darby
Carrier: FBSD

Quote:
AAAGGGHHHHH!!!

My experience with Amazon.com over the last 3 days has been unbelievably exasperating! I ask a simple question:

"When is my phone going to ship?"

I thought this was a simple question, but apparently I was wrong. After getting a 3 day run around with no one able to answer this simple question, today's story is that it's in stock but they can't ship my 8310 because they (Amazon) have a computer problem with their order fulfillment system, and they can't give me a ship date for my phone. Further, they say that this has stopped them from shipping ANY cell phones. Umm ... you can't ship merchandise if you're having programming issues? What did you do before computers?

I'm at my wit's end. The way they have their "system" set up, there's no one person that can tell when a simple product is going to ship. I've been bounced around from the Phillipines (yep) to different call centers in the U.S.

Has anyone else had this experience or know anything about it? This seems like total incompetence.
I ordered an E61i from them yesterday. It's out on truck for delivery this morning.
Quote:

Thanks. Some sweet deals there
Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #18
MadDog_

Quote:
Have you tried to negotiate in person at one of their retail stores? My experience is that they have more power on pricing than most think.
Hmm ... this may be worth a shot. They "owe" me for an issue I had a couple of years back. I'm sure they don't care, but "nothing ventured, nothing gained." I need to run a few errands anyway by my local store, so I'll swing by and give it a shot.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #19
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Darby
Carrier: FBSD

Quote:
Hmm ... this may be worth a shot. They "owe" me for an issue I had a couple of years back. I'm sure they don't care, but "nothing ventured, nothing gained." I need to run a few errands anyway by my local store, so I'll swing by and give it a shot.

Thanks.
I tried. Stores around here won't budge an inch. Maybe if you're a hottie sex pot type???
Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #20
ajm

Model: 8320

My latest experience with Amazon was excellent. I ordered two 8320 Titanium Curves on Sept 26th and received them on Oct 9th. That's less than two weeks to my door even though their web site said "Usually ships in 2 - 4 weeks." (and ground shipping would have taken another week or so)
Closed Thread