huchyy

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mobinil

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Not on 3G, no.

According to what you plan to do, you might need these instructions.
Im quite confused now as i've read countless reviews saying that the 9550 works on 3G for Verizon (EV-DO 800 / 1900) and UMTS 900 / 2100 (europe) but not for At&t UMTS 850 / 1900
so what seems to be the problem for europe?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #402
adamrasz

Model: 9530
Carrier: AT&T
Smile Verizon Storm to AT&T Storm - How I did it using JSANDERS method

Verizon Storm to AT&T Storm - How I did it using JSANDERS method, plus a few tips from others. This may help people having questions that I have been reading in this thread.

Okay, so like many people, I bought the Blackberry Storm off EBay, and it arrived 2 weeks ago. It came with a used Verizon SIM card inside so I know it was on Verizon, but had been unlocked according to the EBay sales description.
  1. I unpacked all the contents, cables, and the actual phone.
  2. I removed the old Verizon SIM card, and inserted my old AT&T SIM from my Blackberry Pearl 8100.
  3. The Storm came with a 8GB memory SDCARD so I just left it in there. (When I finally plugged in the Storm to my PC the SDCARD opened as a separate drive in mass storage mode, and I went and just deleted all the songs, files, etc, in the folders on the SDCARD, but left the folders there)
  4. I turned on the Storm and knew I was in for a process. Haha.
  5. Okay, first off I had the blackberry desktop installed on my PC, if you don't, go to blackberry.com and download it.
  6. Next, I went to Verizon's website, and downloaded the latest device software, version 5.0.0.328 and saved it to my PC. (Verizon wanted a phone number on the verizon network to download this, and I just used their sample phone number on the website, I think it was 123-456-7890 or something, lol.)
  7. Actually here, I need to remind users if they don't have a blackberry internet plan, to go to ATT.com or call ATT and have that added to your account. Must have it!
  8. Okay, back to my epic saga, lol. I followed the link in step 9 from JSANDERS at the start of this thread, and downloaded the AT&T service books to my PC, and followed steps 2-6. (NOTE: for some reason, when I went throught the add-remove programs wizard, it didn't remove the file the first time. I had to reboot the Storm, and replug it in to the PC, then follow steps 2-6 exactly a SECOND TIME FOR IT TO WORK CORRECTLY!!!! You will see the name of the file being removed - you can't miss it!!!! Then you know the process worked. )
  9. Okay, step 7 go to the website: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular and create a new account, or login. Okay, here is where I got stuck, where is the send service books button?? It is under HELP. Click on help, lol, and there is the send service books button. BOOM!!! Then I got my first email saying the Storm was registered with the wireless network and then a second email after I added my GMAIL account on the website saying it was setup correctly, and I should get new mail in 20 mins.
  10. All right!!! So far so good!!! Now, I followe steps 8-10 from JSANDERS, and got full EDGE with full bars and I was ecstatic lol.
  11. I went through my phone and changed some various things like my time was wrong for some reason, so I went to options>date/time>and set my time zone and selected auto-update time zone, and use network time. I think in like 5-10 mins the network time finally caught up, had me worried for a second though, haha.
  12. Next, I went to options>language and text input>input style selected word completion AND show text input options (to give you the choice between different keyboard styles).
  13. Next, options>memory, make sure media card support is on, and mass storage support is on and auto enable mass storage mode when connected is set to yes.
  14. Next, options>mobile network, make sure network says AT&T!!!!, network technology is GSM/UMTS, and I set mine to 2G since Storm only gets EDGE not 3G.
  15. Next, options>owner, I entered my own name here!
  16. Next, options>phone options>voicemail, I changed my access number to my phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx. Left password blank. Works fine!!
  17. Next, options>screen-keyboard, changed font size to 10, backlight brightness to 60 (saves battery big time), backlight timeout 20 secs (also saves battery), auto dim backlight to OFF, LED coverage to OFF (also saves battery), key rate to FAST, Right convenience key to Quick Launch (3rd party app - more about that in a minute!), Left side to nothing (for VLINGO, a 3rd party app, more about that in a minute too, lol ), menu style to full menu, tap interval to 100, hover period to 100, and swipe sensitivity to 0.
  18. There is always many things to customize on the Storm or any blackberry, but this should get anyone started!!!
  19. Now to fine tune my Storm, including apps and Theme. Read on!!
  20. First the theme. (I researched a bunch before I even got the Storm, while I was waiting for it to come in the mail.) I settled on the MINIMAL BOLD THEME. Works flawlessly (except for the white bars after reboot which can be fixed from homescreen by pressing blackberry button, blackberry button again, options, click layout, click one row, save, click two rows, click save) Lol, I know it sounds like a pain, but not too bad, and this them runs sooooo smooth, never any lag EVER!! THANKS RSMIFF!!!!!!
  21. Now the best part, the APPS!!!
  22. I was saying earlier about assigning the right convenience key to quicklaunch. Most people think Quick Launch is the #1 blackberry app. It lets you select anything on your blackberry from the one convenience key. I set up mine to have the camera first in my list, so 2 clicks on the right side convenience key goes right to camera. Then one more click takes the picture!!!! Love that!!!
  23. I will list my quicklaunch items in order quickly: Camera, video recorder, contact - new, lock device, memory cleaner, bluetooth toggle, media videos, media pictures, pandora, sound profiles, and wikipedia search. Just my personal preferences. Also set the right convenience key inside quicklaunch program to select items and left to close quicklaunch.
  24. Okay, quick note, there is a cool app that backs up your 3rd party apps, and does some other things more technical I don't know about from RIMGEEKS called the Blackberry Swiss Army Knife or BBSAK for short. GET IT!! If you brick your BB, you can restore your apps at least.
  25. One more quick note while I am thinking of it. If you use AIM chat, or YAHOO chat, they were not working for me. Not connecting anyway. So I followed someone's advice, and deleted both apps under options>applications>at the top where it says third party switch to ADD-ON. Lol, took me a while to find this part of the applications menu. Then go to mobile.blackberry.com and under instant messaging re-installed both AIM and YAHOO chat OTA (over the air (from the phone itself)) and now they work like a champ!!!
  26. Okay, to wrap up this long winded saga, here is a list of my other apps: VLINGO, BEBUZZ FREE, WHERE, WEATHERBUG, PANDORA, GOOGLE MAPS, TIME MOBILE, GMAIL, METERBERRY
  • VLingo works awesome! I set it to my left convenience key, and you can click it and search using Voice recognition, write a memo to yourself, and some other cool features. Crackberry app store has this one.
  • Bebuzz free lets you get blinking LED when you missed calls, emails, etc. Cool app. Blackberry app world has this one.
  • Where lets you search for movie showtimes, cheap gas, etc by GPS. Blackberry app world has this one.
  • Weatherbug is a must for me, shows weather and picture of sun, snow, etc right on the screen without clicking. Blackberry app world has this one.
  • VIIGO lets you read RSS feeds from news, sports, or whatever. Good easy to use screen. Blackberry app store has this one.
  • Time mobile is awesome, set it to text view. Just like reading the magazine!! Crackberry app store has this one.
  • Pandora radio is my all time favorite. It figures out what songs you like and its free, plays songs that I love always. Soooo smart!!! Blackberry app store has this one.
  • Google Maps and GMAIL are handy. Google maps actually works like GPS unit, showing your location moving and everything. GMAIL is okay, I push everything to my main messages window, but keep the GMAIL app to access my subfolders created at GMAIL if needed occasionally. I think you can get these from m.google.com/apps/ from your phone browser.
  • Meterberry is everyones second favorite. It shows your battery level, allows you to reboot (battery pull simulation), and other things. Good app. Crackberry app store has this one.
Thanks for reading. Please post comments and other tips below for new Storm users, from Verizon to AT&T, to help them get setup.

Update: Browser configuration: Go to browser>options>browser configuration and put a check in Support JavaScript, Show images, and all others except Allow Javascript popups. Go down to Browser Identification. Now here is the important part. I switched it from Blackberry Browser to FireFox. Now I can use the Google mobile app WITH VOICE!!!

Download the Google mobile app with VOICE SEARCH at m.google.com/voice.

PS. TIP: may need to switch the Browser Identification to IE or Blackberry for different sites if the webpage is not loading right, like the words are cutting off or it's hard to read.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #403
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Adam, good stuff... thanks for the saga and for taking the time help others.

Let's keep the forward discussion on the unlock process/getting EDGE, etc., and browser/service books, discussion of the process and issues with it.

Your tips on other setup preferences, Quicklaunch, etc., are valuable in other threads and discussions for the Storm as well.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #404
adamrasz

[quote=JSanders;1519548]Adam, good stuff... thanks for the saga and for taking the time help others.

Let's keep the forward discussion on the unlock process/getting EDGE, etc., and browser/service books, discussion of the process and issues with it.
quote]

Thanks JSANDERS, couldn't have done it without you bro!

PS. That is soooo weird you mention EDGE, because I have not had EDGE caps for 2 days now, jut edge lowercase, so I called AT&T and we went over everything, and even removed my account from the Blackberry Internet Server, then readded me. Finally, the tech realized that it was my SIM card needed to be replaced. Hmmmm, I wonder if this might help other users unable to get/sustain EDGE caps.......
Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #405
darkmanCANADA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
PIN: ask me
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I am reluctant to do this on an unlocked Telus 9550 to use on the Rogers network. Anyone try this on a Telus 9550?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #406
qthaiduongvnn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: Carrier

Where do i find the BB OS to install to my PC. This is the first step listed in the instructions for getting the internet working on my BB storm
Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #407
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Stickied at the top of this forum.

Edit***

If you read the original post you would have seen this:

Quote:

a) Install your current OS on your BlackBerry device to your PC.
If you are using a beta OS, it must be installed on the PC. Find the most current OS release for your model in this same 9500/9530 model section, in the Sticky Notes at the top.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 12-04-2009 at 10:22 AM..
Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #408
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Link to the Sticky Notes latest OS added in the instructions now
Old 12-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #409
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
After you have the device unlocked, follow the directions in this post EXACTLY as written, and it will work. I know. I have followed this procedure many dozen times.

Before you start:

a) Install your current OS on your BlackBerry device to your PC.
If you are using a beta OS, it must be installed on the PC. Find the most current OS release for your model in this same 9500/9530 model section, in the Sticky Notes at the top.

b) You must also have Desktop Manager installed on your PC.
Desktop Manager download here

On AT&T, follow these directions:
1. Download the ATT service books here. Unzip the file on your PC and remember where you placed the file on your PC.

2. On the PC, go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\**your OS version**\Java.
Create a new folder and name is ATT. Find the .cod named net_rim_bb_browser_daemon and move the cod to your new folder.

3. Plug in device and open DM > AppLoader > Add/Remove Programs and work your way through the process to remove the net_rim_bb_browser_dameon module. You won't notice any changes until after you see the Application loader screen, don't click any check boxes, just click Next, and then Finish. ONLY after clicking Finish will you see a quick notice that the browser_daemon module is being removed.
Close DM on completion. Allow your Storm to reboot.

4. Open DM again. Go to Backup/Restore > Advanced. On the right is the Storm's data and service books. On the left select File > Open > Select the service book file you downloaded. Click once to highlight it, and then click the bottom arrow (to move it from the left box to the right).
Go back to main menu of DM.

5. Go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\Loader\OS version\Java then to the folder you created named ATT. Right click the module > Cut.
Go back to main Java folder and paste it back.

6. Plug in device and open DM > AppLoader > Add/Remove > and proceed your way through. You will see net_rim_bb_browser_daemon.cod file being replaced.

7. Now go to AT&T BIS Page log in and resend your service books.
https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

8. On your Storm go to Option > Advanced Options > TCP/APN should say
APN: wap.cingular
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1

9. You may need to reboot the BB one more time.

IF, after about 15 minutes, you don't get full caps EDGE which sticks to EDGE, do this:
On your BlackBerry
10. Go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Network Mode > change 3G & 2G to be 2G only and escape out.

11 Then go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network > and UNcheck your service, wait for it to show OFF in the signal indicator area at the top of your screen.

12. Now, return to the same Manage Connections > Mobile Network > and CHECK your Mobile Network to be back enabled. You may have to do this 3-5 times, each time being patient for the OFF signal indicator. Then give the device five minutes to gain EDGE. If it doesn't rinse and repeat #2 and 3 here.

You should be ok from there once it reaches EDGE again.

On T-Mobile, follow these directions:

1. Download the TMobile service books here. Unzip the file on your PC and remember where you placed the file on your PC.

2. On the PC, go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\OS version\Java.
Create a new folder and name it TMO. Find the .cod named net_rim_bb_browser_daemon and move the cod to your new folder.

3. Plug in device and open DM > AppLoader > Add/Remove Programs and work your way through the process to remove the net_rim_bb_browser_daemon module. You won't notice any changes until after you see the Application loader screen, don't click any check boxes, just click Next, and then Finish. ONLY after clicking Finish will you see a quick notice that the browser_daemon module is being removed.
Close DM on completion. Allow your Storm to reboot.

4. Open DM again. Go to Backup/Restore > Advanced. On the right is the Storm's data and service books. On the left select File > Open > Select the service book file you downloaded. Click once to highlight it, and then click the bottom arrow (to move it from the left box to the right).
Go back to main menu of DM.

5. Go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\Loader\OS version\Java then to the folder you created named TMO. Right click the module > Cut.
Go back to main Java folder and paste it back.

6. Plug in device and open DM > AppLoader > Add/Remove > and proceed your way through. You will see net_rim_bb_browser_dameon.cod file being replaced.

7. Now go to T=Mobile BIS Page log in and resend your service books.
https://my.t-mobile.com/Login/Default.aspx

8. On your Storm go to Option > Advanced Options > TCP/APN should say
APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username: [leave blank]
Password: [leave blank]

OR, you may try these new Tmobile TCP settings:
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Username: [leave blank]
Password: [leave blank]

9. You may need to reboot the BB one more time.

IF, after about 15 minutes, you don't get full caps EDGE which sticks to EDGE, do this:
On your BlackBerry
10. Go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Network Mode > change 3G & 2G to be 2G only and escape out.

11 Then go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network > and UNcheck your service, wait for it to show OFF in the signal indicator area at the top of your screen.

12. Now, return to the same Manage Connections > Mobile Network > and CHECK your Mobile Network to be back enabled. You may have to do this 3-5 times, each time being patient for the OFF signal indicator. Then give the device five minutes to gain EDGE. If it doesn't rinse and repeat #2 and 3 here.

You should be ok from there once it reaches EDGE again.

Can this all be done with a program called Crack Util?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #410
fkjr2

Quote:
1. Can't? Why not... it is a simple cut and paste from one folder to other.

2. Are you logging in from the PC?
yes
Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #411
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I don't know.

It's easier for me to just by following the instructions outlined here.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #412
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

So who is your Service Provider, you have 9550 for the model, and V as the carrier.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #413
fkjr2

[QUOTE=adamrasz;1519568]
Quote:
Adam, good stuff... thanks for the saga and for taking the time help others.

quote]

Thanks JSANDERS, couldn't have done it without you bro!

PS. That is soooo weird you mention EDGE, because I have not had EDGE caps for 2 days now, jut edge lowercase, so I called AT&T and we went over everything, and even removed my account from the Blackberry Internet Server, then readded me. Finally, the tech realized that it was my SIM card needed to be replaced. Hmmmm, I wonder if this might help other users unable to get/sustain EDGE caps.......
adam - how do you find the edge speed with os 5.0? I am reluctant to try this unlocked 9550 since I have full 3g with my Bold 9000. Is it plenty fast with only edge? (i.e. email attachments, browser, etc)
Old 12-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #414
fkjr2

Quote:
I don't know.

It's easier for me to just by following the instructions outlined here.
ok thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #415
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
adam - how do you find the edge speed with os 5.0? I am reluctant to try this unlocked 9550 since I have full 3g with my Bold 9000. Is it plenty fast with only edge? (i.e. email attachments, browser, etc)
I can answer that... 'edge' is no data, which would be extremely slow

And EDGE is the speed regardless of device, except for the difference in the processor IN the device, can make a difference in accessing and composing a web page, etc, on the device.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #416
adamrasz

Thumbs up

Full Caps EDGE and 5 Bars on AT&T Storm! I started having a problem a couple days ago only getting the lowercase edge on my Storm, and so I wasn't able to get the internet. So I called AT&T, they took me off the network, and readded me, didn't help, so they sent me to get a new SIM card. Pain in the --- but OKay I'll give it a try.

Nope, got home still no EDGE. So I called them back today, and we looked at tower locations and coverage maps etc.., and checked the SIM card number. Still nothing.

So on a lark, before I had called AT&T back, I was playing around with the network connection type, and had changed the network connection to global, and forgot about it.

Now, this time, he took me off the AT&T network again, and readded me, and still nothing. However, maybe 15 mins later. My phone goes to full caps EDGE. 5 BARS! and has remained that way for couple hours now!!

So Steps I took:
  1. Got a new sim card, easy as going in and asking for one.
  2. Had to reinstall the service books (the instructions at the beginning of this post, lol)
  3. Changed network technology to global, under options>mobile network.
  4. Called AT&T had them take me off the network. I did a battery pull, and they readded- me.
  5. Wait 15 mins. and see what happens!!
Again, I am looking at my Storm as I'm writing this post and it is still 5 bars EDGE!!

Can anyone who is getting lowercase edge, and has a Storm on AT&T please try these steps, and see if it works for you too ??!!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #417
mrrick13

Carrier: at&t
Thumbs up

Registered here because of this post, and i'm posting because i would like to say thank you to the author. Worked perfectly on my unlocked Verizon storm9530. You must follow the steps Exactly in order for it to work! Thanks again so much,saved me a lot of grief and probably money too. Bravo!

-Rick
Old 12-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #418
zanzax720

Carrier: at&t
Default unlocked storm on at&t not working

I just got an unlocked blackberry storm 1 and switched over my phone plan to the blackberry data. i do not have the browser on it and cannot send the service books. I upgraded it to os 5.0 and as such the other solutions wont work. it works just fine on t mobile but once i pop in my at&t sim the browser wont appear. whats strange is that the maps app does appear and actually does connect. please if anybody can help get the browser working that'd be much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #419
big_daddy

Carrier: T-Mobile

Hey guys, quick question:

I'm on T-Mobile and want to upgrade to the Storm 2 (9550) from Verizon. I plan on getting the phone unlocked from eBay and follow the instructions from this post to connect it on T-Mo.

Would this instruction apply to the 9550 or only to the earlier version?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #420
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

big_daddy, yes, the initial post instructions apply to the 9530 and the 9550

And personally, I would not unlock it from "eBay", but use Horizon Wireless, see the link in my signature for a BBForums member discount.

Last edited by JSanders; 12-08-2009 at 12:03 AM..