Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
rybrns

Model: 0001
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default Database for Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I'm looking for an (inexpensive) simple database app for the 8830. I previously had a Palm and have files in csv or Excel that I need to put on the Blackberry.

There seem to be far fewer apps for the Blackberry than for the Palm, unless I'm not looking in the right places.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved to more appropriate section

What BB do you have? Per your profile, there is no Model 0001.

What sort of applications are you looking for? It is true that there are more for the Treo than the BB, given the Palm is more of a consumer product and the BB a business tool.

OS 4.5 and above has Documents to Go which can open/edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

Check the RIM website, BB App world and Handango.com for possible applications.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 06-18-2009 at 01:15 PM..
Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Try this:

Mobility solutions for the individual, team, business and enterprise - Skysoft Systems

or this

DDH Software - Home Page

for two different database solutions.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
rybrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
What BB do you have? Per your profile, there is no Model 0001.

What sort of applications are you looking for? It is true that there are more for the Treo than the BB, given the Palm is more of a consumer product and the BB a business tool.

OS 4.5 and above has Documents to Go which can open/edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
In my message I state the app is for the 8830 and that I'm looking for a simple DB program; DB programs are far more common in business/professional circles than consumer circles.

Docs to Go is no way even close to a DB app. I've used it; Excel is not suitable for DB use.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybrns View Post
In my message I state the app is for the 8830 and that I'm looking for a simple DB program; DB programs are far more common in business/professional circles than consumer circles.

Docs to Go is no way even close to a DB app. I've used it; Excel is not suitable for DB use.
I saw that you said 8830, but the profile said something else. Was just making sure that was the device you had. We see many posts with the wrong device listed. It helps us to have a correct profile.

Excel has some database functions and since you had csv files, I made that recommendation.

DB programs are all over the place, from flat file programs to track CDs to complex applications and everywhere in between.

No need to be rude. If you don't want to use the advice, you are not obligated to do so.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
rybrns

Didn't intend to be rude; sorry you viewed it that way. I've trolled the web and found many apps that seem to be flat file dbs but really weren't. My carrier support people suggested that I ask on the BB forum for recommendations.

I've looked at four apps so far, contacted their support, and learned that these were not in fact true dbs or didn't work on the Blackberry. So I'm looking for help from other users to tell me what is working for them.
Closed Thread