Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Aaargh

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Stop BB from auto-adding invites to calendar

Please Login to Remove!

I recently got my BB (Bold on AT&T) hooked up to my company's BES. Ever since then my calendar has become useless.

I get a lot (think 40 or 50 a day) of invitations. You can imagine what it does to my calendar when the BB automatically adds all of these events to it.

How can I prevent the phone from automatically doing this? (Turning wireless sync off is not an option. Managing this flood of crap is the reason I bought the BB in the first place.)

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

Unfortunately if you use Outlook, then that is a product of that application to automatically adds appointments to your calendar whether or not you accept them. This therefore means that as far as I know, there's nothing that can be done other than deleting these appointments when they come into your inbox because they will automatically be added thanks to how outlook treats them.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Aaargh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Wirelessly posted

Unfortunately if you use Outlook, then that is a product of that application to automatically adds appointments to your calendar whether or not you accept them. This therefore means that as far as I know, there's nothing that can be done other than deleting these appointments when they come into your inbox because they will automatically be added thanks to how outlook treats them.
I don't use Outlook. This was not happening before I got the BlackBerry.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
kirrinjones

Wirelessly posted

Ok, your BES is doing that, you can have your BES admin disable calendar synchronization on your account or you can go into your calendar options, select your desktop option and set wireless synchronization to NO.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Aaargh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Wirelessly posted

Ok, your BES is doing that, you can have your BES admin disable calendar synchronization on your account or you can go into your calendar options, select your desktop option and set wireless synchronization to NO.
In other words, there's no way for me to have a useful calendar that I can access from the phone?

I wonder if I can sell this steaming pile on eBay ...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
kjjb0204

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaargh View Post
I don't use Outlook. This was not happening before I got the BlackBerry.
You mean this wasn't happening until you hooked up on BES. One small issue and your bb is suddenly a steaming pile? That's pretty quick to judgement, isn't it?

And it's happening as a function of Outlook, not your BB.

Last edited by kjjb0204; 06-14-2009 at 08:05 PM..
Old 06-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Aaargh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
You mean this wasn't happening until you hooked up on BES. One small issue and your bb is suddenly a steaming pile? That's pretty quick to judgement, isn't it?
The whole point of having a BlackBerry is to manage one's e-mail and calendar, right? I've invested significant time and $ in this thing. Discovering that that's all wasted because some bozo at RIM mindlessly copied a stupid decision made by Microsoft many years ago makes me ... disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
And it's happening as a function of Outlook, not your BB.
You actually quoted me saying that I don't use Outlook.

Let me repeat, I don't use Exchange or Outlook, and this wasn't happening until I did the BES activation.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
R-Rizzo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: --
Carrier: T-Mo US

Not 100 percent sure this is a product of being on BES. The same thing happens to me, just in much smaller numbers. I believe its just the way blackberry handles meeting requests. I have my work email forward to my gmail thru BIS. And I get a meeting request, even though its been forwarded, the blackberry recognizes it as such and adds it to my calendar when I open the message. I do not believe you can turn this off.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

If this is your personal device, then you could take it off the company BES, right?

Also I think if you just delete those invite emails without opening them, they won't get added to your calendar.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
kirrinjones

Wirelessly posted

Well I made that suggestion to the poster that appointment are automatically added and the only fix is to delete the ones you don't want. Sometime, unfortunately, programmers don't think real world scenario when they develop applications and therefore they create functionalities that they believe is a great and useful idea, but it the real world that idea sucks, so we just have to work around it until it gets back to them that their brillant idea really sucks and they change it. Doesn't mean the product or the device is crap, just means it was developed and designed by humans.

I understand your frustration with this functionality, as my users complain about that very issue, as well as the fact that you don't have a FYI field in appointments, but we're just end users who can only ***** about the bad decisions made and hope they change them.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaargh View Post
Let me repeat, I don't use Exchange or Outlook, and this wasn't happening until I did the BES activation.
What does your company use for the calender function? This sounds like something that is occurring from BES, although I suspect that if you arrange to get your corporate mail via some mechanism other than BES it may occur with that as well. I am going to assume that if someone sends an invite via, let's say, a gmail account that this invitation will also show up on the BB. Is there a reason why you put a personal device on a corporate system?

I believe if you explicitly decline the invitation that it will be removed from the calender. I also suspect that the reason it is placed on the calender is to allow you to see what, if any, conflicts exist in your schedule.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Why aren't you declining meeting requests if you don't want them on your calendar?

Or do you not get the option to do so?

Last edited by takeshi; 06-15-2009 at 09:43 AM..
Closed Thread