eZainny
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus
Default Tell RIM what you would like to change

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

Apart from running BBSmart, I also write a blog called DevBerry where I talk about issues relating to BlackBerry Developers. Existing readers will know that I am a big advocate of change, having found myself on numerous occasions disappointed with many aspects of the BlackBerry platform for application developers.

Anybody who has ever tried to talk to RIM about these issues as well will know that you face an impenetrable brick wall. Even the serious alliance partners I've talked to face this same frustration and their suggestions and criticisms are mostly brushed aside.

I've been campaigning for RIM to take the BlackBerry developer community seriously, and I recently I was able to sit down with a person from RIM and discuss many of the frustrations I and many other developers I've talked to face. The points raised in that meeting can be found here:
Talking with RIM « BlackBerry Developer SideShow

As a response to that article, I've been told that it and comments to the article will be receiving some good visibility with higher-ups at RIM. If you are a BlackBerry developer and would like to put forward your point of view to RIM, I'm asking that you post a comment as well. At the end of the day, if you don't ask, you won't get and I think this is a great opportunity to help both yourself and RIM.

A small amount of effort now could have a significant positive impact on the future quality of the APIs, developer tools and documentation that is available for BlackBerry developers.

Thanks,
eZainny.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

Maybe the time is right, but knowing Rim i bet sod all will happen, here's my contribution: Developer complaints for Rim
Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
rnickel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Hey guys,

I read both of your posts, and I couldn't agree more...

haha, I had a lot more written, but I think I'm going to turn it into a post for my blog

In summary... "yes" haha
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
eZainny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
Maybe the time is right, but knowing Rim i bet sod all will happen, here's my contribution: Developer complaints for Rim
Sadly, I've had quite a few devs. email me and say the same thing. Ronen from BerryReview comments:

"The one common thread I have heard from everybody is that the system favors those who have an inside connection. Many of the top applications you know of for the BlackBerry are developed by ex-RIM employees or companies that have a strong insider connection to RIM."

Surrounded by such people, RIM probably gets told all the time by their close partners that developing for the BlackBerry is just super if only to ensure the continuation of "The Old Boys Club".

This time however I think an opportunity may exist for these issues to be seen by people who would not usually see them, which is why it's important that we get some support to show them things do need to change dramatically.

Last edited by eZainny; 01-14-2008 at 10:27 PM..
Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Ozarka

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I'd like to add a hearty "Me too!" to all the posts so far.

I don't think this is something RIM doesn't know. They've been hearing this for years. They know the dev forum is a joke; they know the JDE is atrocious.

So why don't they change? Pick one of the below reasons or make up your own. We'll never know.
1. It's "good enough" the way it is. There are enough 3rd party applications and developers to support the platform. No reason to invest.
2. They're working on something really fantastic, and they're going to blow us away next month.
3. They're incompetent.

I would love to make some noise and get an official response from RIM, but developer support has always been weak and I don't think that's going to change.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
rnickel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Okay, here is me throwing my hat in the ring: My Issues With The BlackBerry
Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
jose_416
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: ask for it
Carrier: TELUS

i would like RIM to be able to us MS Office on the blkberrys where i can edit and send it.. like come on guys.. its a bizness phone..
Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
PhillyGuy

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

How about fixing the memory leak?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
eZainny

Well, strictly speaking I was after posts from developers on particular things that RIM should change w.r.t the application development ecosystem but I guess I'm happy for this to become a free-for-all