Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
leicashot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Returning the Playbook

Please Login to Remove!

Why would Blackberry release a product that does NOT communicate with it's own software on a MAC?!?!?!

Seriously, there are a few MAC users out there and do they really believe their product is so superior that their customers will understand a 'no ETA' arrival of particular updates?

This is seriously ridiculous.

So, I called Blackberry Tech support and they had no idea when an update would appear and obviously could not solve my problem. This is inexcusable by Blackberry and I'm surprised that there aren't more complaints, or is it only PC users that are buying this product?

On a positive note, the Playbook screen has much better colors and contrast compared to the Ipad/2, but when I went to Adidas.com the Playbook couldn't select the options properly using flash, whereas the iPad 2 was formatted to work with it so everything was accessible, even though the formatting was different.

Last edited by leicashot; 05-11-2011 at 05:08 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Returning the Playbook

Rant.

For what it's worth, it is only recently that desktop manager for Mac was released to support handsets. And the OS download files for handsets have always been .exe. That's been RIM's way. But I expect Mac users will get PlayBook support quicker than they did handset support.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
fourstringfuror
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

This was known before the Playbook was released.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

That, too.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
If you mean your misuse of some key terms, then yes, this is seriously ridiculous.

MAC = MAC Address
Mac = Macintosh

PC = Personal Computer - This is not the same as a Windows based machine. In other words, you can have a Mac PC or a Windows PC or a Linux PC...

BlackBerry is not the name of the company, so BlackBerry didn't make anything. RIM did. And no, it's not RIMM, just so you are aware.

The Apple device is called iPad 2, not iPad/2. And for the record, there is no such device as an iTouch (although you didn't specifically fall into that trap).

You may now return to your regularly scheduled rant.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 05-11-2011 at 06:27 PM..
Old 05-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
SBurhani
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

lol
Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
If you mean your misuse of some key terms, then yes, this is seriously ridiculous.

MAC = MAC Address
Mac = Macintosh

PC = Personal Computer - This is not the same as a Windows based machine. In other words, you can have a Mac PC or a Windows PC or a Linux PC...

BlackBerry is not the name of the company, so BlackBerry didn't make anything. RIM did. And no, it's not RIMM, just so you are aware.

The Apple device is called iPad 2, not iPad/2. And for the record, there is no such device as an iTouch (although you didn't specifically fall into that trap).

Lol, I love it!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Why would Blackberry release a product that does NOT communicate with it's own software on a MAC?!?!?!

Seriously, there are a few MAC users out there and do they really believe their product is so superior that their customers will understand a 'no ETA' arrival of particular updates?

So, I called Blackberry Tech support and they had no idea when an update would appear and obviously could not solve my problem. This is inexcusable by Blackberry and I'm surprised that there aren't more complaints, or is it only PC users that are buying this product?

On a positive note, the Playbook screen has much better colors and contrast compared to the Ipad/2, but when I went to Adidas.com the Playbook couldn't select the options properly using flash, whereas the iPad 2 was formatted to work with it so everything was accessible, even though the formatting was different.
I guess RIM thinks that all Apple users would rather have a iPAD2 than a Playbook.

To be honest the PB is still a new device it's more like the iPAD was when it first came out, to really assume it will do everything for you out of the box on the very first release is very ignorant. I love my PB even though it's limiting right now but I know RIM will make up for it's limitations in the near future.

A.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
leicashot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

MAC = MAC Address
Mac = Macintosh

What load of useless BS. I should have know this post would bring out the fanboys, instead of replies that were objective and useful.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
leicashot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothadmin View Post
I guess RIM thinks that all Apple users would rather have a iPAD2 than a Playbook.

To be honest the PB is still a new device it's more like the iPAD was when it first came out, to really assume it will do everything for you out of the box on the very first release is very ignorant. I love my PB even though it's limiting right now but I know RIM will make up for it's limitations in the near future.

A.
I would assume that being able to load music and pictures onto this device would be something upon release. The ipad was fully workable upon release. Ignorance is something Blackberry has come to doing on a regular basis, and it's exemplified here. I guess Blackberry is still very much on the PC side, and so too are the users of this forum.

You call me ignorant but I expect that the BASIC features of the playbook work, no matter what computer I use. Even if the software isn't compatible, I would at least expect a manual drag and drop. That is pretty old technology.

Guess I'm posting o the wrong forum, seeing how my only responses are filled with arrogant fanboy mentality. I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means and have been a strong BB advocate for many years, but this kind of response is ugly and unprofessional. When I hear such responses, I can only imagine that the people responding are feeling insecure about the product and deep down agree with my sentiments.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

See posts #2 and #3. Being a fan of BlackBerry has nothing to do with being informed and recognizing the facts. You don't have to like it, and you don't have to buy. Pitching a fit is silly.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

As was explained in a previous post the lack of Mac compatibility was well known even before release. Are you saying you didn't know or did you ignore the limitation and forged ahead anyway? Now you say you expect it to work, but it was never said it would at the time of release. You can expect all you want, but if it is made known up front there will not be a compatibility, then don't complain it is missing and it should have had it.

Agree with you deep down? I don't think so. Should they have a solution? Perhaps, but as you indicated you are surprised you are the only voice complaining. Maybe all the other Mac users did heed the warning or maybe they have access to a Windows PC.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
ifonline
Magic Bananas

So pointing out your misuse of several terms makes me a BlackBerry fanboy? What odd, moronic logic. If I were ranting on and on about how "magical" BlackBerry devices are, then perhaps you would be right. But I wasn't. Instead, it seems that you are desperate to play the fanboy card in a feeble attempt to defend yourself. You get no bonus points for that.

Had you asked for help, you might have gotten better responses. But instead, you posted a useless rant about how it is inconceivable that RIM (not BlackBerry) could release a product that doesn't immediately work with the Mac (not MAC) desktop, how it is inexcusable that support reps at RIM are clueless (even though they are no more clueless than any other support reps, including the "magical" ones at Apple), and how the adidas.com web page works better on the iPad 2 (not iPad/2). Top all that off with your announcement that you are returning the PlayBook. Amazing. Do you feel better now? And just what responses would you have considered appropriate and helpful? Were you, perhaps, hoping that people would flock to you for the chance to bask, even briefly, in the warm glow of your infinite wisdom, begging you to be their friend because you stood up to the man and returned your PlayBook in protest of the lack of Mac support?

You can stop poking your lip out, by the way.

And for the record, I don't feel insecure about "the product" as you put it, and deep down I do not agree with your sentiments. Even if I dig really, really deep down.

Semper Fi 3/2/2

Last edited by ifonline; 05-12-2011 at 01:55 PM..
Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
I would assume that being able to load music and pictures onto this device would be something upon release. The ipad was fully workable upon release. Ignorance is something Blackberry has come to doing on a regular basis, and it's exemplified here. I guess Blackberry is still very much on the PC side, and so too are the users of this forum.

You call me ignorant but I expect that the BASIC features of the playbook work, no matter what computer I use. Even if the software isn't compatible, I would at least expect a manual drag and drop. That is pretty old technology.

Guess I'm posting o the wrong forum, seeing how my only responses are filled with arrogant fanboy mentality. I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means and have been a strong BB advocate for many years, but this kind of response is ugly and unprofessional. When I hear such responses, I can only imagine that the people responding are feeling insecure about the product and deep down agree with my sentiments.
Lets see, I load my movies onto my 64GB playbook, I load my music, and pictures I take with my nikon to show my clients, I use some of the apps that I found on App World, I enjoy some of the games, I surf the web, talk to my other friends using voice chat, use the bridge sometimes, I go to YouTube to watch videos (in flash), uhm.. I hook my Playbook to my TV and use it a mini computer using my bluetooth keyboard and mouse...It's not perfect but I know RIM is working on making it better.

A
Old 05-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
SBurhani
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
I would assume that being able to load music and pictures onto this device would be something upon release. The ipad was fully workable upon release.....

"Fully workable upon release" is a gross overstatement. And did you just mention 'drag and drop' whilst playing up the iPad? The same 'drag and drop' that was, is, and always will be impossible (even though it IS such old technology) on iOS devices? And now let me point out that the playbook appears as a network drive over wifi, by which means you can, as a matter of fact, drag and drop files to its folders. Including, but not limited to, music, pictures, movies, documents...yes, workable, editable, usable, sendable professional documents. Tell me, please, how an iPad has handled that task? Fanboy or not, the facts are in front of you and do not lie. Calling you ignorant is not born of being a fan, but by the misrepresentation you spout in an attempt to gain leverage over a very solid, if not fully developed, product.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
ifonline
Magic Bananas

While I'm thinking about it, here's a video demonstrating PlayBook drag and drop of files across WiFi with a Mac. Enjoy.

YouTube - Wi-Fi File Sharing on the BlackBerry PlayBook

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
leicashot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Seriously you PC users have come to expect far too little from a product to hit market. Most Apple products work out of box. While there may be issues, everything they advertise works, maybe not perfectly, but they work. Maybe it was 'known' that it won't load pictures/music on a Mac, but why should I have to read forums to find out such information? I should just be able to go to the store, look at the features being advertised, and purchase, expecting those features to do as advertised.

As a community you're all far too forgiving when it comes to incomplete products reaching market level, and it's disgusting the attitude received here. You're taking it all too personally, when I'm ranting a bout a product, not anyone specific.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #18
leicashot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
So pointing out your misuse of several terms makes me a BlackBerry fanboy? What odd, moronic logic. If I were ranting on and on about how "magical" BlackBerry devices are, then perhaps you would be right. But I wasn't. Instead, it seems that you are desperate to play the fanboy card in a feeble attempt to defend yourself. You get no bonus points for that.

Had you asked for help, you might have gotten better responses. But instead, you posted a useless rant about how it is inconceivable that RIM (not BlackBerry) could release a product that doesn't immediately work with the Mac (not MAC) desktop, how it is inexcusable that support reps at RIM are clueless (even though they are no more clueless than any other support reps, including the "magical" ones at Apple), and how the adidas.com web page works better on the iPad 2 (not iPad/2). Top all that off with your announcement that you are returning the PlayBook. Amazing. Do you feel better now? And just what responses would you have considered appropriate and helpful? Were you, perhaps, hoping that people would flock to you for the chance to bask, even briefly, in the warm glow of your infinite wisdom, begging you to be their friend because you stood up to the man and returned your PlayBook in protest of the lack of Mac support?

You can stop poking your lip out, by the way.

And for the record, I don't feel insecure about "the product" as you put it, and deep down I do not agree with your sentiments. Even if I dig really, really deep down.
Seriously, by continuing to attack my comments, you're only making yourself look even more insecure. Surely you have better things to do, like enjoying your playbook? Before wasting time pointing out everything wrong with my wording, why don't you learn some tact before attacking someone over a 'product'. I have every right to speak openly about my disappointment without being ridiculed over it. So on that note, I have no more reason to comment and leave myself open to further attack, and honestly have better things to do with my time.

If any of you have some respect, it may be best to end this conversation here, without adding more useless garbage to this forum.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Grow up. Who's the fanboy? People disagree with you. Accept it. Deal with it.

You haven't been attacked. And no one has said you don't have a right to your opinion,
or to express it.

Your rant belonged in rants and raves.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Most Apple products work out of box.
To some degree, sure. But that's because when the iPhone and the iPad were released, for example, they had a fairly limited feature set. As the products matured, they gained more features... much like the PlayBook is doing now. Do I defend the PlayBook in it's current state? No. As a matter of fact, I am quite disappointed in many aspects of the PlayBook, but I'm not stomping my feet and banging my fists on the desk in disgust. I have decided to wait it out and see where this goes.

Quote:
While there may be issues, everything they advertise works, maybe not perfectly, but they work.
If they work, then how can there be issues? Conversely, if there are issues, then how do they work?

Quote:
Maybe it was 'known' that it won't load pictures/music on a Mac, but why should I have to read forums to find out such information?
You don't. You could have actually read through the product information and then read up on BlackBerry Desktop software for the Mac, all on the BlackBerry website (Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com). Then you should have realized that the PlayBook isn't supported by the Mac Desktop software, all without reading through the forums.

However, you seem to be glossing over that you can connect to the PlayBook via WiFi from a Mac, and move content back and forth all day long if you wish, including pictures and music.

Quote:
I should just be able to go to the store, look at the features being advertised, and purchase, expecting those features to do as advertised.
So everything in the store works with a Mac, no questions asked? You don't ever check to make sure the item supports the Mac? Really?

Quote:
As a community you're all far too forgiving when it comes to incomplete products reaching market level, and it's disgusting the attitude received here. You're taking it all too personally, when I'm ranting a bout a product, not anyone specific.
No, what doesn't go over well here is useless ranting. As I said before, if you had asked for help, you likely would have received it. You didn't ask, however. You just spewed forth a rant.

Nothing personal, by the way.

Quote:
Seriously, by continuing to attack my comments, you're only making yourself look even more insecure.
Seriously? Now I feel insecure.

Quote:
Surely you have better things to do, like enjoying your playbook?
Actually, at the moment, you're in luck because I don't have anything better to do.

Quote:
Before wasting time pointing out everything wrong with my wording, why don't you learn some tact before attacking someone over a 'product'.
Ok. With all due respect, kind sir, your rant is worthless. Does that work better?

Quote:
...and honestly have better things to do with my time.
Come on now. Be honest. You don't really have better things to do with your time, now do you?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Closed Thread