Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Dave_Irish

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default EDP.DAT file not leaving Outlook inbox

Please Login to Remove!

I have an issue with Activating a user on our BES.

First, some background:

(1) Normally, we have company-purchased units, but this is his own private Blackberry. He has told me that he has the desktop manager software installed on his home computer.
(2) He had several email addresses already set up on the unit (Gmail, AOL, Yahoo).
(3) We have told him time and time again that we do not recommend using the desktop manager software on his home PC while being on our BES, because he can screw the settings up, but we know that you can't monitor that kind of stuff.
(4) He just got through upgrading the firmware on his Blackberry, for no particular reason. It was done on his home PC using the application loader. After the upgrade, he continued to get email from gmail, AOL, and yahoo, but his BES mail with us, which was working fine before, stopped. So he called me to help him re-activate.

The problem:
When he starts the activation process, his MS Outlook on his work PC gets the EDP.DAT file, and it never disappears like it's supposed to. He never progresses through the activation. So I reset his activation password, and had him try activating, and it never progresses. He just gets another EDP.DAT file in outlook.

I have checked and he has no rules set up in Outlook, so it can't be that the message is being filed or forwarded.

So my question is -- is it possible that he installed the desktop manager/redirector software on his home PC incorrectly (like answered the install wizard questions wrong), and the redirector software is handling the EDP.DAT message incorrectly, because he didn't answer "I am using a BES"?

I haven't tried deleting his BES account and recreating it yet, which is going to be my next step, but if it doesn't work, should I have him close down all the Desktop manager and Redirector software on his Home PC, and then have him try?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Irish View Post
I have an issue with Activating a user on our BES.

First, some background:

(1) Normally, we have company-purchased units, but this is his own private Blackberry. He has told me that he has the desktop manager software installed on his home computer.
(2) He had several email addresses already set up on the unit (Gmail, AOL, Yahoo).
(3) We have told him time and time again that we do not recommend using the desktop manager software on his home PC while being on our BES, because he can screw the settings up, but we know that you can't monitor that kind of stuff.
(4) He just got through upgrading the firmware on his Blackberry, for no particular reason. It was done on his home PC using the application loader. After the upgrade, he continued to get email from gmail, AOL, and yahoo, but his BES mail with us, which was working fine before, stopped. So he called me to help him re-activate.

The problem:
When he starts the activation process, his MS Outlook on his work PC gets the EDP.DAT file, and it never disappears like it's supposed to. He never progresses through the activation. So I reset his activation password, and had him try activating, and it never progresses. He just gets another EDP.DAT file in outlook.

I have checked and he has no rules set up in Outlook, so it can't be that the message is being filed or forwarded.

So my question is -- is it possible that he installed the desktop manager/redirector software on his home PC incorrectly (like answered the install wizard questions wrong), and the redirector software is handling the EDP.DAT message incorrectly, because he didn't answer "I am using a BES"?

I haven't tried deleting his BES account and recreating it yet, which is going to be my next step, but if it doesn't work, should I have him close down all the Desktop manager and Redirector software on his Home PC, and then have him try?
That is exactly what he did and the Desktop service books used by the redirector are interferring with the BES service books. Have the user uninstall the desktop manager, delete all service books "[Desktop]", reinstall desktop manager using BIS, update Host Routing Tables and the send a new EA.

Good Luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
mud5150

Model: 7130e
Carrier: sprint

Hi Dave,

If the etp message isn't dissappearing from the mailbox then either the bes isn't able to access the mailbox or something is modifying the message so the bes isn't recognizing it. I would have him keep all copies of Outlook closed during activation to ensure that mailbox virus scanning or something with Outlook isn't modifying the message. Use web access to see if the etp is still there. If it is then there is a problem with the BES accessing the mailbox. I would take a look in the agent logs on the BES to find out what is going on at that point.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Dave_Irish

Model: 8800
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the info, guys.

Oddly enough, I've done absolutely nothing, and the blackberry is activating. It seems that it's just taking a lot longer for everything to happen. the EDP.DAT file disappeared after about 20 minutes, then activation started. He's almost all done.

Do you think the Desktop manage/redirector is still to blame?
Closed Thread