Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #61
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
And at the same time, for better or worse, Apple/Jobs is in war with Adobe where Apple appears to have made the first strike. Not good.

Also, if you all remember, Apple was in not that good a shape not that many years ago. They are one of the few technological companies that came back from the edge. In reality Apple, RIM, LG, Motorola, and the others are always one major technical disaster from financial problems. I view Palm as the walking dead at this point. Sort of a zombie phone if you will.

A change in government policy, either here or overseas, could have a major negative impact on the future of various suppliers of electronic toys. This includes Apple. Witness the ban on iPads in Israel for violating the laws for Wi-Fi energy levels. This may be the real reason that Apple has decided to not launch the IPad outside the US until later due to their superior engineering group not being able to understand that a product has to meet the rules of country before it can be imported. I guess being able to read and comprehend is not part of the employment pre-exam at Apple.

At some point RIM might go belly up, but then Apple and the others may very well be buried in the same technology cemetery.
You couldn't have been anymore anti Apple if you tried.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #62
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Hum, lets see. Both of my college kids have Apple Mac Pro 13 inch laptops which I bought. The wife has an iPod and I just bought a iMac 27 inch i7. Does that sound anti-Apple?

I am an electrical engineer and I deal with the inter-country code issues all the time. My comment is based on what I have to do at my job. It appears that the engineering department at Apple was not doing their job. This is not anti-Apple, but a observation of reality. The engineering manager of the iPad project should be terminated with cause over this little problem.

I have a very strong issue with the iPhone. It is only available from at&t which is a poor service provider in many of the locations that I visit for work. How do I know this? I have lent out my Verizon/GTE phones for the last 15 or so years to owners of at&t and Sprint phones. Again I deal with reality and that is why I have a BlackBerry.

I suggest you revisit your opinion and deal with reality.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #63
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
This entire thread reminds me of deja vu.
Didn't we meet him in a bar in Mexico?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #64
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic View Post
If you line up an iPhone, a Droid, a HTC Desire and a BB and give a regular smartphone user a choice they probably ain't gonna choose the BB.
That's just plain ignorant, too.

IF you've ever read any techblogs or smartphone financial blogs -- or heck, even this forum OR even this one thread, you'd know that BlackBerry is still the largest selling smartphone.

And for the record, I probably spend more money on Apple products than anyone in this thread (or even a few of you combined) in my personal business.

I am not anti-Apple.

I am anti-ignorant trolls.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #65
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
to the die hard apple people, why does apple not give codes to open the device to install what i feel like on it?
It's called jailbreaking and it is very easy. There isn't anything out there app wise worth having that makes jailbreaking worthwhile IMHO, but you can still do it if you want to.

Quote:
the os is licended from apple, but i own the device why cant i dumb linux on it?
If you want Linux on a phone get an Android device. Best mobile Linux available.

Quote:
pls stay with apple fan boys apple will tell you what you can do / cant do, how and when.
Sorry, this is just a stupid and totally baseless comment. I CAN do everything that I WANT to do on my iPad and iPod Touch WHEN I want and HOW I want.

Here are some factual ways in which RIM won't let you do what you want to do, how or when. I WANTED a better browser for my BB and RIM said not available. I WANTED better memory management so that my calendar entries wouldn't get deleted. RIM didn't think that was a good idea. I WANTED more memory to install more apps and RIM said nah. I WANTED a bigger, higher resolution screen and RIM said no. I WANTED a higher quality camera and RIM said no. I WANTED better media management and RIM thought not. I WANTED better integration with Gmail and gCal. RIM wouldn't do it.
I wanted the iphone to live a day out with normal usage unfortunatly unless every where you go has an iphone charge the pos is not portable unless you wish not to make calls. I would write more but from the jailbreaking comment shows how ignorant you are
Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #66
wabbit

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ
Quote:
he is in a way right.....

look at htc, samsung, nokia, etc all the other phone mfg that make a touch screen none have a huge impact if they had an apple logo then maybe but minus that even with better stats then an iphone they are not selling.

while maybe the apple cult must have the next gen of apple products, most people i know who went apple left apple, for a qwerty phone, also the form factor of the iphone even the touch screen htc's its too big, its clunky and something you have to watch out for a larger screen bigger phone makes it easier to break.
Huh?? Not selling, weird. They are selling plenty with more on the way. You must be drinking the same thing as Mike.

And by the way, HTC, which makes lots of touch screen phones is doing quite well.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...profits-681882
wow. Htc was for the longest the only android phone mfg it was a touch screen and what they sold 600k for the fist year of the g1. Oh right tmobile. Ever owned a htc. Solid outside build touchflow is such a piece of s*** its not even everywhere. Hd2 looks great on paper go play with it. Its still junk with better hardware then the iphone you pray too that can't last a work day with out hitting up a charger 2-3 times during 8 hrs

HTC is what in that pile of other phones in smart phone marker. Yeh they are real big. Lol.

Nokia #1 market share
RIM #2
Apple #3
Other samsung htc and motocrap and lg yeh they dominate a fad over touch screens. Lol

On a side note I have yet known anybody with in a year time still own the original iphone they purchased.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #67
Noodle22

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I think the argument that the iPhone does not sell as well based on the fact that it is only through AT&T in the US should be null and void. The sales reports we see are world wide, and it's sold by the four major carriers in Canada, it only had exclusivity with Rogers for one year.
blue.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #68
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I've been in and out of RIM stock since before it got to $100 on the way up. The first earnings conference call I listened to was the worst conference call I've ever heard. Only one of the CEO's was on (didn't know they had 2 until later) and he did a terrible job in the Q&A. Couldn't put a coherent answer together so others on the call (CFO and someone else I think) would jump in.

That was when I figured it was a company run by engineers, so decided to ride the stock while I could, but get out if it turned south. Luckily got out into the $110's and $120's, but was stupid enough to try to get back in at points, and have given some profit back.

I've been impressed by the recent advertising campaign, but I doubt that came from the top. I'm pretty sure someone lower is driving the marketing.

So while I'll put down money on the phones, I'm less willing to invest in the company. Things like these comments from the CEO make me wonder if they'll make the right choices at some decision points. They sell nearly 6 times as many phones now as 2007 (37 million vs. 6.5 million units), but the stock has done poorly. The market doesn't seem to think their growth rate will continue to be so high. It's actually a relatively cheap stock, but if the CEO is belittling touch screens it takes a lot of growth options off the table. A whole lot of the world doesn't use the Roman alphabet.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #69
dualsub2006
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Head

Quote:
Wirelessly posted
I wanted the iphone to live a day out with normal usage unfortunatly unless every where you go has an iphone charge the pos is not portable unless you wish not to make calls. I would write more but from the jailbreaking comment shows how ignorant you are
Name calling is sure sign of a weak mind.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #70
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
Name calling is sure sign of a weak mind.
what name calling?

here let me help you out

Quote:
ignorant
xxx8194; xxx8194;/xxx712;xxx618;gnxxx601;rxxx601;nt/ Show Spelled[ig-ner-uhnt] Show IPA
adjective
lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
uninformed; unaware.
due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.
clearly you're ignorant of what i was saying. stating that jailbreaking is how to load an os onto the iphone. i just call it how i see it. i would break that post down way more but i was on wap and after reading your ignorance i have no urge to continue. nor do i care to make this into apple vs blackberry vs another thread. the fact is less it has an apple logo touchscreens dont sell.

most of them from htc, samsung, even nokia are clumsy they dont sell. nokia is losing market share, htc is the first android phone mfg, and yet has been doing touch screen winmobile for years yet they are not selling, android gave them a little profits, since they dont have to LOL LICENSE or buy the os! HELLO PROFITS!

htc has how many android phones? 5-6 ? still not even close to the market share apple has even with apple locked to att? and certain carriers....

touch screens are not that popular less they have an apple logo, its a fad like tamogachi.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #71
BeachBum71
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
And, of course, because members of the iCult know what's best for everyone else.

Non replaceable batteries
No Flash video

Never ever question the leader.
From personal experience, add this:

Without the apps the iPhone is just an iPod touch, only it makes and receives calls. I tried mine for two weeks without apps, couldn't do anything.

I'll stick with RIM!

Richard

After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."
Old 04-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #72
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Coming from a student majoring in business, RIM is run by some of the stupidest people alive at the moment. If RIM wants any sort of chance in the smart phone market, they need to actually look at what makes other companies successful and stop brainwashing themselves into believing facts that they make up. If they were really smart, they would continue upgrading the storm, and produce another entry-level device like the 8520 with more features. They're leading the Blackberry market right now.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #73
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
They're leading the Blackberry market right now.
?? They are the BlackBerry market.

I can't say I agree with the thought of making lower end devices, some people need higher end devices.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #74
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
?? They are the BlackBerry market.

I can't say I agree with the thought of making lower end devices, some people need higher end devices.
The release of the 8500 series drove Blackberry sales up. Therefore the phone is a success. Blackberry's sales isn't a matter of opinion, it is numbers. I've noticed a lot more people around campus/everywhere I go have Storms and Curve 85XXs instead of Bolds and 8900s. I also never said that making higher end devices was a bad idea. I'm just saying that they need to pay attention to their customers' wants. If you look at it from a business standpoint, they cover a few different submarkets, and depending on how you break those submarkets up, you can see it as higher-end smartphones and lower-end smartphones. I think that they not only need to focus on their higher-end market, but also improve on their lower-end market, which at the moment is flourishing.

Last edited by unclefester; 04-21-2010 at 06:42 PM..
Old 04-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #75
SteveO86

I'm not saying the lower end devices were unsuccessful, I was just stating forgetting about higher end devices would be a mistake.

Also the 8900 Curve should be considered a lower end device considering it's lack or 3G especially since it was released after the 9000 if I remember correctly.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #76
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum71 View Post
From personal experience, add this:

Without the apps the iPhone is just an iPod touch, only it makes and receives calls. I tried mine for two weeks without apps, couldn't do anything.

I'll stick with RIM!
??????
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #77
SteveO86

Think I said the same thing

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #78
dualsub2006

Quote:
what name calling?
you are = name calling. Simple.

Quote:
clearly you're ignorant of what i was saying. stating that jailbreaking is how to load an os onto the iphone.
I didn't say in response to that question that you jailbreak to install an OS. In fact, in response to your question about wanting to "dumb linux on it" I suggested that you get an Android phone.

You do lack a basic understanding of the jailbreaking benefits though. You CAN install a new OS after jailbreak and you DO jailbreak if installing a new OS is what you want to do. An OS like iPhone OS 4b2 if you happen to have it. Guess I'm not so ignorant after all. And yes squire, I know you would like to install some vaporware version of Linux on the iPod/iPhone but it doesn't even exists in a meaningful and useable way. That makes your point, well, pointless.

Quote:
most of them from htc, samsung, even nokia are clumsy they dont sell. nokia is losing market share, htc is the first android phone mfg, and yet has been doing touch screen winmobile for years yet they are not selling, android gave them a little profits, since they dont have to LOL LICENSE or buy the os! HELLO PROFITS!

htc has how many android phones? 5-6 ? still not even close to the market share apple has even with apple locked to att? and certain carriers....

touch screens are not that popular less they have an apple logo, its a fad like tamogachi.
Wow. Just. Wow. The person that typed this incoherent mess called me ignorant.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #79
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
you are = name calling. Simple.

I didn't say in response to that question that you jailbreak to install an OS. In fact, in response to your question about wanting to "dumb linux on it" I suggested that you get an Android phone.
really you quoted it, i did not know that jailbreak gave me phone radio controls, gave me actually a loader to push an os on to the phone, and other functions.

what i do know is jailbreak allows me to be not bound to apples app store and adds 2 or 3 different methods of installing apps.

Quote:
You do lack a basic understanding of the jailbreaking benefits though. You CAN install a new OS after jailbreak and you DO jailbreak if installing a new OS is what you want to do. An OS like iPhone OS 4b2 if you happen to have it. Guess I'm not so ignorant after all. And yes squire, I know you would like to install some vaporware version of Linux on the iPod/iPhone but it doesn't even exists in a meaningful and useable way. That makes your point, well, pointless.
read the above post.
Quote:
Wow. Just. Wow. The person that typed this incoherent mess called me ignorant.
i like my run on sense tyvm.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #80
dualsub2006

Quote:
really you quoted it, i did not know that jailbreak gave me phone radio controls, gave me actually a loader to push an os on to the phone, and other functions.
Once again, you have changed what you originally wrote, and you are mixing my responses to your 2 distinct questions. Go back and read what was asked by you and then my response. I did not suggest jailbreaking in response to your original question about a different OS. If you wanted to "dumb Linux on it", I suggested an Android device.

Quote:
reallywhat i do know is jailbreak allows me to be not bound to apples app store and adds 2 or 3 different methods of installing apps.
And allows you to install a new version of the iPhone OS. Oddly enough if you jailbreak you can also now install a new dual boot version of Android for iPhone. It is a very early alpha, but I understand it works quite well.

Quote:
reallyread the above post.

i like my run on sense tyvm.
I'm not surprised at all.
Closed Thread