BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
jkotsonas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default accessing folders other than inbox?

Please Login to Remove!

Howdy,
Not sure if this is the right place for this. Apologies if so.

Is there any way, on a BB Curve that's on the Verizon network, where you can access emails in folders other than the inbox?

I know you can on an AT&T device, but w/ the Verizon, you just get the inbox. You can view the other folders in your outlook folder list, but when you click to show you don't see anything.

We're on Exchange 2003; Outlook 2003; BB Server Site admin 4.1.3

The BB Curve (8330) is updated w/ software vers. 4.5

Thanks in advance!

- him
Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

You need to enable folder redirection.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
jkotsonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
thanks.

enable FR from where - the device, outlook, exchange...?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
jkotsonas

Quote:
ok. so I phutzed around w/ it and have (sort of) figured it out.

Using BB Desktop Mgr (I have 4.3.0.17 installed on my pc), I was able to go into Email settings > Advanced tab > folder redirection.

I checked the "Selected Folders" bullet, clicked on "choose folders" and checked off a number of folders along w/ the inbox.

Test messages sent successfully made it to the the proper folder and I was able to view them.

However, the test messages ended up in both the inbox and the proper redirected folder and when I deleted the message out of the inbox on the device, it also deleted it out of the redirected folder as well.

I don't suppose there's a way one can have the email go to the redirected folder only and not end up in the inbox as well is there?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't think so.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
jkotsonas

Quote:
I don't think so.
ok. played around w/ it some more and you can, but as in most cases, it's one of those "be careful what you ask for" deals.

So after editing the redirector setting(s) in BB Mgr (prev. post), you then need to go into "Options > General options" on the device (when in the messages folder) and set the "hide filed messages" to "yes".

Now, test emails sent that are directed by outlook rules to specific outlook folders end up in both the inbox and the redirected folder on the device. You then need to open up the email in the device inbox and upon closing out that email, it disappears from the device inbox but remains in the devices redirected folder.

Kind of a hassle if you have many rules/folders set up in your outlook as everything sent ends up in the device's inbox until you open/close out the email.

The other issue that occurred was, once I changed all those settings, the "reconcile now" feature doesn't work, so emails deleted from my outlook inbox (and sent specifically to the inbox) are still showing on the device. If I hard delete, I have to manually delete them off of the device. If I soft delete, they are then deleted off of the device and then I have to go into my deleted items folder in outlook and manually delete them from there to keep my exchange account under the limit.

Apparently, per RIM there is an article online that guides you through setting up some sort of hard delete programming, but given that all emails, regardless of what folder they're going to in your outlook end up in the inbox of your device, it's not worth it.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

They're not actually delivered to the inbox. Any item in Messages that has a folder icon instead of an envelope is a new message in a redirected subfolder. Once you view the message it won't show up in Messages.

Messages isn't necessarily your inbox. That's a common mistaken assumption.

To illustrate, try this:

- In Messages, access the menu, select View Folder and then choose Inbox. Now what you see is your Inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkotsonas View Post
The other issue that occurred was, once I changed all those settings, the "reconcile now" feature doesn't work, so emails deleted from my outlook inbox (and sent specifically to the inbox) are still showing on the device. If I hard delete, I have to manually delete them off of the device. If I soft delete, they are then deleted off of the device and then I have to go into my deleted items folder in outlook and manually delete them from there to keep my exchange account under the limit.
Hard deleted and moves to PST's won't reconcile.

If you're going over your limit then setup autoarchive to clear out your Deleted Items regularly.

Last edited by takeshi; 02-05-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post

To illustrate, try this:

- In Messages, access the menu, select View Folder and then choose Inbox. Now what you see is your Inbox.
Thanks for that tip!

Now, is there a way to have an icon on the homescreen that takes you straight to your Inbox, instead of to Messages? Having to open Messages, then Menu/View Folder, enter, just to get to only my Inbox is a PITA.

If it matters, I am asking with regards to a BES Inbox.
Verizon 9550
Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
jkotsonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
They're not actually delivered to the inbox. Any item in Messages that has a folder icon instead of an envelope is a new message in a redirected subfolder. Once you view the message it won't show up in Messages.

To illustrate, try this:

Hard deleted and moves to PST's won't reconcile.

If you're going over your limit then setup autoarchive to clear out your Deleted Items regularly.
A belated "thanks" for the reply and info. Good piece of info to have.

Obviously, my last post was incorrect in that changing the settings resulted in a "reconcile now" issue.

I was not aware that by hard deleting (a habit I got into to help keep my mailbox size down) it would affect the ability to reconcile.

Thanks again.
Closed Thread