Big thank you!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #342
anya819

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Hello,
I have an 8100 Pearl that was previously connected to a BES, apparently with a restrictive IT Policy. I've installed a new OS version 4.5 and followed all the instructions regarding the factory reset. It seemed to work great--all of the settings that seemed to show an IT policy before have disappeared and I've been able to disable the firewall.

However, I still can't get registered on the AT&T network. The host routing table registration isn't working (no entries after registration sent), and while I have some service books and can use the MediaNet internet, I don't have service books for any of the blackberry services. Sending the service books also isn't helping. I've talked with customer service at AT&T and RIM but their magic didn't work--both think it's some sort of IT policy still stuck on the phone. (Not sure if this is a problem, but the setup is only giving me the option to register on a BES, not personal email, and the firewall screen also has the option for blocking BES emails that AT&T says shouldn't be there)

Does anyone have suggestions about what to do next? Where could I find this policy that might be there? Or, do you have any other thoughts about what might be wrong?

Many thanks to everyone for this thread--it's been very helpful!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #343
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

If you're able to disable the firewall then there is NO policy left on the device.

This sounds like an issue with your BlackBerry Data Plan. It sounds like it hasn't been provisioned properly yet. Make sure you've subscribed to a BlackBerry Data Plan with ATT.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #344
anya819

Thanks for the suggestion. I just spoke with AT&T again to suggest that it's a provisioning issue. They changed the data plan on the account, but it didn't seem to help. They had me switch SIM cards with my husband's blackberry and change up the service in the web client.

I was able to take my SIM card out, change the web client, and make the blackberry service work on my husband's 7130 device. However, I wasn't able to make my husband's blackberry service work on the 8100 device. On the pearl, the letters in the top corner change to a lower case "edge" but won't change to the uppercase "EDGE". The Media net internet icon works on the pearl, but the blackberry push won't work with either SIM card.

Does that make this some other sort of device issue aside from an IT policy problem? Any other thoughts on what might be wrong?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #345
John Clark
BBF Moderator

So, for whatever reason the device is not connecting to the RIM data center. Where did you get the BB? Did you get it used? eBay or something? It's possible the device was stolen and the pin blocked by RIM? I would contact the seller if that's the case.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #346
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Under Options >Mobile Network is "Data Services" set to On?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #347
anya819

Yes, I bought it from a seller on eBay who said it was "new, never opened", which is obviously not the case since it's been connected to a BES in the past. I've contacted him to see what's up.

AT&T tech support has passed me to RIM a few times and they never said anything about the IMEI being stolen or blocked. I"ll check with them again since the case the still open.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts and suggestions!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #348
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yes, since it's definitely not "new, never opened" I'd probably see if you can return it.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #349
foursight

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Suncom

I have an 8310 running 4.5.0.81. I used JL_cmdr and the "resettofactory" command then wiped the device to remove the IT policy but it remains on. I didn't delete the policy.bin or make any registry changes on my PC because I didn't think those steps applied to my software version, should I do that?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #350
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

If you've NEVER used method 2 then resettofactory is all you need. If you've downloaded and applied the policy.bin in method 2 in the past then you'll need to remove it as it will apply to every BB you plug into it.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #351
megdy

Model: 8900
Carrier: TELKOMSEL

THANK YOU for this info
Old 01-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #352
wrhfinancial

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

I did this on my 8800
Will it also work with the Bold

Thanks

Wayne
Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #353
twelvike

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone HU

cool, thx John,
The first methood perfectly work for me.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #354
bob64064

Model: 8703
Carrier: verizon
Default I'm about to give up

Purchased an 8703g from a reputable seller on ebay. The phone was set to lock after TWO minutes and password cannot be disabled. After a two hour discussion with Verizon and Blackberry we discovered the problem discussed here.

The seller referred me to here to get rid of the IT restrictions.

I followed your instructions in the first post to the letter. However now all I can get from the phone is a blank screen with an icon in the middle....large circle with a diagonal bar through it and a rectangle in the middle, with "507" beneath the circle. Screenshot attached.

What the heck is going on? Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: bmp bbscreenshot.bmp (225.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #355
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You need to reload the OS to the device. 507 simply means the device is ready to have the OS reloaded.

Just follow the instructions here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-119-cdma.html
Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #356
bob64064

Default Thanks John

I loaded the new os. ran the IT deletion software again. (How long should this procedure take? It only took a few seconds here. So I downloaded the software again, reinstalled it, ran it again. Same result) Removed the battery. No apparent wipe occurred. Did a manual wipe from the security screen. No joy in mudville. There seems to be no change at all in the settings and I still have no access to changing the password or security timeout (which is still set at 2 min). Now there is a little red dot or maybe a lock (too small to tell) beside each of those options. And the IT policy name and last update are still on the security screen.

Can you help????? please!

Thanks

Bob
Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #357
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

This works on every BB. You are doing something wrong. Since you're working with an 8703 you should be using "method 2". There should be no reason to reload the OS during this procedure. Please follow the instructions exactly as outlined.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #358
bob64064

Default Thanks again John

I thought I did follow the instructions. I thought it said if you're using an 8XXX BB then method 1 was to be used. But I will go back and retry with method 2.

I really do appreciate your assistance. I'm just frustrated with not getting any help from the seller. And I spent a ton of time yesterday trying to get it to work. Hopefully method 2 will work, as I'm sure it will.

Thank you

Bob
Old 01-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #359
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It says you *should* use method 1 if you have OS 4.3 or higher. I'm assuming your 8703e has 4.2 or older. The "resettofactory" in JL_Cmder doesn't work on OS 4.2 and older. It sounds like you did the "wipe" in JL_Cmder and that removes the OS from the device but doesn't touch the IT policy. If/when OS 4.5 comes out for the 8703 then you can load OS 4.5 and then use the resettofactory command with JL_Cmder.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #360
bob64064

Default Success!

Thanks John. Using the second method worked like a charm. And you're correct about the sequence of events which erased the o/s. I looked, but didn't find, the release number/edition for the o/s on the BB. So... when I downloaded the new o/s, I assumed (and yes, i know)..etc, etc. Wrong assumption apparently. All is now ok, other than the firewall. But I can live with that for the time being.

Thanks again

Bob