BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Russy

Model: 9800
Carrier: MTN
Default Search function in contacts not working

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. I used to have the bold and when I searched key words which were in the notes section of a contact, it would find it. Now if I use search on the torch, it doesnt search the notes section.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Search function in contacts not working

This is from the 9800 user guide. It may help.

xxx8226; To start a new search, click Search by.
CAUTION: If you delete a message from the message search results, the message is also deleted from your message inbox or the email
application on your computer.
Search for text in a message, in a file, or on a web page
To search for text in a presentation, you must view the presentation in text view or in text and slide view.
1. In a message, in a file, in an attachment, or on a web page, press the key > Find or Find on Page.
2. Type the text.
3. Press the Enter key.
To search for the next instance of the text, press the key > Find Next.
View, change, or delete a saved search
1. On the Home screen, click the Messages icon.
2. Press the key > Search.
3. Press the key.
xxx8226; To view a list of saved searches, click Recall.
xxx8226; To change a saved search, click Recall. Highlight a search. Press the key > Edit Search. Change the search criteria. Press the
key > Save.
xxx8226; To delete a saved search, click Recall. Highlight a search. Press the key > Delete Search.
Search for a contact in your organization's address book
To perform this task, your work email account must use a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server that supports this feature. For more information, contact
your administrator.
1. On the Home screen, click the Contacts icon.
2. Press the key > Lookup.
3. Type part or all of a contact name.
4. Press the key on the keyboard.
5. Press the key.
xxx8226; To add a contact to your contact list, click Add to Contacts.
xxx8226; To add all the contacts, click Add All to Contacts.
xxx8226; To view information for a contact, click View.
xxx8226; To delete a contact from the contact lookup results, click Delete.
User Guide Search
xxx8226; To delete the contact lookup results, click Delete Lookup.
xxx8226; To start a new contact lookup, click Lookup.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Russy

Thanks for the quick response, however this doesnt really help me. I make notes within some contacts, for example "aircraft mechanic". I used to be able to type in "aircraft mechanic" and it would search all fields in my contact including the notes field and then bring up a list of all the aircraft mechanics. It seems that this functionality is missing on the Torch
Old 11-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack

I cannot find any reason it does not work but also cannot find out if they changed it for some reason. If it helps, it does not work on my 9700 either.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
Russy

Thanks again. It definitiley works on my 9700 if using the actual search function. Thanks anyway
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
b_ohare
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I'm pretty ticked about this. I did a search the other day knowing that the information I was searching for was in the notes field of some contact, and nothing came up. As I tested some more, I figured out that search no longer searches text fields. It's unbelievably stupid to remove that feature. It's like going backwards.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
wteague

Model: torch
PIN: N/A

Russy, did you ever find a solution to this lack of full Contacts search?
Wteague at verizon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russy View Post
Hi. I used to have the bold and when I searched key words which were in the notes section of a contact, it would find it. Now if I use search on the torch, it doesnt search the notes section.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
wteague

Model: torch

B_ohare
Did you find a solution?
Wteague at verizon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ohare View Post
I'm pretty ticked about this. I did a search the other day knowing that the information I was searching for was in the notes field of some contact, and nothing came up. As I tested some more, I figured out that search no longer searches text fields. It's unbelievably stupid to remove that feature. It's like going backwards.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
vrdave

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Fatal Flaw in BB Universal Search: Does not search notes in contacts - Bold 9900 OS7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took delivery of my beautiful new Blackberry Bold 9900 from T-Mobile. It is a great phone but it was a real pain to migrate my data from my old Curve 8900 - went up two tiers with Blackberry support.

That got solved but now the real disappointment is (like many others who have shared on this issue) that the Blackberry Universal Search that was released as part of the OS6 and the new OS7 does not include many datasets in its search. In contacts, it seems to only search the name fields.

Like many others, I have extensive notes and tags in the notes section of my BB contacts and without being able to search them, I'm kind of dead in the water. This is a positively bone-headed move by Blackberry, no doubt driven by the desire to speed up search.

I tried downloading the Google mobile search app and that also does include the notes section in its search though some of its documentation implies that it does.

Posts above refer to the 'Old Search - Old School Search,' app from QuiteSimple but that product does not show up in the BB App store if you're registered with a phone with OS7.

I emailed QuiteSimple today and got a prompt response:

>>Dear Vrdave,

We are working on the OS7.0 support. It will be ready probably at the end of September (2011).

Best regards,

QuiteSimple Support<<

If anyone has figured out a successful work-around, please let me know

Message to Blackberry: Put this mission critical feature back into search as part of your next update or risk losing customers at an even faster rate. I'm on the edge...
Closed Thread