Old 11-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Stonebriar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Why Is G-Mail Faster?

Please Login to Remove!

I am a Curve 8310 owner and have several e-mail accounts successfully set on my BIS device. I also have all POP accounts forwarded to my G-Mail account to allow me to receive e-mail in the field (pre my new BB era).

Question: Why does G-mail send all my e-mails forwarded to it, and those origniated from G-mail, much faster than all the other accounts? Yesterday, one POP account took several hours to reach me when G-mail had forwarded the same e-mail in record speed.

Thank you...
Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Most pop accounts are sent to the device at 15 minute intervals. GMail and Yahoo! are nearly instant. It's something GMail and Yahoo! have worked out with RIM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

I just use the Gmail app on my 8310.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

The gmail app works nicely, especially for viewing emails that arnt formatted well for the blackberry. But it will not alert you to new mail until you manually check it.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
ZenMonkey

Model: Curve

I just tested the forwarding through Gmail and it is blazing fast. Unfortunately it all ends up going to the Blackberry email folder. For example, let's say I have [email address] (I don't). I forward my email from there to [email address] and then it shows up on my BB in record speed.

Very cool, but it ends up in my Blackberry messages folder, not in my [email address] folder. And I like to have emails from my different accounts turn up in their respective folders since that tells me how important they are.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Rogers

The solution is all over the boards. Search and ye shall find!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
thomsbrain

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Gmail only polls each POP account every now and then. Sometimes, yes, it can be several hours between polling. Other times it seems to wait only a few minutes. At least on their regular HTTP site, you can manually force a POP check to any given account at any point, like if you know you have an email coming.

On the Blackberry application, I'm not sure if there is a way to force a check like that. You kind of just have to wait around, and when Gmail checks your account, it will download the message.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:10 AM   #8
Roo Zilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsbrain View Post
Gmail only polls each POP account every now and then. Sometimes, yes, it can be several hours between polling. Other times it seems to wait only a few minutes. At least on their regular HTTP site, you can manually force a POP check to any given account at any point, like if you know you have an email coming.

On the Blackberry application, I'm not sure if there is a way to force a check like that. You kind of just have to wait around, and when Gmail checks your account, it will download the message.
Instead of having gmail check your POP account, why not just forward a copy of all your emails to gmail from your POP account. That way, gmail receives it within seconds of your POP account and will push it to your BB, again, in seconds.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:27 AM   #9
ZenMonkey

nothing to see here...sorry...noob and all.

Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-26-2007 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: See body text.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 AM   #10
thomsbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
Instead of having gmail check your POP account, why not just forward a copy of all your emails to gmail from your POP account. That way, gmail receives it within seconds of your POP account and will push it to your BB, again, in seconds.
Well, for one, it only takes 30 seconds to set up a long list of accounts for POP access, and they can all be managed on one page. For another, it allows you to easily send from all of those accounts using the Gmail drop-down menu. Maybe you can do that with forwarding, I'm not sure. At any rate, POP access gets the job done for me just fine.

I realized though, that the OP's question had more to do with all Gmail-related emails compared to completely unrelated accounts. As for that, I can't comment. So sorry to threadjack.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
The MVPlaya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

because google is...google.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
taimur
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: mobilink

Google on IMAP inst so fast. It can take 10-15 min for emails forwarded to google to come thru.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #13
dreamerwc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

As john clark stated gmail and yahoo have a specific agreement with RIM to allow instant push. This instant push will work with only the POP settings on gmail. Since IMAP is new for gmail I am sure it will be a bit, if ever before we see instant push for that protocol.

Other emails like ISP accounts or even some corporate email accounts that you are only accessing through BIS will deliver at 15 min intervals, once the RIM server detects you have email on one of these accounts it will start checking ever 3 min for the next 3 attempts.

To give you an idea I have a gmail account and a business account that uses google apps for email. Well my gmail is instant. My business even though my POP server is the same gmail server (pop.gmail.com) I still have to wait the extra time for my business emails.

RIM is always looking for ways to improve the BIS experience to more of the BES, but as for now this is how life is.

www.belleviewclothing.com
Old 11-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
Roo Zilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerwc View Post
[SIZE=1]
To give you an idea I have a gmail account and a business account that uses google apps for email. Well my gmail is instant. My business even though my POP server is the same gmail server (pop.gmail.com) I still have to wait the extra time for my business emails.
That's strange. I get my google apps email immediately, just as fast as my normal gmail account. Yep, I just sent myself an email to both accounts and both arrived less than 1 second of each other. I believe this is the way it's supposed to be. BIS automatically detects if your email service is hosted by Google and does its thing accordingly.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
ChairmanKaga
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerwc View Post
once the RIM server detects you have email on one of these accounts it will start checking ever 3 min for the next 3 attempts.
Well, I just learned something. I check it and its true. Good to know.

It would still be nice, though, if it checked every 3 minutes (or less) all of the time.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #16
dreamerwc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
That's strange. I get my google apps email immediately, just as fast as my normal gmail account. Yep, I just sent myself an email to both accounts and both arrived less than 1 second of each other. I believe this is the way it's supposed to be. BIS automatically detects if your email service is hosted by Google and does its thing accordingly.
see i have tried mine numerous times and got the ~15 min delay... but that is fast enough for me... and since then my google apps account is running on IMAP, which i will say it is kind of nice not to get my sent e-mails as new emails on my curve. yes i know this can be done through filtering but kinda nice to just set it up via IMAP and not have to worry about double e-mails.

www.belleviewclothing.com
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
doppeljr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

GMail and Yahoo have a special Relay Service that they have developed with RIM that allows them to notify RIM when new messages arrive, as opposed to other POP services where RIM polls them periodically.

The GMAIL Relay only works with non-IMAP accounts. IMAP may perform slower as a result.
Closed Thread