Old 07-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
jwt0001
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: 3193046c
Carrier: Verizon
Question Not Receiving Any Messages Today

Please Login to Remove!

For some reason, I'm not receiving any emails today. I have mail from various email addresses, but nothing has come through since early this morning.

Is there something I should be checking? I don't think I changed anything. I have the 8830 from Verizon.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Check if you can send emails from blackberry. If not, you may be out of coverage or something happened with your device.

If removing battery does not help calling customer support is often the best second option.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
ChairmanKaga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: none
Carrier: AT&T

I have not received any emails for 24 hours though I know they are in the system. I assume there is some kind of system outage. It would be nice if RIM would advise of this so we aren't left wondering whats going on.

Edit: mine stopped incoming on Sunday morning 6/22 as well.

right on

Last edited by ChairmanKaga; 07-23-2007 at 06:01 AM..
Old 07-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
jwt0001

Model: 8830
PIN: 3193046c

Mine have started to come through again, but I'm not sure if things are back to normal.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
jonabyte
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Telus

it is not a system outage, I have been receiving mine just fine, it could be the carrier, or the device, or you are simply out of range. If there is an outage, you would have heard about it on the new/internet/radio, etc.
BTW, I am on telus, and have been receiving emails all weekend.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
ChairmanKaga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: none

The local AT&T customer service guy looked into it after his BB stopped receiving emails, and found that BB was having a server problem.

BB's customer service in this area is dismal. They do not notify you, or the general public, of service issues. You just stop receiving email, and then a couple of days later it starts back up. They could improve a lot in this area by using some mechanism for acknowledging these problems, whether via email or by posting on their website.

After AT&T knew nothing about the problem this morning, I called RIM. They make you get out your credit card before they'll talk to you, even though I am paying them for a service that I'm not receiving.

Service issues are unavoidable. Just keep me in the loop.

right on
Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
blackberrykyle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250

I wonder if this is across carriers. I'm having a ton of issues with my VZW berry today. The latest is I can't send email via verizon's smtp server.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
nimocone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I've had no problems with my emails today.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

FYI -

If there are actual problems at RIM you should be able to read about it in the next day's Wall Street Journal. That sort of outage would not go undetected.

Anecdotally, I've been told by Nextel and Cingular on different occasions that RIM was having "network problems" and to try again later. With the exception of RIM's North American NOC going down (this was reported in the WSJ), I have two problems with this:

1. I still had BBs om the same carrier working. I would have excepted a bigger blackout than just 1-2 devices here and there.

2. You can't confirm the "outage" with another rep at the same carrier, let alone at RIM. RIM never confirms these outages (except the last big one). So quite frankly I'm not convinced these outages actually exist - outside of the fanciful minds of these CS reps for the carrier!

We see this happen from time to time, especially with heavy travelers. Usually getting the user to pull his or her battery for 30 seconds followed by a cold boot fixes the unit and the email starts to flow.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Aroc--so true. I have had service all day and last night with both AT&T and TMo. No interruptions. There has not been a RIM server problem, more users than the Chairman here would be inquring.

Carrier CSRs use RIM as the excuse when they have no other useful answer, and they need to get on to their next call.

ChairmanKaga doesn't say, but if he'd pull his battery he'd likely be back in business (or as much as resend his service books).
Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

I noticed an interruption in emails coming to my device from GMail last night. They were in my GMail inbox but not going to my BB. When I woke up this morning they were all on my BB again.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #12
jonabyte
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post
The local AT&T customer service guy looked into it after his BB stopped receiving emails, and found that BB was having a server problem.

BB's customer service in this area is dismal. They do not notify you, or the general public, of service issues. You just stop receiving email, and then a couple of days later it starts back up. They could improve a lot in this area by using some mechanism for acknowledging these problems, whether via email or by posting on their website.

After AT&T knew nothing about the problem this morning, I called RIM. They make you get out your credit card before they'll talk to you, even though I am paying them for a service that I'm not receiving.

Service issues are unavoidable. Just keep me in the loop.

right on
The above is correct, you could have a particular server that is offline and create some issues with particular carriers in a particular region.

Also, RIM should have something in place, but do other carriers. Mine, Telus, doesn't have anything unless you call and speak with someone.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post
RIM has not had an outage for "a couple of days". The various carriers have had issues at times, and regionally, yes, they have. But don't confuse RIM with your carrier.

I'm not sure how RIM would notify me of a service outage. Let's see, they can't send me an email or PIN if the service is out. They can't call, they don't have my phone number (my carrier does).

Jonabyte, yes, RIM "could" have a particular server go offline. But that is not the case here. Besides, I don't even know if RIM has servers for a "particular region" as you say, maybe one more knowledgeable about this could comment.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
dkknght2

Model: 8703E
PIN: 32B7F9B7
Carrier: VERIZON
Default no e mail

I am not recieving messages for the last couple days but I cn send them. Seems odd but not sure how to fix it.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
abissa

Model: 8707
Carrier: Swisscom / Cingular AT&T

Well, RIM is having issues with they "relays" accross Europe today.
That's what my Swisscom reps told me not long ago.
Estimated downtime is 4-12 hours..
I don't have much info.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkknght2 View Post
I am not recieving messages for the last couple days but I cn send them. Seems odd but not sure how to fix it.
im on my second day with out emails on the BB I can send, but none come through on the BB.

I have pulled battery resent service books wiped reloaded OS (seperate Issue) but just wanted to say it for the record.

So could very well be a VZW issue.

SARCASIM: I guess we need to sue them since they advertise email services.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #17
shownonono

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

I am the IT tech for my company, we have a number of BBs on three different carriers. we can all send emails but they only seem to come in (in bulk) every 5 to 6 hours.

If there is no outage then we must be experiencing mass hallucinations. it's like college all over again
Old 07-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #18
w9ndb

PIN: Upon Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by shownonono View Post
I am the IT tech for my company, we have a number of BBs on three different carriers. we can all send emails but they only seem to come in (in bulk) every 5 to 6 hours.

If there is no outage then we must be experiencing mass hallucinations. it's like college all over again
I am having the exact same problem but with only one of my accounts. My gmail hosted account is working pretty well, but my work account (a secure imap server) is delivering on my BB only every 6 hours (almost to the minute). It's pretty annoying. I feel like a drug addict in withdrawal. My provider is ATT but I suspect the issue is with RIM or how my imap server is interacting with them. I see them connect in the logs but never get delivery of mail until the 6 hour mark.

nb

Last edited by w9ndb; 07-25-2007 at 03:40 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #19
rotophonic

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

I think this is an issue that is happening, no matter what your provider may be... at least here in Southern California. We have 3 different people with Blackberries and I'm only seeing the BIS server check mail every 4-6 hours. Sprint opened a ticket with RIM. We'll see how long it takes to get it resolved.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #20
shownonono

Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by w9ndb View Post
I am having the exact same problem but with only one of my accounts. My gmail hosted account is working pretty well, but my work account (a secure imap server) is delivering on my BB only every 6 hours (almost to the minute).

nb
Yup, same here. I seem to be getting gmail in real time, but work email (also a secure imap server) is still on the 6 hour lag.
Closed Thread