BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
h@x0r
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Angry Several annoyances and gripes - share yours, provide suggestions/resolutions

Please Login to Remove!

Hey there everyone. I got several annoyances (read: bugs or manufacturing flaws) and was wondering if someone knows anything about a fix.

1. Battery cover slips off too easy - latch barely holds the cover in place if phone turned upside down. I read some folks reported that there's a piece of foam under the latch that keeps it in place - mine does not have it and it kinda holds it, as long as I don't put any pressure on it. The moment pressure is applied, it slips right off. I guess anything short of a holster won't fix the issue. What I am wondering is if anyone knows of offical RIM recall or remediation they are planning to put in place.

2. Lousy software - when transferring stuff from BB to my PC, instead of folder called "Pictures", the Desktop Manager creates folder called "ictures" ??? UM????

3. When deleting messages on BB, chosing "Delete on mailbox and handset" dose not produce desired effect with Internet Mail. e.g. msg is deleted on handset but not in mailbox.

4. Enabling multi-tap covers signal bar indicator

5. Silly bug: Setting alarm 1 minute before or at actual time (well, the later one makes sense... sort of) results in a message: "Alarm time for today has past. (sic) The alarm will be set for <tomorrow's date>" So, setting alarm 1 minute before due time is not acceptable. I guess we can chalk it up to "user protection feature" (ignoring use of "past" instead of "passed")

6. Speaking of Alarm - not responding to it (such as hitting "Snooze") results in alarm not sounding again - so, it's equivalent of hitting "Dismiss". I guess BB developers figured if you didn't respond to alarm in the first place, alarm should not bother you anymore.

7. WHY DO I HAVE TO DISABLE FLASHING LED IN 10,000,000 DIFFERENT PLACES? Why can't I have a single place to say LED=OFF? And why after turning it off in 10,000,000 different places it still flashes when I get a voicemail? I DON'T WANT IT! PLEASE TURN IT OFF! Nope, no such luck. This one drives me crazy.

8. Why equip device with voice-activated features but not give it capability to record voice memos and meetings?

9. Why give device capability to surf the web but no capability to play back videos, MP3s, WMA, etc???? Why my Windows CE-carrying buddy can listen to internet radio and I can't? GRRRRRRRRRRR

10. How many months do I have left on my LCD window, considering I am wiping it off every time I use it - just to see the screen? I think I will have a hole in the plastic pretty soon from wiping it so frequently.

ugh. end of gripes for today. if anyone has any suggestions they wish to share - I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
chazm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t mobile

1) Get a rubberized or plastic case.

2)Haven't had that problem

3)It deletes my email on phone and computer.

4)I don't use multi tap

5)Does sound pointless

6)Did not know that

7)??????

8)Agreed

9)Plays videos and mp3's. You can download streaming radio but its not that great.

10)hmm....
Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
ChairmanKaga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: none
Carrier: AT&T

I am new the the 8100, but think its awesome. Not perfect, as nothing is (except ChairmanKaga ) but I have not encountered any basis for complaints. Your problem with the battery cover looseness is not unique, but a skin or case would resolve it. I agree you shouldn't have to, though. As for the greasiness on the screen, well, you figure out where thats coming from. The other complaints will have to be addressed by someone smarter than me.

Hope it works out for you!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
takiraj

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

1. I haven't had any issues with the battery cover and I think it fits fine. A case would simply fix that issue.

2. I don't do much Pearl to PC transferring (mainly PC to Pearl). The only thing I can think of is pictures taken w/ the Pearl, haven't encountered any problems at all when transferring pics.

3. I don't use email on the Pearl.

4. True, but I use SureType all the time and barely multitap, if at all.

5. I also noticed that you cannot set the alarm one minute ahead. This should be a simple fix w/ an OS upgrade but I don't think BB has had enough complaints about it.

6. Also true, this alarm issue does suck if you don't hear it the first time. This should also be fixed w/ a simple OS upgrade.

7. I actually like the red light indicator and it can be very helpful. If I don't hear a message come in, the red indicator will usually catch my eye.

8. Good point. I never used voice recording even on my old phone so I could care less.

9. Who needs internet radio when you got an MP3 player.

10. As for the screen.. every phone has this problem and its due to the greasy face of the user.

Overall I just think you're too picky. Maybe the Pearl just isn't for you, you just gave yourself 10 reasons to buy a different phone.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

@h@X0r

RE #1: mine has a piece of rubber on the battery lid (as do other phones I have). This one is about 3/8" square, between 1/16" and 1/8" thick, and is centered on the cover with the outermost edge of the rubber about 3/4" from the end of the cover *away* from the camera hole. It is a soft, impressionable squishy material (as opposed to like hockey puck vulcanized rubber) that reminds me of that thick double-sided soft-tape you find at some hardware stores.

My battery lid has no problem staying attached, which makes sense since this rubber spacer is close to the lid-latch itself and probably applies outward force (in the physics sense) that's missing on yours. Try and find something and hook yours up - eyeglasses 'earpads' or 'nosepads' might be good, it feels like that material as well.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
nelaphi

Model: 8100c

Quote:
Originally Posted by takiraj

Overall I just think you're too picky. Maybe the Pearl just isn't for you, you just gave yourself 10 reasons to buy a different phone.

Or maybe you need to develop your OWN perfect phone...
Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
kasperapd

Model: 9700

This sounds more like a Rants and Raves type thread.

Please try a Search
Old 01-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
Krazilyinlove712

Carrier: tmobile

I only have 2 complaints:
My phone at times takes a while to load the pictures...i view the hourglass for about 3 minutes. Which is kind of frustrating.

And when using the BB Messenger with my SO it keeps flashing red as if i have an unread message. Which i don't.

Other than that...it's the best phone i've had.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
nigletsyz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

haha.. love your username. Made me laugh
Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@x0r
3. When deleting messages on BB, chosing "Delete on mailbox and handset" dose not produce desired effect with Internet Mail. e.g. msg is deleted on handset but not in mailbox.
Works perfectly with my Gmail. Perhaps you should consider forwarding your mail to a different client.

Quote:
6. Speaking of Alarm - not responding to it (such as hitting "Snooze") results in alarm not sounding again - so, it's equivalent of hitting "Dismiss". I guess BB developers figured if you didn't respond to alarm in the first place, alarm should not bother you anymore.
This is the one item on your list that truly bugs me. If I'm awake enough to hit "snooze," I'm awake enough to get out of bed; when I really need it to keep going off is when I'm not that awake yet. I ended up just choosing the loudest and most obnoxious alarm noise I could find.

Quote:
8. Why equip device with voice-activated features but not give it capability to record voice memos and meetings?
Go sign up for the voice recorder beta test (I think the thread is in the third-party forum). I'm recording voice memos just fine with it.

Quote:
9. Why give device capability to surf the web but no capability to play back videos, MP3s, WMA, etc???? Why my Windows CE-carrying buddy can listen to internet radio and I can't? GRRRRRRRRRRR
Give it 6 months. The technology's already there, if you want to pay for it (e.g. QuickPlayer). At this point, access to the free stuff is just a matter of enough consumers buying a Pearl and saying, "Hey, I want this!" Remember how new this device still is.

Quote:
10. How many months do I have left on my LCD window, considering I am wiping it off every time I use it - just to see the screen? I think I will have a hole in the plastic pretty soon from wiping it so frequently.
This is one of those "How would you do it differently if you were the engineer?" issues.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:36 AM   #11
angel36

Why the hell doesn't my "Delete on mailbox and handset" work with my GMail? :'(
Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Cause it won't sync mail.

Ask nicely next time?