BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #21
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

It isn't difficult; however, it is an inconvience. The issue seems to be that people are forking over their hard earned money for this new device. They don't want to have to go through this hassle.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #22
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6
Carrier: AT&T

I had one with dust but the replacement was fine and has been for a while.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #23
projectorkid
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone

i have 2 blackberry 8300's on separate accts+BES, dust is a disaster, have had both replaced twice. however the keyboard is so much better than the 8800 where the keys are "connected'.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #24
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have had a 7130 its scratched dust under the screen but works just fine some people worry about too small of things
Old 09-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #25
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: Mont Blanc

Greg, I found a quote from you in the "Oh No! Dust......Part 2" thread that appears to be before you found dust on your (first) Curve:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I remember the dust thing with the 8700 and ti was my 3rd unit before I got one that was dust resistant. Due to this I have looked very closely at all of my Blackberry units after the 8700.

I have not seen a speck of dust under wither my 8800 or 8300. I have had my 8300 from the day it was introduced and no dust here.

There are people here that have been thru several 8300 looking for the "perfect" 8300 and I would think they would have spotted even the smallest particle. You can bet they will be looking closely after reading this!
I thought it was funny...although I do suffer from the dust issue myself.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 09-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #26
GoFrogs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&Tingular

Greg, I know you will surely think we are bs-ing you, but I really have no dust under my screen. I was so disappointed when my 8700 had dust. Then I really was bummed that every 8800 I got had squeeky sides (and many posters said theirs was solid). I put the Curve in my very linty pocket every day and in shorts when playing golf -- no dust. But I got worried when you said turn off and take outside. I did it just so I could sleep at night and low and behold -- NO DUST. That is almost 3 months worth of use, beach, golf, etc...

I agree that I wish the keyboard didn't float but that is a nit compared to the form and function I get. I just wanted you to know that at least this Curve doesn't have that problem. I will count my blessings but don't begrudge you going back to the 8800, I would be sick of changing devices. How did I get a lucky one? I couldn't tell you as I'm always the one that get the lemon when it comes to gadgets.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #27
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

C'mon, let's add some ad misericordiam arguments for Greg. Maybe a bit of ad logicam, perhaps? Or the interesting ad ignorantiam? Nah, just a bunch of ad nauseam, that'll learn em'.

I'm sure the public will agree. ad populum?

-sorry, slow day.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #28
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Off with all our heads!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #29
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Off with all our heads!
OK, who is first?

Everyone has got to forgive me as the dust thing is not that big of a deal but it kinda ruins it for some. I was hoping that later 8300 units would have been fixed and the dust problen taken care of in newer units but it does not look like it.

Heck many here remember the 8700 dust problem and the later units were fixed. Looks like they have just not fixed the 8300 as of yet. Like I said there are units out there with no dust, I just did not get one and I am not trying again.

I called my local AT&T and they said they would exchange for new or refund my money as it was purchased only 12 days ago. The guy says they have seen alot come back for dust.

Last edited by greggebhardt; 09-06-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #30
mortys11

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

greg,

i agree this dust is a pain in the a** for sure!

i got a ton of dust on the right side of my 8300 too!

i need a t5 screw driver to open it up, clean it and try to seal the gap with chewing gum or something.

i had this on my 8700 and 8800 too but not so bad.

everything else is good on it so i dont want to take it back cause loose sides would bother me more.

my wife's 8300 has no dust but has a loose side, she uses the holster and stores it in her purse.

i dont use a holster and always have it in my pant or shirt pocket so i think that is the reason...not acceptable but thats how it is.

HEY RIM, SEAL THESE F****** things up ALREADY!

i am almost ready to take an 8GB iphone for a spin

Last edited by mortys11; 09-06-2007 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: add text
Old 09-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #31
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Heck many here remember the 8700 dust problem and the later units were fixed.
Yep! Those were the good ol' days, the 8700 dust problems.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #32
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Yep! Those were the good ol' days, the 8700 dust problems.
Oh well times are good now, too!

Even if my cat still wants to KILL his cat! <vbg>
Old 09-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #33
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I would not so much mind a good ol' cat fight around here, it's just that, well, not with cats!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #34
matthiasj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 2164B714

i agree in a way that the curve build quality is lacking. I'm not complaing, i love my curve, but the whole keyboard does move, the right side of my screen has an insane amount of dust under it after only a couple months of very careful use (mine is always sitting out, never in a pocket.) Mine rebooted randomly twice last night although it was the first time its ever done that.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #35
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

I will cause not problems here! I like it here to much.

I have seen people and their posts vanish into thin air

Nots me, I wills ba goode! <vbg>

Last edited by greggebhardt; 09-06-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #36
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220

no dust here... dont know what those little lint hairs are doing there. also little specks... but no dust

JK

no dust at all
Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #37
gusberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: at&t

Had my Pearl for 8 months with no dust problems. Got a new Curve 2 days ago! I hope I wont have any issues. I was just wondering if anyone with a dust problem is a smoker. Being an ex-smoker, I know that smoke, no matter how careful I was, would get everywhere.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #38
muck

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

ive just received my 8310.. and the build quality is identical to my 8300.
right side fits together exactly the same.

both are made in hungary
Old 09-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #39
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Dust would drive me straight up a tree! I'm one of the fortunate users that seems to have gotten a Curve that's sealed up tight. I don't blame you at all because I'd be a basket case. It seems like the units prone to dust under the screen come in bunches. Bad quallity control from the factory on an entire production lot? Could be.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #40
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

My Curve STILL has no dust, despite my best efforts to stow it in dusty, linty pockets, in the cup holder in my car (and when you have kids then you *know* the cup holders will have all *sorts* of stuff in them, including dust, paper scraps, crayons melted from being in the sun, bits of old Wendy's french fries, etc), in a jacket pocket (linty), in my backpack (sometimes linty), on the rug (when I'm too tired to get up off the floor to watch TV) and on my blanket (when I fall asleep when browsing the web on the BB browser).

No dust, and I've pounded the stuffing out of this 8300 for months.

I believe that the folks who report dust problems with 83xx's do, in fact, have these problems. But I also know from personal experience, and other posts here, that the dust problem is not, by any means, universal.

Ergo there IS variability in the way these buggers are assembled. Following a bit of logic, this tells us a few things:

1) I might be lying, and all the other people who claim to not have dust problems might also be lying.

2) I might be telling the truth (and I believe that I am), and some portion (from 1 to all) of the other folks out there who report no dust problems might also be telling the truth.

3) The Dust People might have hallucinated and imagined the entire Dust Issue (although I doubt that) -- or it may be another case for the next edition of "Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds". But...I suspect it's more likely that some people are, indeed, having dust intrusion problems with their Curves.

4) Where I'm really trying to go with this (which is difficult, owing to my exhaustion right about now) is that, for the benefit of the folks who have HAD dust problems with one or more Curves, it is NOT a given that the next one you try will also have a dust problem. (whew!)

BTW: My cats won't fight your cats OR dogs. One of my cats has become, essentially, a 15 lb black furry meatloaf, spending 90% of each day asleep, and other is a totally schized out cream colored tabby who grew up feral, and generally avoids having anything else that's alive touch it. So...all your cats and dogs are safe (and all your base are belong to us). But - if we're having a contest, then I'm pretty confident that My Cat can freak out in a paranoid fashion better than yours can!!! (nyah nyah).
Closed Thread