Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
jwilliams31
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Verizon
Default DST Patch and Handheld Resets

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to wirelessly deploy the DST patch to our handhelds and I'd like to keep it as transparent as possible to the users. I've set up the software config and it appears to be working, at least it worked on my device. The only problem though is that it requires the device to be reset. Is there a way to remotely reset devices or better yet schedule a reset? I don't want to have to send emails out to all the users asking them to reset their devices...that's just asking for trouble...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

The patch automatically prompts the user to perform a reset. See screen capture provide by RacerGregg at http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...vice-us-4.html

On devices that do not need the DST patch users will not be prompted to reset.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
jwilliams31

Model: 7290

That's strange then. I tried pushing out the Patch Manager to my 7250. Based on the software version on my device, I should need the patch. Under Options, I have a listing for "2007 DST Patch".

If I select that, I get a message "2007 DST patch is installed. You need to reset your device. Please select 'Reset Device' from the menu."

I did not actually get prompted to reset. If I wasn't looking for this, I wouldn't have seen it. I really don't want to have to send out emails telling everyone to manually go to this section and reset...

Did I miss something?

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
x14

Maybe you didn't give it enough time to prompt you.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
gene1138

Model: 8310
Carrier: Cingular

I've seen a user or 2 of mine miss the message. It seems the message will dissapper after a short time. After our 1st batch of devices using the query tool from RIM we see a lot of the devices sitting at "Awaiting Patch" Though we have a few people that their device says patch applied but the query tool still says "Awaiting Patch". Go figure.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
x14

According to RIM KB12258 the user will be prompted every hour and it will reset automatically after the 4th prompt.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
zzc5tk

Model: 7100T
Carrier: rogers

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I placed a call with Rogers tech support, and they had the following to say about error/HTML codes

In the DST2007Query output you get the following error codes:

0x88 - RIM website was busy; patch is on OK
0x83 - Could be various isssues; but for us was a user that answered NO to reset prompt of patch
0x87 - Device power was low, so the wireless shut off and hence the blackberry browser (internet) would not function
0x41 - Could be various isssues; for us, user affected by this was out of coverage area; once back in he got the update

In the DST2007Query output you get the following HTTP codes:

0 - everything is ok
200 - manually check the device; does not mean that the patch was successfull
500 - Server is busy; rescan device for update in BES mgmnt console

We are running 8700's with BB version 4.1.0.206, 4.1.0.284, and 4.1.0.351. The x.x.x.351's updated silently, with no user intervention; whereas the others all required the user to manually select the reset option.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Go figure. The 200 HTTP code was said by RIM to mean that it was applied successfully.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
thomas.fischer

Carrier: Vodafone Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene1138
I've seen a user or 2 of mine miss the message. It seems the message will dissapper after a short time. After our 1st batch of devices using the query tool from RIM we see a lot of the devices sitting at "Awaiting Patch" Though we have a few people that their device says patch applied but the query tool still says "Awaiting Patch". Go figure.
Hi,

We´ve got the same problem. The patch was installed succesfully on the device but the DST2007Query still say "Awaiting patch".
Have anybody figured out what the problem is why the database isn´t up-to-date ?

Thank you and kind regards,

Thomas
Old 02-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
gene1138

Carrier: Cingular

I haven't found a solution yet to the "Awaiting Patch" problem. But from what I've read so far the patch only sends out 1 notification that the update was successful. If that notification gets lost then you will never see that the device has been updated. Anyone else concur?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
thomas.fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene1138
I haven't found a solution yet to the "Awaiting Patch" problem. But from what I've read so far the patch only sends out 1 notification that the update was successful. If that notification gets lost then you will never see that the device has been updated. Anyone else concur?
Puhh, that´s not fine. If it´s really that, i see no chance to check 500 devices manually if the patch is installed or not.

What does others mean ?

Thanks and Cheers,

Thomas
Old 02-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
mrc7928
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250

I worked with RIM yesterday and they had me select all the users in BlackBerry Manager, and "clear pim sync backup data." Once I did that, I waited about 2 hours and ran the query. The results were much more accurate when compared to the previous time. This seems to fix the issue with the inaccurate query. BTW, I'm running BES 4.0.6 for GW so I'm not sure if Exchange and Lotus will have the same option or not. Worth a try to those of you pulling your hair trying to figure out if the devices updated or not.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
x14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc7928
I worked with RIM yesterday and they had me select all the users in BlackBerry Manager, and "clear pim sync backup data." Once I did that, I waited about 2 hours and ran the query. The results were much more accurate when compared to the previous time. This seems to fix the issue with the inaccurate query. BTW, I'm running BES 4.0.6 for GW so I'm not sure if Exchange and Lotus will have the same option or not. Worth a try to those of you pulling your hair trying to figure out if the devices updated or not.
Trying that now. Worth a shot, already tried everything else.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
doni

Model: 8830

Tried, didn't help. The query tool still claims "Awaiting patch" for devices whose 2007 DST Patch states it was applied. BES 4.1.1, Exchange 2003 SP2 w DST patches.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #15
mrc7928
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250

RIM told me I should wait overnight to run the query again. I ran it 2 hours later and it seemed to have updated. They said it could take some time for the backup information to be cleared. Maybe try again tomorrow morning and see if it's any better.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #16
thomas.fischer

Just thinking about the suggestion of "Clean PIM sync backup data".

What impact does this action got ?
Will the server and the handhelds rebuild the pim sync backup automatic and when yes isn´t it a huge performance problem to to this action with 450 users ?

Thanks and Cheers,

Thomas
Old 02-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
pej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I had the same thought -- the docs say this (Admin Guide, page 80):
Quote:
Managing the wireless backup and restore of organizer data
Automatic wireless backup is designed to back up user account settings and data from the BlackBerry device to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server automatically, without user involvement. Wireless backup on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server enables you to synchronize organizer data to new BlackBerry devices without impacting the performance of the messaging server. See “Appendix: Wireless backup and restore” on page 141 for more information.

If the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is not writing a user’s organizer data from the BlackBerry device to the BlackBerry Configuration Database correctly, the existing backed up organizer data on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server might be corrupt. Delete the organizer data from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Deleting the organizer data forces the user’s BlackBerry device to synchronize with the BlackBerry Enterprise Server over the wireless network.
So everything is recreated by the system. No idea how much impact this would have -- maybe do it a 100 users at time?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #18
doni

Interesting. I notice I was receiving odd errors from BSS about not being able to sync the backup data, so perhaps there is a connection? Query is still showing the wrong info, but I suppose I'll check back in the AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #19
hillrp

Default Risky Approach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc7928

This is a well known problem, and seems to affect a high percentage of 7250 devices. However, ~98% of my 8703e BlackBerry devices reported (DST Query Tool) an Applied status within 10 minutes of the push. You run the risk of not being able to wirelessly restore a BlackBerry for a period of time if the backup data is cleared. I have been working with the RIM escalation team and they don't recommend this approach. They are feverishly working on a method of triggering the BlackBerry to send in the information to the server, and they hope to have it out by the end of the week. They were surprised to hear that a RIM rep was suggesting the PIM/Backup Clear method.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:54 AM   #20
thomas.fischer

Hi,
I´ve tested the "Clean PIM Sync Backup Data" with one of my users where the Query Tool reports me a "Awaiting Patch" and the handheld says "Patch applied".
After one night i run the Query Tool again and it shows me now "Patch applied".

So what´s the best solution to run the cleaning process with the users where the query respond an "Awaiting Patch" or better wait for any news from RIM ?

- Thomas
Closed Thread