Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
drskinner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Unlocking PIN on BB Bold 9000 on Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

I have not seen this discussed anywhere so thought I'd post here. I have read that for data to work with another provider, your current providers MUST release the PIN.

I have a BB Bold 9000 currently locked to Rogers. I would like to use my BB with a provider called Digicel in the Caribbean when I'm down there for school. I've phoned both Rogers Customer Service and BB Tech Support a bunch of times about this trying to get to someone who may know but both departments have told me that they will not release any codes.

I have a third party that will unlock my BB and tells me it will work but I am sceptical and think they will only be able to unlock the SIM (voice portion) of my BB. This third party has said he has unlocked Fido to work with Rogers, T-Mobile to work with Rogers, Fido to work with AT&T, etc....

Does anyone know the true answers to the following:

a) unlocking the phone's SIM will actually allow BB services to work (BBM, email, internet)?
b) there is a way to have Rogers release the PIN codes
Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You can call Rogers if you've been a customer in good standing for a period of time, usually 6 months or so. They should provide it for free. If you can't get it from Rogers you can buy it from HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center ß Lots of folks have used them with great results. They guarantee to find your code or refund your money. I've used them several times and they're the best.

You won't get BB data on a pre-paid SIM. Only voice and SMS. The way to get your data is to have Rogers activate international data, and it's not cheap.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
defazjo1

Model: 8800
Carrier: telus

hi there.
just unlocked a rogers bold 9000 to work with Telus.
once you unlock the phone and put in the new SIM, every thing will work, data and voice
"depending on your new carrier" you can call them and ask them if they support your IMEI #. if they don't then you can not use the phone at all.

a) unlocking the phone's SIM will actually allow BB services to work (BBM, email, internet)? YOU DO NOT UNLOCK THE SIM, YOU UNLOCK THE DEVICE. AND YES ALL SERVICES WILL WORK.
b) there is a way to have Rogers release the PIN codes: I DON'T THINK THERE IS A NEED FOR THIS, IT MIGHT BE ONLY USED FOR SOFTWARE UPDATE.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Rogers will not provide unlocking codes to their customers, its something the company does not support, as well as it voids the warranty.

Canadian carriers do not typically do this, your best bet is Horizon Wireless, they have a good reputation
Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
drskinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
You won't get BB data on a pre-paid SIM. Only voice and SMS. The way to get your data is to have Rogers activate international data, and it's not cheap.
Quote:
a) unlocking the phone's SIM will actually allow BB services to work (BBM, email, internet)? YOU DO NOT UNLOCK THE SIM, YOU UNLOCK THE DEVICE. AND YES ALL SERVICES WILL WORK.
b) there is a way to have Rogers release the PIN codes: I DON'T THINK THERE IS A NEED FOR THIS, IT MIGHT BE ONLY USED FOR SOFTWARE UPDATE.
So which one is it ? I've been getting these OPPOSITE answers since I started looking into doing this !!

Last edited by drskinner; 12-04-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Once unlocked, you need a BlackBerry data plan with the carrier you're using to get data. If you have the BlackBerry data plan then it works. Unfortunately, no pre-paid carriers outside of Orange UK offer BlackBerry data plans.

So your unlocked BlackBerry is ready to go, but finding the service to make it work is the stumbling block.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
drskinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
Rogers will not provide unlocking codes to their customers, its something the company does not support, as well as it voids the warranty.

Canadian carriers do not typically do this, your best bet is Horizon Wireless, they have a good reputation
Horizon Wireless cannot do it. They said only Rogers can do it and to phone Data department.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Noodle22

Just as Rambo said, it sounds like if your planning to unlock it, your going to use it on a network in a different country. Then you would just need to be sure that carrier in that country will be able to provide you the bb data plan you need. The "stumbling block" part of it.

The top quote about international data just refers to roaming, meaning your a Rogers customer using your phone in that country with your Rogers services. You would add a roaming data package on, and from my knowledge there are none for the Carribean at this time.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
drskinner

Quote:
Once unlocked, you need a BlackBerry data plan with the carrier you're using to get data. If you have the BlackBerry data plan then it works. Unfortunately, no pre-paid carriers outside of Orange UK offer BlackBerry data plans.

So your unlocked BlackBerry is ready to go, but finding the service to make it work is the stumbling block.
This is for Grenada in the Caribbean. They have a company called Digicel down there which offers BB data services. BUT i want to make sure my BB will work.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Noodle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drskinner View Post
Horizon Wireless cannot do it. They said only Rogers can do it and to phone Data department.

I'm going to be honest with you, I don't see you getting any unlocking codes from Rogers.

Edit: I know for a fact that customer care will NOT be able to do it for you. You could try tier 2 technical support, but I see that being a dead end as well.

You won't be sure it will work unless you contact that carrier with your device IMEI information to be sure they can set up the account for you.

Last edited by Noodle22; 12-04-2009 at 10:54 PM..
Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

If you get a BlackBerry data plan from Digicel, and if your BB is unlocked, you will get all your BlackBerry data. Email, BBM, web, all of it.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
drskinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
Just as Rambo said, it sounds like if your planning to unlock it, your going to use it on a network in a different country. Then you would just need to be sure that carrier in that country will be able to provide you the bb data plan you need. The "stumbling block" part of it.

The top quote about international data just refers to roaming, meaning your a Rogers customer using your phone in that country with your Rogers services. You would add a roaming data package on, and from my knowledge there are none for the Carribean at this time.
There are but I'm not interested in that. I'll have the phone unlocked which will allow me to put in a local carrier's SIM card for Voice/SMS with local charges in Grenada. The concern that I've heard from other students is that for BB service (BB messenger, email, internet), it won't work !
Old 12-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
drskinner

Quote:
If you get a BlackBerry data plan from Digicel, and if your BB is unlocked, you will get all your BlackBerry data. Email, BBM, web, all of it.
Do you know this for a fact? Know someone down there doing this or just speculating from other North American providers?
Old 12-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #14
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

It's a fact. An unlocked BlackBerry will work with any provider that supports it. If they have BlackBerry data plans (not generic plans - they won't help) then you can get email/internet/BB Messenger once you have one of those plans on your account. One of the cool things about BlackBerrys is that their very much carrier-agnostic. You can load the OS from AT&T onto a T-Mobile BlackBerry with no problems.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #15
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Everyone, please listen to rambo47, and no one else in this thread. The man speaks the truth and provides no misinformation.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 AM   #16
drskinner

Quote:
It's a fact. An unlocked BlackBerry will work with any provider that supports it. If they have BlackBerry data plans (not generic plans - they won't help) then you can get email/internet/BB Messenger once you have one of those plans on your account. One of the cool things about BlackBerrys is that their very much carrier-agnostic. You can load the OS from AT&T onto a T-Mobile BlackBerry with no problems.
Thanks Rambo! A secondary question.... I'll try to phrase it as accurately as possible:

As mentioned, I currently have BIS registered with Rogers. When I move to the Caribbean, to keep BB services enabled, am I required to keep BIS with Rogers (while possibly de-activating voice and other features to reduce costs)?

If I were to have to do this, I'd be paying CAN $15/month (currently I just use the unlimited emails plan) with Rogers plus the monthly cost of Data & Voice for a plan in the Caribbean. However, if I didn't have to keep BIS with Rogers, I could save the $15/month.

Rambo: Are you familiar with Digicel? By generic plan do you mean simple Voice & SMS plan?

Last edited by drskinner; 12-05-2009 at 02:57 AM..
Old 12-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
Noodle22

You can't have the 15 email pack without a voice plan (you need to have a plan for the feature to sit onto, it would be difficult to do this), you would need to cancel the account completely or put it on the lowest plan possible and then sign up with the Carribean provider of your choice.

If your using your Rogers plan down there, like we said, you'll need a roaming package which Rogers doesn't currently offer for the Carribean. Your best bet is to unlock the device, cancel the account, and sign up with Digicel, pending they have the services you need.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #18
drskinner

That doesn't answer my question:

1. Do I have to keep BIS active with Rogers for my BB services to work in the Caribbean? I ask this b/c I cannot get the PIN released which is associated with the Rogers BB... I know that Digicel does offer BB service in the Carib...

2. If I were to sell my plan to someone before I leave (to save on the Rogers contract buyout cost), would that person be able to use their own BB (either a Rogers BB or an unlocked one)?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

2. You *should* be able to do a Transfer of Liability with your current plan and the new owner could activate his BlackBerry to use it. Every carrier handles TOL issues differently, so calling Rogers is the best way to get the skinny on that.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
drskinner

Ok guys; thanks for all your help so far, you've been very helpful. Seems like I'm the first Canadian coming from Rogers using a BB in the Caribbean as I haven't found anyone who knows how to do this thus far.
Closed Thread