BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
amir4u
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: donno
Default FOr Black Berry Administration Service HIgh Availability how can we configure DNS Ro

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have following topology for Black Berry 5.0.1

BES 5.0.1 Primary
BES 5.0.1 Standby
BAS Primary and BAS Standby (trying to install and am stuck)

I am stuck while installing BAS standby as it is giving the following message during installation wizard and where it reaches "Administration Settings" and "High Availability of the Black Berry Administration Service":

"when you install more then one instance in the black berry service pool, you must change the black berry service pool name to the FQDN of the DNS record that you created for the black berry administration service pool. You cannot use the FQDN of the first instance in the Black Berry Administration service pool."

How can I configure DNS round robin for this?

What is "FQDN of the DNS Record created for the BAS Service Pool" ?

Please help ....

Regards.
Amir.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
amir4u
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: FOr Black Berry Administration Service HIgh Availability how can we configure DN

Create the DNS record for a BlackBerry Administration Service instance or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instance

To configure multiple BlackBerry® Administration Service instances or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instances for high availability using DNS round robin, you must create a DNS record. The DNS record permits the clients of the BlackBerry Administration Service pool or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service pool to access the instances using a single DNS name. You must create the DNS record in the same domain as the computers that host the BlackBerry Administration Service instances or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instances.

Before you begin:

You must configure a static IP address for each computer that you want to install a BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instance or BlackBerry Administration Service instance on.

You must have permission to manage the DNS.
If you configure DNS round robin, you must configure clients to resolve the DNS name into a list of IP addresses and distribute traffic equally across the BlackBerry Administration Service or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instances in the pool.

In the DNS management console, access the forward lookup zone that you want to add the BlackBerry Administration Service instance or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instance to.

To create a new host, type the following information:

In the Name field, type the name of the BlackBerry Administration Service pool or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service pool that you want to use.
In the IP Address1 field, type the IP address of the computer that you want to host a BlackBerry Administration Service instance or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instance on.

Select the Create associated pointer (PTR) record check box.
Repeat step 3 for each BlackBerry Administration Service instance or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instance that you want to install. When you add entries to the same pool, you must use the same pool name for all BlackBerry Administration Service instances or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instances.

After you finish: To remove a BlackBerry Administration Service instance or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instance from a pool, delete the entry for the IP address of the BlackBerry Administration Service instance or BlackBerry MDS Integration Service instance from the DNS server.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom
Default Re: FOr Black Berry Administration Service HIgh Availability how can we configure DN

For BAS there is no "Primary" and "Standby". Both instances are constantly running and both are "Active" all the time.

In essence you have to create two "A Records" with the same name but different IP addresses.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
amir4u
Thumbs Must Hurt

THanx freakinvibe

but i have already ran the setup and just given the hostname of the first BAS server in the poolname and it accepted it as a pool name.

For the DNS round robin configuration you mean to add A record for BAS and it should be something like this?

BESPool.MyDomain.local IP of BAS Server 01
BESPool.MyDomain.local IP of BAS Server 02

Since I already did the installation and a pool name (hostname of BAS Server 01) has become pool name for now would I be able to simply change the poolname on both BAS Servers by going to:

start > All Programs > BlackBerrry Enterprise Server > BlackBerry Server Configurations

Will it easily change the poolname on both and will there be a sync time involved? or a manual sync would accept it at once?

thanx in advance ....
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Ideally you'd do that ahead of time. But yes, you can do it there too. I am thinking if setting up brand new domain do your homework ahead of time as I am not huge beleiver in changing seetings on the fly with web based apps. Lots of BES/BAS configurations is doable after but I prefer other way if I have a chance.

You are right about how to setup dns round robin A records.
Closed Thread