BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
cellmembrane

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default HELP-Otterbox Problems with Blackberry 8900!

Please Login to Remove!

So I just bought an otterbox defender case for my 8900 and I'm having some problems (I love the case though, it looks great and is really reliable!):

1-it's messing with my keypad!! I text a lot, and ever since I got the case, I noticed that for a lot of the words (if not all), I have to press some buttons twice for the letter to actually be typed/appear...also, my alt button is messed up-before I would be able to hold it down and type something (like "...." or "???") but now I have to press the alt button each time before I type something (alt ? alt ? alt ?). What's going on?

2-when I turn off my phone, I have great difficulty turning it back on.

Note-I have never used/am not using the keypad protector that came with the case.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how I can fix it????

Edit: just found the culprit-it has to do with my right convenience key (camera), I think it's being squashed by the rubber case because when I slip that part off, my alt button/keypad works fine and I can turn my phone on/off with ease, but it all gets messed up again when I put it on again. How should I go about fixing this? Thanks.

Last edited by cellmembrane; 01-22-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have an OtterBox Commuter case for my 9700. I discovered that the case creates a little bit of a ridge around the otside of the keypad. So...the furthest outside keys (Q, A, alt on the left and P, Delete and Return on the right) require a little bit of a change in angle when pressing them.

Not sure if this cures your issue or not, but thought I would share...
Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
cellmembrane

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
I have an OtterBox Commuter case for my 9700. I discovered that the case creates a little bit of a ridge around the otside of the keypad. So...the furthest outside keys (Q, A, alt on the left and P, Delete and Return on the right) require a little bit of a change in angle when pressing them.

Not sure if this cures your issue or not, but thought I would share...
Hey, this was an issue with all of the keys on the keypad but I have found a solution.

So basically, the problem was that the right convenient key (camera) was being squashed by a small structure pressing on it inside the rubber case. All I did was take off the case, slice of that little rubber piece that was pressing over the camera key on the inside (don't cut it off completely-that will make a hold in the case. Just trim it/make it as thin as possible by slicing it the long way) and put it back on and voila, no more keypad problems, my alt button is free again and I can turn my phone off and on with ease. Hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

Now, how to fix that damn low battery...

Last edited by cellmembrane; 01-23-2010 at 01:49 AM..
Closed Thread