BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
rbsti
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default I go head on with Cingular on the Dust Problem

Please Login to Remove!

I'm not one for long babbling posts so I'll keep it short and sweet. As the other thread on this topic has shown many of us are having problems with dust under the screen on our new 8700c's. I went to my local Cingular store to get another but since I returned a HP 6515 for the Blackberry they told me I should go to warranty dept at Cingular. After 45 minutes on the phone and a heated exchange with a customer service rep who would not give me her supervisor and who had accused me of water damaging the phone I had her switch me over to blackberry. After navigating there voice mail menu I finally got a helpful chap who was concerned with the dust and said he would call cingular and tell them to take the phone back.
Another 45 min of back and forth with warranty returns and low and behold they dont have one to send me. They call the store and tell them to give me one but they refuse. Why they would refuse when they are being compensated for it is beyond me. After more apoligies and another 30 minutes she decides to have her manager call around some other local stores and says she will call me back.
30 minuts later she calls me back and gives me the good news that a local store that will be getting a shipment thursday will do the exchange. I warn her that alot of people are complaining about this so get ready.
I call the other local store to make sure we are on the same page and I get a rude assistant manager who says they will give me the phone if its what I say it is and not some other type of damage, I ask him why he would say that since he has already been givin the authorization? He basically tells me that maybe I'm full of sh*t and he wants to see it. Ok I say I'll see you thursday and if the phone has dust in it you can give me a new one and shove this one up your arse.

I'm not spending 400 bucks on a phone that has dust specs all over it a week after I get it, and then have to get abused to boot. I hope msft gets there act together with the palm 700 and push email soon.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
eros18

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Can't say that I blame you for going through all that. I have about 3 weeks left on my 30day trial to see what I should do. If I have any dust issues I will be returning the unit. There is a push e-mail alternative to the BES systems. It is called Good Link but I think its only available to mid-large companies through Cingular. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. My company currently utilizes this system for users who prefer the Treo 650.

http://www.cingular.com/midtolarge/good

http://www.good.com/index.php/products_palmos.html
Old 12-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
rbsti

Good Link is not cost effective for individual users. When the new service pack for Windows Mobile 5 comes out push email will be free aside from having a data plan.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I don't think swapping it out will resolve the issue. I am waiting until they revise the hardware.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
rbsti

It very well might not, but I think its worth a shot. Maybe I'll get a "good one" and if not I'm no worse off then I am now.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
eros18

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371
I don't think swapping it out will resolve the issue. I am waiting until they revise the hardware.
I think I will be doing the same, that of course depends on the next few weeks. But I'm leaning towards returning the unit and waiting for a revised one as well.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF

I still think you guys really took this too far...could you please explain to me how a little dust in the screen affects the usability of the device? Does is cover half the screen or are there just specs of dust? Does the dust interfere with email? Phone calls? Web browsing? Tasks, etc? Obviously RIM has heard about the issue by now, adding more fuel to fire will not make them come out with a "revision" any sooner. For god sakes the unit was released not even 2 weeks ago...

The Boy Genius Report
Old 12-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
I still think you guys really took this too far...could you please explain to me how a little dust in the screen affects the usability of the device? Does is cover half the screen or are there just specs of dust? Does the dust interfere with email? Phone calls? Web browsing? Tasks, etc? Obviously RIM has heard about the issue by now, adding more fuel to fire will not make them come out with a "revision" any sooner. For god sakes the unit was released not even 2 weeks ago...
Judging from the amount of dust I got under my screen in only a few days, I would say it would get to the point where it would bug most people. No excuse for it, just a bad design.

Replacing the unit will not help as they are all built the same. Check out your 8700 in the dark and see how much of the backlight is leaking out of the sides of the unit. Just a bad design.

Back to my 7520 and appreciate it for what it does so well day after day.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

** THIS IS 100% SERIOUS **

We had several 7100 customers complain about dust and dirty screens. They had not removed the plastic film on the screen.

I am not trying to make light of this situation; just making sure..
Old 12-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
rbsti

Ive owned a 7750 a 7230 a 7100 a 7290 and now a 8700 with a bunch of pocket pc and palm devices mixed in between and this is the first pda phone I've ever owned that wasnt sealed correctly. I think its fair to say we are all enthusiasts who spend lots of money on the lastest cutting edge devices. Releasing this with holes in it seems like a screw up on blackberrys part to get this to market in order to boost sales into the holiday and deflect from there current legal problems which could leave us all in the email wasteland any time now.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #11
rbsti

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
** THIS IS 100% SERIOUS **

We had several 7100 customers complain about dust and dirty screens. They had not removed the plastic film on the screen.

I am not trying to make light of this situation; just making sure..

lol im sure
Old 12-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Even though I am fortunate not to have bought one, and if you recalled in earlier posts I said waiting was the prudent thing to do, the way I feel is for this kind of money you are right in complaining and getting the unit exchanged, and not only once but as many times as it takes for them to do something all around. It is unfortunate that this happened, but if proper steps had been taken and testing through a better procedure had taken place this would have been spotted and prevented. To release a unit for the consumer to be the tester is a BAD IDEA. I realize all the pluses this unit has over the current crop of BBs but I work hard for my money, I dont mind spending it on something that will make my life easier, but I will be darned if I am going to sit idly by and hope that they rectify the problem.. In the long run I know RIM will stand by their product but the more noise is made about the issue the quicker it will be solved. I am sure that RIM will have either Insurance or be able to hold the manufacturer accountable for the problem.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #13
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF

LOL, You do realize this is a phone were talking about here right? This isn't like you just bought a brand new car that didn't come with a steering wheel...I mean come on! I personally have opened up the device, and see the rubber seal around the screen, why dust gets in who knows maybe the seal isnt tight enough, whatever. Return the phone or don't buy it. I just think its hilarious how people act when they get the phone they have been waiting for 8 months later and tear it to bits...8700c is best blackberry I have used, and for that reason if the screen was FULL OF DUST I would still use it, because that doesn't interfere with anything else! It doesn't stop me from sending emails, IM, or doing anyhting else I need it to. This is purely cosmetic people! I just bought a brand new Range Rover...THERE IS DUST IN THE SEATS FOLKS, holy god, RECALL!!! Range Rover please exchange my car, also while your at it please take a look at all my complaints and fix them, and ship me the car back overnight, FedEx...get real and stop complaining. - Tiki Barber

The Boy Genius Report
Old 12-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
rbsti

Becuase this problem doesnt bother you, or you think its silly doesnt make it any less of a problem. It might be dust now but in a few months it could be moisture, and once that happens its a frisbee. But congrats on your new range rover.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:57 AM   #15
Brad00111
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300C
Carrier: ATT

I am interested to see if anyone would post pictures of the dust problem.....if its as bad as some people are saying it should be obvious in a picture.....right?

RIM 950 > Nextel 6510 > Nextel 7520 > Cingular 7100 > Cingular 8700 > Cingular 8800 > Cingular 8300
Old 12-07-2005, 04:58 AM   #16
MooseBerry

Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
It doesn't stop me from sending emails, IM, or doing anyhting else I need it to.
What are you using to send IM's on the 8700? And will Cingular be supporting BB Messenger anytime soon?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 AM   #17
DJJeffT

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Moose 566
What are you using to send IM's on the 8700? And will Cingular be supporting BB Messenger anytime soon?
BB messenger works just fine on the 8700c.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:44 AM   #18
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsti
Becuase this problem doesnt bother you, or you think its silly doesnt make it any less of a problem. It might be dust now but in a few months it could be moisture, and once that happens its a frisbee. But congrats on your new range rover.
But it is a pretty trivial problem on the scale of things...!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:12 AM   #19
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Uhhhh...was that "data" plan or Dust plan! Hey....maybe there's an opportunity to make some money by starting a new "BlackBerry dust cleaning" service. If people can make money doing all kinds of stupid things servicing stupid issues on iPOD's, we can do the same with BlackBerry's! Hmmm...I think I smell cash....

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 12-07-2005, 08:31 AM   #20
szumlanski

Carrier: att
Default Cingular never learned to share as a child

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsti
. They call the store and tell them to give me one but they refuse. Why they would refuse when they are being compensated for it is beyond me.
Why? Because Cingular's many departments do no play nice with one another. Thier myriad of departments have thier own stock of hardware, and thier system is not set up to share. Not good.

[Start off-topic rant now]

I can somewhat understand the problem with retail stores not sharing thier stock with customer service. However, when you call and try to migrate from AT&T, and the migration team can't even get a phone from regular customer service, something is broken in the system (as I understand it, the web store has its own stock also). Especially when you are willing to pay full price for the phone, migrate to a voice plan with a worse deal, upgrade to the unlimited data plan, all just to get the new device. Come on! There has to be a lot of AT&T Blackberry users who want a new device and to migrate to Cingular, despite the lower mins/$ being offered. How can the migration team have no "stock" of the new devices?
Closed Thread