Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
rnantel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Canada

Please Login to Remove!

FYI, I received this from Freedom this morning. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Perhaps this will work for someone else:

If you can please follow the steps below which will go through and reset any pairings and will fix the problem.

Checking the settings and clearing paired settings:
1) Switch the keyboard to SPP mode and remove the batteries.
2) On the BlackBerry go into the Bluetooth keyboard software and uncheck both boxes.
3) Go to Options or Settings (icon that looks like a monkey wrench)
4) Highlight Advanced Options press screen in
5) Then highlight Applications press screen in, a application list will build.
6) It should say at the top Blackberry 4.7 Core Applications, highlight this and press the MENU button (spotty button next to green answer button) and MODULES
7) At the top will be Btkbd42 or Freedom_Uni, highlight and then press the MENU button(spotty button) then Edit Permissions.
8) Highlight Custom on the Interaction section and press the MENU button(spotty button) then Expand.
9) In the list should be Input Simulation, is it set still to Deny if so change to Allow. Click the Back button it will ask to Save changes highlight yes and continue.
10) Now go back to the Main application menu (the one with all the icons on) and go back to settings/options (the one that looks like a wrench).
11) Go to Bluetooth. Make sure on the top left it says bluetooth enabled. If it is not enabled press the menu button and select "enabled bluetooth".
12) On the same screen highlight the keyboard on the list of paired devices, press the menu button and select "delete device". When asked if you really want to delete it hit delete again.
13) Leave the BlackBerry turned on and remove the battery from it (just for a few seconds).

Reconnecting the keyboard:
1) Put the battery back in the BlackBerry and power it up (its normal for it to take a couple of minutes so don't worry if it seems to be taking a long time).
2) Put the batteries back in the keyboard. Make sure the switch is to the left and the green light is flashing next to it.
3) On the BlackBerry go back to Options/Settings and then Bluetooth.
4) Press the menu button and select "add device"
5) It should come up "searching for devices" once it has finished select "keyboard" from the list.
6) When it asks for the passkey enter 0000 on the BlackBerry and click the trackball.
7) Now the keyboard is under the paired devices list, if you highlight this then press the Menu button and select device properties.
8) Check to see if under services it says SPP slave, if it doesn't then press the Menu button then select Refresh Service List.
9) SPP Slave should appear under services.
10) Go into the Bluetooth keyboard software again and just tick the Activate keyboard checkbox.
11) Now you should see the keyboard status change to "connecting" and after a few moments "connected".
12) Once the keyboard status says "connected" check the "reconnection" check box as well.
13) Now scroll down to where it says "keyboard test" and try and type on the keyboard. What you type should appear in this box.

That should be the keyboard connected and running. When you have finished with the keyboard just set the switch on it to the centre (off) position. When you want to use it again switch it back to the left and wait a few seconds. The BlackBerry will automatically reconnect and you can then just use it. You do not need to go into the Bluetooth keyboard software again to activate it.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #22
rnantel

FYI, Freedom suggested I return the keyboard and replace it with another. I did that this morning. Same problem with the second keyboard so this appears to be configuration related. Freedom has sent me the following which I'll attempt to do tonight:

Remove driver
1) Go to the Downloads Folder
2) Highlight the keyboard, press the Menu button and Delete
3) Your Blackberry may need to reboot to delete this driver. If requested please reboot device before continuing with the instructions.

Install driver
1) Download the drivers using your Blackberry from OTAdrivers.com - Drivers for Freedom Input
2) Follow the link for the Universal Keyboard2
3) It should recognize you phone and download the correct driver. If it doesn't then select 4.2 driver for the Blackberry
4) Once the driver have completed it will ask to change permissions either after the download or when you click on the keyboard icon for the first time.
5) When it does ask to change permission select view and then it should say Input Simulation and Allow next to it. Now press the Back button on the Blackberry, it will ask you to save changes select Yes to continue.
6) Once it has completed the software should will be found in Downloads, on some 9530 Storms this is sometimes found in the main menu.

Pairing the Keyboard
1) Switch the keyboard on in SPP mode (little switch needs to go to the left).
2) On the BlackBerry go to "Options" (sometimes this could also be "Settings" depending on which theme you use) and then go to Bluetooth.
3) If it is disabled you will need to select Enable from the menu.
4) Press the Menu button and then select "Add Device". Select the keyboard from the list and when asked for a Passkey press 0000 on the BlackBerry.
5) Now the keyboard is under the paired devices list, if you highlight this then press the Menu button and select device properties.
6) Check to see if under services it says SPP slave, if it doesn't then press the Menu button then select Refresh Service List.
7) SPP Slave should appear under services.

Activating the keyboard
1) Run the Bluetooth Keyboard Software.
2) Click on the "Activate Keyboard" box. The "Keyboard Status" should show "Connecting" and then "Connected".
3) Once it is connected scroll down to the keyboard test box and try typing on the keyboard.
4) Once it is connected tick the "Reconnection" Box and exit the software.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #23
rnantel

Here's the latest. I uninstalled the drivers, removed the keyboard from the bluetooth device list, took out the batteries from both the blackberry and the keyboard.

Then, I used the blackberry's browser to download the latest drivers, 2.2.3. Installation went well. When I set up bluetooth and searched for devices, it found the keyboard quickly, which was very encouraging.

When I went to the keyboard application in the downloads folder, it provided a prompt that it needed to change the permissions, which I accepted. When I saved the changes, it produced the following error message:

Uncaught exception: no application instance.

When I clicked OK and attempted to activate to the keyboard, it continues to pause for about five seconds and then says

Connection to FREEDOM KEYBOARD failed.

Here's the current configuration for the driver:

CONNECTIONS: Custom
USB - Allow
Bluetooth - Allow
Phone - Prompt
Location data - Prompt
Internet – Prompt

INTERACTIONS: Custom
Cross Application Communication - Allow
Device settings - Allow
Media - Allow
Application Management - Allow
Themes - Allow
Input simulation - Allow
Browser filtering - Deny
Recording - Deny
Security Timer Reset - Deny

USER DATA: Allow
Email - Allow
Organizer Data - Allow
Files - Allow
Security data - Allow

And here are the keyboard device properties:

Device name: FREEDOM KEYBOARD

Trusted: Yes
Encryption: Enabled
Device address: 00:0B:0D:8A:50:77
Services: SPP slave

Any help would be most appreciated. I'm leaving on a business trip this Friday and require a working keyboard.

Many thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #24
rnantel

OK, this has been the most surreal experience. After hours of trying to debug this problem, I called my carrier, Bell Canada. Tech support there says they block bluetooth for everything except voice. Consequently, no bluetooth keyboard will every work.

I'm looking to cancel my contract and go with another carrier. I'll never deal with them again.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #25
zeppbond

Model: 9530
Carrier: COMCEL
Exclamation Urgent‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘ Help With Freedom Bt Keyboard

Hi To Everybody
I Just Updated My Storm To Os 5.0.0.238.....when I Try To Connect The Keyboard An Error Message Apperars...the Drivers Instelled Dosent Support Keyboard....i Need Some Help Here, I Use My Storm To Work....im Stuck ...help
Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #26
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Given that OS 5.0 is not official yet, I am not surprised that Freedom hasn't released updated keyboard drivers. I recommend that you contact them and see if they have some beta drivers. Alternatively, downgrade to a supported OS.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #27
fjfisher601

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bowles View Post
Hi all,

I'm the technical manager for Freedom. All the versions of the drivers above have been tested with the Storm running various versions of 4.7 and they do all work. That being said however we have found that the Storm is not quiet as reliable as the other BlackBerrys.

We are looking into if we can change anything on the drivers to try and work around this kind of issue but to be honest the parts of the OS we use for the drivers are really no different between 4.2 and 4.7 so I don't think anything we do will make a great deal of difference (unless we re-write the Storm OS ;) ).

Its very interesting that the older version of the drivers worked as the actually connection and bluetooth control part of 2.2.1 and 2.2.3 are exactly the same. Give me a few minutes and I will upload the previous versions though and put some links here.
Pauil I'd like a copy of the old driver too- I have AND my IT Dept both have searched all B forums here and elsewhere and have found no one that has been able to pair the Freedom Keyboard with a Tour-

I'm on Verizon, using 4.7.1.40 (no hacks on my BB!) and despite Louise's kind and detailed instructions, we can;t get it paired- we tried 6 different units.

I rally like the unit and want to use it- who has it working on a Verizon Tour - perhaps we can share notes ?

Please let me know-

Feel free to email me directly at ffisher @ e-o.com

Fred Fisher
CEO
ELM Insuance Brokers, Correspondents at Lloyds
Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #28
Burpleblurpleberry

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Freedom Keyboard and Storm 5.0 Upgrade

Hello! I was so excited to get my keyboard today!! Unfortunately, It claimed that the drivers wouldnt work on my device. Am I wasting my time downloading the recommended stuff or should I just return it? Thanks for advice! Burple
Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #29
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfisher601 View Post
Pauil I'd like a copy of the old driver too- I have AND my IT Dept both have searched all B forums here and elsewhere and have found no one that has been able to pair the Freedom Keyboard with a Tour-

I'm on Verizon, using 4.7.1.40 (no hacks on my BB!) and despite Louise's kind and detailed instructions, we can;t get it paired- we tried 6 different units.

I rally like the unit and want to use it- who has it working on a Verizon Tour - perhaps we can share notes ?

Please let me know-

Feel free to email me directly at ffisher @ e-o.com

Fred Fisher
CEO
ELM Insuance Brokers, Correspondents at Lloyds
I have it working on a Sprint Tour without any problems whatsoever.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #30
xxBarneyxx

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone
Default 5.0 Os

We have discovered an issue with the official release of the 5.0 OS (which annoyingly wasn't there in the pre-release versions we had).

When connecting the Universal Keyboard2 you will get a message saying that this keyboard is not support by these drivers.

We are writing a new set of drivers for the 5.0 platform now to work around this (there are API changes that have been put into 5.0 so that interfacing with the Bluetooth is done in a different way).

It will still work on some 5.0 devices so try it first (and also check that SPP services are installed as described above). If you do have issues please raise a ticket at freedom.helpserve.com stating that you have a 5.0 device and you want to be added to the mailing list to be told when the new drivers are available.

We aren't expecting this to take too long and will contact everyone who has the 5.0 OS to let them know when the new drivers are ready.

Sorry to anyone this has inconvenienced. Unfortunately this is the nature of the mobile market place. Phone OS's change rapidly and sometimes you just can't pre-empt when a change will break your software.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #31
xxBarneyxx

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

Just to let everyone know the 5.0 drivers are now complete and live on OTAdrivers.com - Drivers for Freedom Input[/url] for the Freedom Universal Keyboard2

These drivers are also backwards compatible so will work with BlackBerry's running 4.2-4.7 as well.
Home of the Freedom Bluetooth Keyboards
Closed Thread