Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 AM   #21
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

No those are crimes there are laws against it.They are in themselves illegal. There is not a law on the books saying a mother has to have chemo on their child.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #22
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
And it Killed my father, Grandmother, 3 aunts and 2 cousins. Yeah real curable.
Hodgkin's lymphoma killed your relatives? Or other cancers?

Quote:
I can't believe you people wnat the mother arrested for her beliefs you are communist. Government has ZERO right here to interfere. Or any family matter
As I said, the boy is the innocent. His life is being destroyed due to the stupid beliefs of his mother. Have you seen the recent video of the Father begging them to come home so he could get treatment? Shoudn't he have a say in the matter?

And for the record, I am not a communist.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #23
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

While I do agree that the boy does need treatment, it is the mother's constitutional right to follow her beliefs. She does have the freedom of religion. Personally, I disagree with her stance on this as she is putting her son's life at risk, as well as causing her family all kinds of hardship. I can't imagine what this young child is going through right now. Having to deal with the cancer, the media circus, as well as his (in my opinion) crazy mom.

Personally I do think the government should get involved to help the child. However, due to her religious beliefs, they really shouldn't get involved as it is her constitutionally protected freedom of choice.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
While I do agree that the boy does need treatment, it is the mother's constitutional right to follow her beliefs. She does have the freedom of religion. Personally, I disagree with her stance on this as she is putting her son's life at risk, as well as causing her family all kinds of hardship. I can't imagine what this young child is going through right now. Having to deal with the cancer, the media circus, as well as his (in my opinion) crazy mom.

Personally I do think the government should get involved to help the child. However, due to her religious beliefs, they really shouldn't get involved as it is her constitutionally protected freedom of choice.
This goes way beyond her religious beliefs. She is mentally imbalanced. She needs medical help herself. She is killing her son. What about the rights of the father who wants his son treated?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #25
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
Hodgkin's lymphoma killed your relatives? Or other cancers?

As I said, the boy is the innocent. His life is being destroyed due to the stupid beliefs of his mother. Have you seen the recent video of the Father begging them to come home so he could get treatment? Shoudn't he have a say in the matter?

And for the record, I am not a communist.
Yes they all had hodgkins.

Innocent or not he is in the charge of his mother. Its her desicion not yours mine or any courts. As far as the father goes if they are married then yes he has a say if they are divorced and she is the primary custodial parent then thats would be up to the courts to decide if he has a say.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #26
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
This goes way beyond her religious beliefs. She is mentally imbalanced. She needs medical help herself. She is killing her son. What about the rights of the father who wants his son treated?
How do you know what her mental status is other than whats being reported? Do you know them personally? If not then you can't say what her mental status is or is not.

And whos to say that the father isnt ion on the whole running away and isnt just putting on a show for the media.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #27
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

dawg, you sure it wasn't non-hodgkins? my father has that, treated 7 years ago and still in remission. To me its worth the treatment to prolong your life, I know from your past comments thats not something you personally believe in.

In this case I do think that the mother & child should be allowed to make the call. This is far from the first time that a person has died due to religious beliefs. People can be completely sane and make bad choices. I think in this case personal freedom should allow for them to refuse treatment. If there were a public health threat then its a different story but in this case its just this boy so it should be solely up to them.

If you want the mother and child to be psychologically tested then fine, but if they pass then let them make the call.

Last edited by test54; 05-22-2009 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #28
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Yes they all had hodgkins.
Very sorry to hear that Dawg. I'm so sorry.

Quote:
Innocent or not he is in the charge of his mother. Its her desicion not yours mine or any courts. As far as the father goes if they are married then yes he has a say if they are divorced and she is the primary custodial parent then thats would be up to the courts to decide if he has a say.
As far as I can tell, they are married. And wants them to return for treatment.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #29
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
How do you know what her mental status is other than whats being reported? Do you know them personally? If not then you can't say what her mental status is or is not.

And whos to say that the father isnt ion on the whole running away and isnt just putting on a show for the media.
Of course I don't know them personally. All I know is what I'm reading in the press. And I know that her actions are probably killing her son. Maybe the father is in on it. Who knows. Once again though, it is an innocent boy who is suffering. I have a son about the same age as that boy.

This boy doesn't deserve to have idiot parents. He deserves a chance. If the state can provide that, so be it.

Last edited by mriff; 05-22-2009 at 03:35 PM..
Old 05-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #30
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:

As far as I can tell, they are married. And wants them to return for treatment.
Yes they are married; that I can confirm. Is the husband in on it? Perhaps, but that doesn't appear to be the case from local media reports.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #31
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Yes they are married; that I can confirm. Is the husband in on it? Perhaps, but that doesn't appear to be the case from local media reports.
Even if the husband is in on it, get that poor kid out of there and get him some treatment.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #32
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

As a complicating factor, the pair may be traveling with a "natural healing" advocate from Massachusetts who in some respects may be using them as pawns to extend his personal agenda.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #33
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
As a complicating factor, the pair may be traveling with a "natural healing" advocate from Massachusetts who in some respects may be using them as pawns to extend his personal agenda.
Read something about that. That he may be a cancer survivor who healed himself 'holistically'. Also, that they are followers of a sect of Indians who believe in natural healing. What a complicated problem.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #34
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Certainly the most prominent group that is known for refusing treatment is the Christian Science believers. I know I see their reading rooms around in most cities.

"The basis of Christian Science healing is the view that man (the male/female spiritual being who appears as an individual human being) is the reflection or expression of wholly good and perfect God, and therefore is perfect. Christian Scientists believe that God loves every individual, because God is the creator of all.
Christian Scientists believe that sickness is the result of fear, ignorance, or sin, and that when the erroneous belief is corrected, the sickness will disappear. They state that the way to eliminate the false beliefs is to replace them with true understanding of God's goodness. They consider that suffering can occur only when one believes (consciously or unconsciously) in the supposed reality of a problem. If one changes one's understanding, the belief is revealed as false, and the acknowledgement that the sickness has no power, as God is the only power, eliminates the sickness." - from Wikipedia.

Many other groups refuse treatment, and they should be allowed to do so.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #35
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Looks like the Mother has come to her senses.

Lawyer: Mom prepared to allow son to undergo chemotherapy - CNN.com
Old 05-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #36
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

That is good news.
Closed Thread