Old 09-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #21
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emale
You're right, I dont know what I was thinking, something to do with a big weed joint
puff, puff, pass. you messed up the rotation bro! sheesh... and all i asked for was a bit of ganja. *sniffle*
Old 09-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #22
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by emale
apples to oranges, with GPS navigation its a whole different ball game, whats superior in Google Maps?

BlackBerry maps will let you search for restaurants and hotels

Also I can email my coordinates to others who can find my location on their BlackBerry... Beat that!

Well Ok BB Maps does need some work though.. lol But I think its got more promise
True, I've seen Blackberry Maps in action (briefly) and from what i've seen, it's a Vector-based map, rather than image based. This will greatly reduce data usage..

I would not want to see my data usage if Google Maps was GPS enabled.. it would be in the hundreds of megs !!

Last edited by headtailgrep; 09-13-2006 at 09:41 AM..
Old 09-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #23
GrantMethePower
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMOBILE

So basically if you're gonna use the bluetooth GPS use the BBMaps app, if not go with the Google maps?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #24
zachok
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMethePower
So basically if you're gonna use the bluetooth GPS use the BBMaps app, if not go with the Google maps?
or go with bb maps when gmm gives errors when you try to use directions...
Old 09-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #25
rYno
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile

The ONE thing I'd like the maps to do... is to be able to screenshot or create an image from where I am on the map and send that via MMS or Email... THAT would be cool!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #26
dornier

Can someone post a video or describe the GPS functionality on the Pearl? In other words, does it have any of the following capabilities?

1) Voice directions?

2) Auto re-routing?

3) ETA to destination?

4) Does it display the next turn or exit coming up?

5) Are the maps installed on the device or do you have to download maps?

6) Does it cost anything to download maps if that's the way it works?

7) Are maps for Puerto Rico and Canada included?

8) Can you route long distance? (ie, new york to LA)

9) What GPS programs are available for the Pearl?

10) Does Wayfinder Navigator 6 work with the pearl?

Thanks,

GP
Old 09-14-2006, 12:33 AM   #27
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: New ATT because of iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
True, I've seen Blackberry Maps in action (briefly) and from what i've seen, it's a Vector-based map, rather than image based. This will greatly reduce data usage..

I would not want to see my data usage if Google Maps was GPS enabled.. it would be in the hundreds of megs !!
Google maps seems to as fast if not faster than Maps. Also we are all (presumably) using TMO, which has unlimited data with BlackBerry plans .
Old 09-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #28
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafirm
Google maps seems to as fast if not faster than Maps. Also we are all (presumably) using TMO, which has unlimited data with BlackBerry plans .
I'm on Rogers -- there is no Unlimited.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #29
emale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornier
Can someone post a video or describe the GPS functionality on the Pearl? In other words, does it have any of the following capabilities?

1) Voice directions? NO

2) Auto re-routing? NO

3) ETA to destination? , There is distance to destination but no ETA

4) Does it display the next turn or exit coming up? YES

5) Are the maps installed on the device or do you have to download maps? Maps download automatically as needed alternatively you dcan download different area which you arent located, so you can preload area you know you will loose coverage

6) Does it cost anything to download maps if that's the way it works? No extra cost, just whatever data your carrier charges for any type of data usage

7) Are maps for Puerto Rico and Canada included? N/A as you download maps as you need them automatically

8) Can you route long distance? (ie, new york to LA) YES

9) What GPS programs are available for the Pearl? Garmin just announced support for BlackBerry!!! others are avilable too

10) Does Wayfinder Navigator 6 work with the pearl? Dont know

Thanks,

GP
Old 09-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #30
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafirm
Don't use Google maps if you are roaming in Europe on a US data plan. Download one city and you'll have an easy $15 in data charges. If you use Tmo, a KB of data is $.015. Download 1MB and you have over $15 sunk into your maps. It does appear that it caches a lot of data so you COULD download the maps here and then use it in Europe without re-downloading them. I havent tried this yet but will. I hope the cache doesn't age out.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #31
dornier

Thanks for the information emale!

GP

Last edited by dornier; 09-15-2006 at 10:09 PM..
Old 09-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #32
dornier

Default Telmap free trial with Pearl?

Can someone try the Telmap GPS navigation program and let us know if it works with the Pearl? It appears to be the first to have Navteq traffic which would be very cool!

The URL is www shop telmap com / onlineshop

Thanks,

GP
Closed Thread