Old 06-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchhon View Post
Just to make a long story short, the rep told me go ahead and use the neighbor's Wi-Fi network as long as it's opened the the public.
Oh, well if the T-mobile rep said it's OK for you to steal someone else's bandwidth and intrude on their network, then I guess it's fine. /sarcasm

The only thing more asinine than the rep giving you this bullcrap information is the fact that you are following it.

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-11-2008 at 11:06 AM..
Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #22
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveron View Post
My opinion, its OK to use it as long as its Open and you dont hack into his system
My opinion is that your opinion is a load of poop.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #23
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
My opinion is that your opinion is a load of poop.

My opinion is that your an old (maybe old) sour puss who always has something negative to say on here if anyones view is different from yours.

Open WiFi networks, maybe people dont care. But it also amounts to someone putting a sign out in front of their house that the door is open, feel free to come on in for a visit.

Want protection, lock your doors and your WiFi. I'm not saying its right but do others honestly not think someone will not use their network if its open for all? I live downtown, I have no clue where the open signal is coming from neighbor wise, there are like 4 of them, 3 locked, one open.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #24
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraed74 View Post
But it also amounts to someone putting a sign out in front of their house that the door is open, feel free to come on in for a visit.
Ok so by your statement here if I find your credit card laying on the ground and I used it your not gonna be mad. You didnt take sufficent care in keeping it safe so its ok for me to use it all I want.

Or if you leave the keys in your car I can take it and go where I want when I want.

Thats a BS way to look at things.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #25
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Open WiFi networks, maybe people dont care. But it also amounts to someone putting a sign out in front of their house that the door is open, feel free to come on in for a visit.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I leave my front door unlocked when I'm home and sitting in my living room. I also leave my garage door open with my belongings inside.
These are NOT open invitations for those who pass by to simply stop and tresspass on my property just because the door is unlocked and/or open.

I also disagree with your statement about people not caring that their WiFi networks are wide open. I'm of the opinion that most home WiFi users are unaware that they're running insecure wireless networks. These are mostly people who pop into a Staples or Best Buy and buy a $40 router off the shelf and start using it in minutes because it's basically a plug-and-play device nowadays. The average user knows nothing if WEP or WPA encryption, MAC address filtering or hiding SSID beacons.

These people would be better off if they are educated... not exploited.

Quote:
but do others honestly not think someone will not use their network if its open for all?
As mentioned above, I'm of the opinion that most users have no idea they're not secured.

Quote:
I live downtown, I have no clue where the open signal is coming from neighbor wise, there are like 4 of them, 3 locked, one open.
So then don't use the open one. What's so hard about that? Use your own wireless network.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #26
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

^ and ^^ ... spot on.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #27
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

The CC subject is a little different. I would never think of using one I found or anything like that. I only connect with my BB from time to time, if thats the worst I do, steal a couple bites of bandwidth for a few minutes, I'll still be able to sleep at night. If I was on a laptop doing lots of downloading, lots of bandwidth, then no.

An argument can be made on for both side of this subject. If they dont want others to use their WiFi, they need to close it. Maybe they dont care but leaving it open and not thinking someone could use it also need to turn the lights on.

Again, not saying its right but I'm not harming anyone or causing mass destruction if I happen to do it.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #28
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
The CC subject is a little different. I would never think of using one I found or anything like that. I only connect with my BB from time to time, if thats the worst I do, steal a couple bites of bandwidth for a few minutes, I'll still be able to sleep at night. If I was on a laptop doing lots of downloading, lots of bandwidth, then no.

An argument can be made on for both side of this subject. If they dont want others to use their WiFi, they need to close it. Maybe they dont care but leaving it open and not thinking someone could use it also need to turn the lights on.

Again, not saying its right but I'm not harming anyone or causing mass destruction if I happen to do it.
Stealing is stealing no matter how you look at it. Again I will use your illustration on you.

A child steals a pack of gum from a store its not hurting anyone, its still stealing correct?

Those people in Katrina they were stealing TVs from stores and houses, wasnt hurting anyone but its still stealing.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #29
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Then consider me a thief! I'm not stealing gum, tvs or whatever example you want to bring up. I'm not hurting anyone or causing them financial duress with stolen goods.

Along with this subject, all of the ones that are high and mighty, if by chance you were out and had no signal. So you scanned for any networks and found an open one to look up something, would you keep to your high path or take a min or two and steal a little bandwidth? Even if your lost in a neighborhood and could only find your way out with this option?

Kinda off the subject but wouldnt anyone using the 4.5 software be consindered stealing since its not offically released from RIM and obtained it through other channels?

Last edited by lraed74; 06-11-2008 at 12:27 PM..
Old 06-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #30
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Have a wifi network at home. neighbors is on rough times so I offered to let them use my wifi so they can cut costs. I told them under no means are they to give out the key or to share with neighbors or anyone else. Told them the second I see a computer I dont recognize I would lock them out. Harsh yes but boundries gotta be set.

their kids need it for school more than anything.

coolest thing they offered to pay part of the internet portion of the bill...I declined told them to pay other bills and put food on the table.

wow I got way off topic

STEALING is STEALING
Old 06-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Then consider me a thief! I'm not stealing gum, tvs or whatever example you want to bring up. I'm not hurting anyone or causing them financial duress with stolen goods.

Along with this subject, all of the ones that are high and mighty, if by chance you were out and had no signal. So you scanned for any networks and found an open one to look up something, would you keep to your high path or take a min or two and steal a little bandwidth? Even if your lost in a neighborhood and could only find your way out with this option?

Kinda off the subject but wouldnt anyone using the 4.5 software be consindered stealing since its not offically released from RIM and obtained it through other channels?
yes to your question about 4.5 its already been discussed here. Its pirated software thats why its not aloowed to be posted here.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #32
blackcivic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Have a wifi network at home. neighbors is on rough times so I offered to let them use my wifi so they can cut costs. I told them under no means are they to give out the key or to share with neighbors or anyone else. Told them the second I see a computer I dont recognize I would lock them out. Harsh yes but boundries gotta be set.

their kids need it for school more than anything.

coolest thing they offered to pay part of the internet portion of the bill...I declined told them to pay other bills and put food on the table.

STEALING is STEALING
that was nice of you
Old 06-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #33
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
yes to your question about 4.5 its already been discussed here. Its pirated software thats why its not aloowed to be posted here.

Right, some of the ppl in here preaching about stealing wifi are just stealing other things which much be ok
Old 06-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #34
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Right, some of the ppl in here preaching about stealing wifi are just stealing other things which much be ok
Was this statement directed at me? Because last time I checked... I still had 4.2.2 on my 8310.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
well I can guarantee you I dont have have 4.5 or any other OS not available to the public.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #36
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Was this statement directed at me? Because last time I checked... I still had 4.2.2 on my 8310.
No one specific, just making a point that everyone has their view of stealing. Finding 4.5 is easy and its not causing hardship for RIM if you use it but its still considered stealing but ppl are using it.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #37
hchhon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Before I got the BB Curve I wasn't interest or know much about Wi-Fi. I was more interested in getting the BB Curve to be used with $5.99 plan to browse the web which I am able to do that with the Opera Mini. But when I was playing around with the Wi-Fi setting
and I got high speed internet connection from somewhere and I was very excited and want to find out more. Now I know my neighbor has left his/her Wi-Fi network open to the public intentionally or not I don't know.

The point that I am trying to make is that I wasn’t trying to use my Wi-Fi device to sniff on my neighbor’s Wi-Fi network. The Wi-Fi signal is coming into my apartment and I have a device that can see it so tell me why I can’t use it.

Last edited by hchhon; 06-11-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Old 06-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #38
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
The Wi-Fi signal is coming into my apartment and I have a device that can see it so tell me why I canxxx8217;t use it.
Removing my post.

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-11-2008 at 02:21 PM..
Old 06-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #39
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Before I got the BB Curve I wasn't interest or know much about Wi-Fi. I was more interested in getting the BB Curve to be used with $5.99 plan to browse the web which I am able to do that with the Opera Mini. But when I was playing around with the Wi-Fi setting
and I got high speed internet connection from somewhere and I was very excited and want to find out more. Now I know my neighbor has left his/her Wi-Fi network open to the public intentionally or not I don't know.

The point that I am trying to make is that I wasn’t trying to use my Wi-Fi device to sniff on my neighbor’s Wi-Fi network. The Wi-Fi signal is coming into my apartment and I have a device that can see it so tell me why I can’t use it.
Because its illegal.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #40
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Its not like you went out looking for it. There are ppl that drive around looking for one to abuse with their laptops. I agree since its coming into your apt.

If someone had a water sprinkler on their lawn and some of the water was coming onto your property, if you set up a bucket to collect and use for your own means, is that illegal then also? Closest thing I could think of with a neighbor analogy.
Closed Thread