hegedusa
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohphat View Post
I thought this was caused by the broadband provider is AOL via BT and PPPoe auth but when I ping local UK websites, they don't go through the US:
There's your answer, it's AOL. AOL in the UK blocks most useful things (think VPN, SMTP on port 25 for starters). I don't know what AOL is used for in the USA, but in the UK it's just a toy service, for newbies - it can't be used for any serious business purpose like VOIP.

All UK ISPs use PPPoA; AOL uses PPPoE. It doesn't necessarily go "through" BT - in some areas, AOL have their own DSLAMs (so-called "unbundled" lines, in others they rent from BT Openreach). In every case, they work differently from any other UK ISP in my experience.

What I've noticed about UMA on my blackberry 8320 is this:

My 8320 is on the Orange network in the UK, and UMA does work, but only when connected to Orange's own broadband service. It doesn't seem to need a special router, or be at your home (I don't use Orange Broadband). It seems a bit daft - the functionality is there, but for some reason they only allow it when you're using Orange broadband. And I've tested it - it works very well, seamlessly handing over to GSM when moving away from the wireless router.

I have tried it when connected to Orange in France, but UMA doesn't work there.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #22
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I have great success with UMA in Lodnon the week before last. I qwas surprised at how well it work! T-Mobile does not market UMA to work out of North America (as mentioned earlier) so I considered it a bonus. I had several spots where I lost EDGE, but I was very surprised at how well UMA worked.

Having said that, it is clearly emerging technology and not ready for the masses yet.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #23
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegedusa View Post
There's your answer, it's AOL. AOL in the UK blocks most useful things (think VPN, SMTP on port 25 for starters). I don't know what AOL is used for in the USA, but in the UK it's just a toy service, for newbies - it can't be used for any serious business purpose like VOIP.

All UK ISPs use PPPoA; AOL uses PPPoE. It doesn't necessarily go "through" BT - in some areas, AOL have their own DSLAMs (so-called "unbundled" lines, in others they rent from BT Openreach). In every case, they work differently from any other UK ISP in my experience.

What I've noticed about UMA on my blackberry 8320 is this:

My 8320 is on the Orange network in the UK, and UMA does work, but only when connected to Orange's own broadband service. It doesn't seem to need a special router, or be at your home (I don't use Orange Broadband). It seems a bit daft - the functionality is there, but for some reason they only allow it when you're using Orange broadband. And I've tested it - it works very well, seamlessly handing over to GSM when moving away from the wireless router.

I have tried it when connected to Orange in France, but UMA doesn't work there.
Orange UK may have changed something this week - for the first time I have UMA on my BB (8820) at home and I don't use Orange's broadband service.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #24
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

To the OP there are other threads created today about UMA issues on the ISP you were using BT. It may have been an isolated issue with the ISP.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #25
lohphat

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Tmobile doesn't market UMA as an international solution.
Well, their sales people do.

"You can connect UMA in Europe and your phone thinks it's in the US and you can avoid all roaming fees."

I agree AOL sux rox but I'm at my elderly grandmother's home and AOL is only thing she feels she can use. You know the story.

If I could get her on an different ISP and allow her to use the AOL client software, she'd be fine. But AOL tries to tie theri client to the router/modem so that it won't function on a general broadband connection.

Spare me the AOL tirade eveyone, you're screetching to the choir. It was not my choice.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #26
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well, their sales people do.

"You can connect UMA in Europe and your phone thinks it's in the US and you can avoid all roaming fees."
You can. But it's not guaranteed to work. If you were promised that it would work then you should contact the sales person who told you that and make a complaint.

Dave
Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #27
ajm

Quote:
Spare me the AOL tirade eveyone, you're screetching to the choir. It was not my choice.
Spare us your UMA tirade. You know that T-Mobile and BlackBerry are not to blame for your problem.
Closed Thread