Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
Mike72677
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Default Special Alert For Certain Senders

Please Login to Remove!

I have the Blackberry Pearl. Is there any way to set special alerts for certain senders when I receieve email? I'd like to setup certain sender's emails to be a Level 1 message or at least get a different notification sound. I don't have a text message plan any more so the @mobile.mycingular.com doesn't work any more. I'm trying to keep from adding a text plan. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike72677 View Post
I have the Blackberry Pearl. Is there any way to set special alerts for certain senders when I receieve email? I'd like to setup certain sender's emails to be a Level 1 message or at least get a different notification sound. I don't have a text message plan any more so the @mobile.mycingular.com doesn't work any more. I'm trying to keep from adding a text plan. Thanks!
Nope can set up sms to be level 1 messages but cant set so each person has there own sounds.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Mike, actually there is a work around for this--to have specific alerts & notifications when you receive email from certain users, it is complicated, but works well.

This workaround is for devices with OS 4.1 and above. It does not work for OS 4.0 or below.
  1. Go to Profiles on your BlackBerry and create a new custom profile, naming it the name of your targeted sender.
  2. Edit and change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringtones you prefer for this contact. Don't worry about changing things like Calendar, Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.
  3. Once all of your ringtone settings are set for the new custom profile, save the changes. Now you will be back to your Profiles list and will see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones.
  4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.
  5. Title the exception whatever you want (would be smart to name it again the name of that particular contact).
  6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.
  7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.
  8. You may remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" if you already have a custom phone tune for this contact, or leave it and set it in the new custom profile as well.
  9. Save the changes.

Last edited by JSanders; 07-20-2007 at 10:24 AM..
Old 07-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
LarryH
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

JS -- If you set a ringtone/phone tune in the custom profile (that you then use as an exception) by unchecking the "Custom Phone Tune" in the exception, it should use whatever ringtone/tune you've put in the custom profile. (So you'd still have a custom tune.)

In short, you can have a custom phone tune by including it in the exception profile or simply assigning it at the top level of the exception. (Boy the terminology for this workaround can get a bit confusing.)
Old 07-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Larry, yes, that would create a custom phone tune for that caller, as well. I am going back and editing that line out.

Of course, you understand, this whole workaround is for mail and messages. The ability set a custom phone ringtone is already present.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
LarryH

The "head's up" might be if you already have an exception for a custom ringtone for a given contact and create a separate exception for the email/messages one. Because exceptions are "automatically" created when you set a custom ringtone for a contact, when doing this workaround, it's probably best to delete the ringtone only exception and include everything in the workaround exception.

IIRC, I once had a "collision" due to this.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Mike72677

Thumbs up

JSanders - Worked like a charm! Thanks!!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Very cool... I've added this over in the FAQs for future reference.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

too confusing for me one sound for email one for SMS and custom tunes for callers is good enough for me.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I agree... I got too many tunes ringing in my head already to add more. But to each his own--!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
Mike72677

Smile

My BB is through work and our company BB Server. So I get all my work emails on my BB. The reason I wanted special notification for certain senders is because I get email notification if a server or circuit goes down so I want to get an audible notification of those events 24x7, but I don't want to be woken up all night by other non-essential emails. Make sense? Thanks again for the steps to set it up!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Mike, yes that makes loads of sense... and is a great use for that workaround.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #13
LarryH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
too confusing for me one sound for email one for SMS and custom tunes for callers is good enough for me.
Yeah, it really does get confusing. Basically, I pretty much only set custom ringtones for certain callers and they usually have some reference (I use mp3s) to the callers so I pretty much know who it is.

That said, I've added the email addresses for some of the forums to which I subscribe to my Outlook contacts and created an exception for those emails. It's helped a lot. The LED flashes but I get no sound. Otherwise, when a thread is hot, my BB is going off like crazy and although it might make me look (sound?) important to anyone around me, it keeps those emails quiet.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
jc72

Model: 8703

this is a problem I have been having for sooo long.

I had already figured out how to set up each person with their own ringtone for ringer and SMS.

My problem is figuring how to get it enabled.

I have 10 people listed in my profiles(already set up with their own ringtones), however, the only way to have it work is to "enable" that profile, which for whatever reason is disabling alllllll other profiles. So if I enable my sons, every call, SMS, and e-mail is "moneymaker" !!

Help....
Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
LarryH

Go back to JSanders' instructions. You have to go into the profile you use normally (like "normal") and from the menu create a new exception. You'll have to create one for each individual profile. Within the exception tell it to use the profile for that particular contact.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
jc72

thank you! All working except for certain e-mail.

I have my personal comcast e-mail and my work e-mail on the BB (work is only about 10 people)

I set one co-worker up with her profile and we have tested it and the only one that is not working is the e-mail. Any suggestions?

Thanks again...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
jc72

Seriously guys, I am pretty articulate when it comes to this stuff, but BB is kicking my *ss.

I know have everyone set up with their own profiles/exceptions under Loud (only one I use) I had all my contacts test last night just to make sure it was all working, and it was alllll good.

Now all of a sudden the ringtone that I use for my husbands text messages is the alert that I get when anyone leaves me a voice mail.

I have gone over and over my Loud profile settings and its driving me nutso!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

jc, I don't know. It sounds like a glitch between the current selected profile and the exception you have created.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
jc72

thanks...

I have spent too much time on this today! Now I just have to figure it out.

I have 17 user profiles w/exceptions now. Most of them have a different tone for each source (message, SMS, ect)

However, no matter what tone I connect to my husbands SMS, that is the tone that plays when a voicemail is left from anyone, no matter who it is.

I have totally deleted husbands information and started over numerous times, still with the same result.

When I don't have a profile for my husband, you would think it would play another tone from a profile, but noooooooo, it just beeps. It's like my husbands info is cursed.

Maybe I should start a new thread?? I know its not a big deal, but now it is just making me crazy.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #20
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc72 View Post
When I don't have a profile for my husband, you would think it would play another tone from a profile, but noooooooo, it just beeps. It's like my husbands info is cursed.

Maybe I should start a new thread?? I know its not a big deal, but now it is just making me crazy.
Time for a new husband, that'll solve it. ;)

Okay, seriousness. Is it possible that your husband is set up as a secondary contact somewhere, or that his mobile phone number is set up under a different (less apparent) contact name?
Closed Thread