Old 06-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
kitmoni
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status
Carrier: Sprint
Default Is it Cingular, or the 8700?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a former 7250 user (Sprint) who switched to Cingular so I could use the 8700. I'm BES connected, but also use BIS for about 3 accounts. I like the 8700 from a speed and screen standpoint, but I am one of those that feels it's a little fragile.

The Problem: The biggest thing I'm struggling with is there seems to be a significant drop in voice quality after the switch. Everyone I talk with has noticed the change. Comparitively, the Cingular calls are much more "noisy" (static, garble from time to time, etc.). I am NOT a Sprint homer, I could care less which service I use as long as it's good. Also, I have trouble with dropped calls (funny, considering their recent add campaign) and placing calls. My usage is VERY heavy on the email side, and light on the browsing side. However, I use about 2400 minutes a month for voice, so I'm very concerned about the quality change.

Is this something that is unique to Cingular? I don't seem to notice the problems on my wife's Razor (switched her too), just on my 8700. If it's an 8700 issue, I'll solve that and move back to a 7290 so I don't have to switch carriers. But if it's a Cingular (or just a GSM) problem, I'll need your input! Are there other GSM carriers with better voice quality (like TMO), or do I need to switch back to CDMA? I would love to stay with the 8700, but I'm willing to bump back to the 72xx if I have to.

What do you think?? My conscience could really use some relief.

[edit] -- I've also changed my signature 3 times and it still comes up with my old PIN. ??
Old 06-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
MikesTechSvcs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

That's funny.
Back when I had my Razr, I used to get outstanding voice clarity.
But then I pick up a BlackBerry and everything sounds a little different.
The noise/crackles/garbles come with the territory. The 8700 is Quad Band isn't it? That might be why. I know Cingular operates on 1900 Mhz, which is the highest around so it could very well pick up power fluctuations and such stuff.

- Mike
Old 06-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
careyana

Model: 8820
Carrier: CingATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitmoni
I'm a former 7250 user (Sprint) who switched to Cingular so I could use the 8700. I'm BES connected, but also use BIS for about 3 accounts. I like the 8700 from a speed and screen standpoint, but I am one of those that feels it's a little fragile.

The Problem: The biggest thing I'm struggling with is there seems to be a significant drop in voice quality after the switch. Everyone I talk with has noticed the change. Comparitively, the Cingular calls are much more "noisy" (static, garble from time to time, etc.). I am NOT a Sprint homer, I could care less which service I use as long as it's good. Also, I have trouble with dropped calls (funny, considering their recent add campaign) and placing calls. My usage is VERY heavy on the email side, and light on the browsing side. However, I use about 2400 minutes a month for voice, so I'm very concerned about the quality change.

Is this something that is unique to Cingular? I don't seem to notice the problems on my wife's Razor (switched her too), just on my 8700. If it's an 8700 issue, I'll solve that and move back to a 7290 so I don't have to switch carriers. But if it's a Cingular (or just a GSM) problem, I'll need your input! Are there other GSM carriers with better voice quality (like TMO), or do I need to switch back to CDMA? I would love to stay with the 8700, but I'm willing to bump back to the 72xx if I have to.

[edit] -- I've also changed my signature 3 times and it still comes up with my old PIN. ??
I've had my 8700 for a few months now and I haven't had any issues with voice quality. Did you pull your SIM from your old device? Is it an old AT&T SIM? I have seen issues with devices not functioning correctly so you may have just gotten a bad one. :(
Old 06-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
kitmoni

Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks for the input. Interesting to see someone else with the same Razr/BB difference. Might be the quad band issue. I've also noticed buzzing in my computer speakers when I get a new email (with BB on my desk), so that matches up. I have an employee with a 71xx BB who has the same sound quality issue. In some cases I don't think they even notice it because that's all they have known.

My Sim was new Cingular with my phone, but was originally assigned to a Nokia phone by mistake. That wouldn't make a difference would it?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
EAndresen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT

I had a razr and went to the BB and had opposite results... I think the BB is so much better quality, speaking on what I hear on my end. I have cingular. Also the Razr is a quadband phone as well so.... Just adding my thoughts.

BB 4 life.

E
Old 06-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
ceebz

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F2E165
Carrier: AT&T

It's Cingular. Damned AMR-HR!!!!!

Old 06-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
kitmoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAndresen
I had a razr and went to the BB and had opposite results... I think the BB is so much better quality, speaking on what I hear on my end. I have cingular. Also the Razr is a quadband phone as well so.... Just adding my thoughts.

BB 4 life.

E
I suppose I should clarify. To ME, everything sounds the same. No problems. On the other end, however, is where I'm getting the complaints.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
sigmamason
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22BFEE32

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks for the input. Interesting to see someone else with the same Razr/BB difference. Might be the quad band issue. I've also noticed buzzing in my computer speakers when I get a new email (with BB on my desk), so that matches up. I have an employee with a 71xx BB who has the same sound quality issue. In some cases I don't think they even notice it because that's all they have known.

My Sim was new Cingular with my phone, but was originally assigned to a Nokia phone by mistake. That wouldn't make a difference would it?

If I remember the network integration states correctly, Florida is one of the states that is going thru the Tower upgrade (switch from ATT to Cingular and upgrade non EDGE to EDGE/UMTS or HSPDA)
There is call quality degradation while this is happening...once complete, you should have clearer calls and improved voice/data signal strength.
Cingular has spent a ton of money working on moving the TDMA towers to GSM/HSPDA, integrating the old ATT networks into the Cingular networks, attempting to upgrade training to their CSRs (who in spite of the rumor are actually pretty nice and intelligent) upgrading existing towers to the latest/greatest GSM tech, etc...
Travel Light!!!

Last edited by sigmamason; 06-04-2006 at 10:08 AM..
Old 06-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
whoscalling

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

I have had the exact same experience. The only differences are I came to Cingular from Verizon Wireless and our locations. Other then that i could not agree with you more about the call quality and dropped calls. I too have wondered which of the two new variables (Cingular or 8700c) have caused this?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:21 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Perhaps it is a coverage problem. How strong is the Cingular signal. I know with my 8700, when I go into areas with weaker coverage (2 bars or less) I have had connection and voice quality problems.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #11
AlbertoM

Model: 8830

The speaker thing is common for GSM. Don't know about the rest...
Old 06-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
sivartyad

Model: 8700
Default Cingular Fails

It's Cingular. After 6 months of Verizon 7250, I just switched to the Cingular 8700 (mostly for international usage reasons). Within minutes of using the phone I noticed that the audio on calls was terrible - not only on my end but also for the person that I was calling.

Additionally, in the course of five days I've only been able to make less than half of the calls I would usually make on the Verizon 7250. Constantly showing as "No Service" and very often I dial and wait over 60 seconds for the call to connect. On every call I've made the quality of the call has been so poor that I've had to hang up and dial from a landline or the call has been completely dropped.

If you look closely, you'll see that Cingular's new ad campaign about the fewest dropped calls is in reference to the metro New York area only. While I live in Boston, what most would assume to be a well covered area in the way of cell phone use, it certainly doesn't apply with the 8700 from Cingular.

Lastly - tonight I performed a test. A friend has the 8700 from T-Mobile. I called myself from his 8700 and then called him from my 8700. The results:

When I called his T-Mobile phone from my Cingular phone, my call was terribly staticy and garbled. The same background noise was heard when listening through his phone.

When I called my Cingular phone from his T-Mobile phone, the call was crystal clear on his end, but was received on my Cingular phone again as terribly garbled and echoy.

Perhaps I'll just go back to the rotary dial phone. I'm so tired of all these cell phone companies.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #13
r0guenj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 305505FA

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Voice quality is not the same as it was for me. I went from a razr to the 8700 and I notice a difference (I didn't seem edit the razr either)

I get consistent audio drop out even with full coverage and off peak hours.

I am thinking of carrying a separate phone because of this issue.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #14
kitmoni

So what I'm hearing is that several posting to this thread have gone from CDMA to GSM and have noticed a difference. Other than small coverage differences in certain areas, Sprint and Verizon operate the same type of network, CDMA.

Liking the 8700, I'm wondering if a jump to Tmobile would solve my voice problem, with the caveat being TMO is also GSM. I'm not sure what to think of the tower upgrade post in that Cingular already had a strong network presence in FL. I bought my 8700 from what would be considered as "Orange", or the Cingular network, not ATT. So I'm not sure I buy that the tower upgrade is affecting me - although I could be wrong.

I get my rebate on my phones this month, so maybe I'll do a little evaluation using another couple of services. Liking the 8700 overall, but if it improves my overall quality, I'd be willing to step back to a 7290 or 7250. Anyone on Cingular had this issue with 7290s??
Old 06-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #15
BroomHilda

Model: 8310

I'm on T-Mobile and I upgraded from my Razr to the 8700g. I got the 8700g two days ago and I immediately noticed the voice quality of was significantly worse than the razr. My wife even commented on it without my saying anything (and she usually doesn't notice these things).

If it werenxxx8217;t for the voice quality I'd be ecstatic about my purchase.

I wish there were some way to check and switch between the Half Rate AMR voice codec and the enhance Full Rate codec. If anyone comes across a way to do this please let us know.

Thanks, -BHilda-
Old 06-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #16
kitmoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroomHilda
I wish there were some way to check and switch between the Half Rate AMR voice codec and the enhance Full Rate codec. If anyone comes across a way to do this please let us know.
Hilda,

Can you explain this to me. I'm not familiar with HR AMR and Full Rate.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #17
BroomHilda

Model: 8310

Actually I'm no expert on the voice codecs used by the cell industry. What little i know is this:

The voice data is compressed when it is sent over the cell network on digital systems. The codec and compression rate used can significanlty affect voice quality.

On other phones I have used there have been "hacks" to enable Full Rate encoding instead of the Half Rate encoding which is typically selected as a default.

From what I can tell there is also AMR (adaptive multi rate) which seems to be a newer form of codec which is adaptive... it varies it's data rate based on current conditions.

The 8700g seems to support AMR, but I don't know which codec is selected by default... or if there is even a choice.

If someone knows more than I do, please comment.

Thanks, -BHilda-
Old 06-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #18
nosidam

Model: 9630

I too went from a RAZR to the 8700c. The only difference that I've noticed is that the speaker in the 8700c starts to loose sound quality as it gets louder. I normally keep it between 50-75%, but when walking down the streets of midtown Manhattan during a weekday, it sometimes needs to go louder.

Sometimes the people on the other end say that there is too much background noise to hear me. I attribute this to the fact that a candybar phone has a more sensative mic than a flip-phone simply because it is further away from the mouth. I have had that exact same kind of report when I used other candybar style phones.

I'm using Bharti, but not sure if the stock or telstra voice quality is better/worse.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #19
rjhouck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:

I had the same issue going from the Razor to the BB8700c. The Razor had great audio quality on my ear and no one on the other end complained about my audio. However, when I went to the 8700c the audio on my ear was fine but everyone complained about background noice. I tested this on my office voicemail and it is true. The BB8700c does not cancel out the background noice. I have tried several different Bluetooth devises but there is still lots of background noice.

I think I am going to have to carry around my old razor as a phone and use the BB for email only. I hate to think about having to carry two devises.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #20
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartyad
It's Cingular. After 6 months of Verizon 7250, I just switched to the Cingular 8700 (mostly for international usage reasons). Within minutes of using the phone I noticed that the audio on calls was terrible - not only on my end but also for the person that I was calling.

Additionally, in the course of five days I've only been able to make less than half of the calls I would usually make on the Verizon 7250. Constantly showing as "No Service" and very often I dial and wait over 60 seconds for the call to connect. On every call I've made the quality of the call has been so poor that I've had to hang up and dial from a landline or the call has been completely dropped.

If you look closely, you'll see that Cingular's new ad campaign about the fewest dropped calls is in reference to the metro New York area only. While I live in Boston, what most would assume to be a well covered area in the way of cell phone use, it certainly doesn't apply with the 8700 from Cingular.

Lastly - tonight I performed a test. A friend has the 8700 from T-Mobile. I called myself from his 8700 and then called him from my 8700. The results:

When I called his T-Mobile phone from my Cingular phone, my call was terribly staticy and garbled. The same background noise was heard when listening through his phone.

When I called my Cingular phone from his T-Mobile phone, the call was crystal clear on his end, but was received on my Cingular phone again as terribly garbled and echoy.

Perhaps I'll just go back to the rotary dial phone. I'm so tired of all these cell phone companies.
I am in Boston all the time and have no problem with Cingular. The only problem areas in New England that I have found over the last several years are on I-89 between Concord and Lebanon, north of Augusta, ME, and in a few areas inthe hills of CT. BTW, I have an 8700c.
Closed Thread