rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownvirus View Post
i actually used to use this as a solutuon for some email setups when i used to do blackberry support for ATT
someone wanna give it a try? im too lazy
Looks like the idea is dead in the water -- you can get quick & easy free IMAP accounts from Fastmail.fm (kinda sweet, actually). The new IMAP account plugs right into BIS without any problems, but then when you try and edit the account you cannot change the 'username' field in the web UI. arrgh. Oh well, it was a good idea.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #102
Jaime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

My hosted google email got imap. I deleted from BIS, disabled pop, enabled imap and reactivated the account. BIS enabled pop again.

Best,
Jaime
Old 10-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #103
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2 UK

Scuse my ignorance but does the IMAP functionality have any benefit for people wanting to use a Gmail account as a spam filter that forwards to their BB?

Or not?

I have become the human spam filter

Go daddy pop 3 (cant manually configure their filters in any way)
Apple Mail - at office (this kills the spam OK)
BB - on the road - gets all the spam...
Old 10-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #104
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper TFG View Post
Scuse my ignorance but does the IMAP functionality have any benefit for people wanting to use a Gmail account as a spam filter that forwards to their BB?
In a pure forwarding situation, not really - at that point IMAP is of no more use than POP because you're not actually managing the email on GMail, just using it as a passthru. The only way IMAP makes (or will make once they update BIS) a positive benefit is if you're actually using that email account to ... uh, "do" the email I guess you could say.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #105
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
My hosted google email got imap. I deleted from BIS, disabled pop, enabled imap and reactivated the account. BIS enabled pop again.

Best,
Jaime
That's because RIM implemented goggle hosted domains in their BIS setup. It looks at the MX record, and if google, automatically setup the account as if it were Gmail including the notification server for push email.

We have to wait for RIM to implement (again) IMAP-IDLE before we get true IMAP functionality.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #106
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Gmail in Thunderbird with IMAP is sweet...but it has several kinks. it was a great first start but it definitely needs improvement.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #107
veks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: sprint

i just changed my settings from having pop and imap enabled to disabled. i noticed that my email took about 3 minutes to receive from the instantaneuos i had before.

i guess it works for some and for others it doesnt. just make sure you guys and gals still get your email...
Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #108
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
We have to wait for RIM to implement (again) IMAP-IDLE before we get true IMAP functionality.
I agree; I believe this is exactly what the problem is. I was planning to call RIM and complain because on a previous RIM ticket they said "well Google doesn't support IMAP and that is why 2-way sync. doesn't work." So it seems a little stupid that now that Google supports IMAP, RIM is not set up properly to work with it...

I'll call RIM on Monday and see if I can get some more information.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:26 AM   #109
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post
I agree; I believe this is exactly what the problem is. I was planning to call RIM and complain because on a previous RIM ticket they said "well Google doesn't support IMAP and that is why 2-way sync. doesn't work." So it seems a little stupid that now that Google supports IMAP, RIM is not set up properly to work with it...

I'll call RIM on Monday and see if I can get some more information.
Let us know how you make out.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #110
mrking
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

hmmm, i have had a gmail account since back in the day. and yet no IMAP activation has been placed on it (not available in my options). I log out and log in. delete cookies. nothing.

I created a new account to test things out and that new account has access to IMAP controls.

WTF is up with that. existing users get screwed? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by mrking; 10-29-2007 at 03:39 PM..
Old 10-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #111
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrking View Post
WTF is up with that. existing users get screwed? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
yup, same here - created a new user in my Hosted domain and that user has IMAP access right away, yet my existing one is still in limbo. :(
Old 10-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #112
whsbuss

Interesting.... One gmail account has IMAP the other does not. And one hosted domain has it and the other doesn't.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #113
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

if you read the Gmail blog, they didn't give IMAP functionality to all users instantly. they said they are doing it in stages etc. I have had Gmail since January 2007 and my accounts wasn't one of the first ones to get it, rather it was a day later. I'm not sure what their decision is based on when they choose which accounts are to be given IMAP functionality... maybe they base it off of if you use POP3 a lot? I know I used Gmail with both my Blackberry and with Mozilla Thunderbird. Maybe they knew that and made the decision based off that. Or...that could be totally wrong and they made the decision based off your inbox size... or...it could have just been totally random. I would give it a few more days b/c a friend of mine, who has had Gmail for a year or two, still doesn't have it.

peace
Old 11-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #114
virgiliomi

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Ok... My GMail IMAP and Blackberry experiences...

- Not all new messages are appearing on my Blackberry
- WHEN I get notified of a new message, it's usually about 5 min. or so after it actually arrived in my Gmail account
- When I read the message on my Blackberry, in less than a minute, it's marked as read on Gmail
- When I delete a message on my Blackberry and Mailbox, it's gone from my Gmail account in less than a minute
- This also applies for taking an item that has been read and marking it as unread.
- Haven't tried status changes on Gmail Web -> Blackberry.
- Haven't messed with folders or anything of the sort... the folders (labels) that are already in my Gmail account don't seem to show up on my Blackberry.

I'm attributing the problems to Gmail's growing pains... and hope they'll eventually be fixed. In the meantime, I think I may go back to POP3... at least until the IMAP issues are ironed out.

Last edited by virgiliomi; 11-01-2007 at 09:40 PM..
Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 AM   #115
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgiliomi View Post
Ok... My GMail IMAP and Blackberry experiences...

- Not all new messages are appearing on my Blackberry
- WHEN I get notified of a new message, it's usually about 5 min. or so after it actually arrived in my Gmail account
- When I read the message on my Blackberry, in less than a minute, it's marked as read on Gmail
- When I delete a message on my Blackberry and Mailbox, it's gone from my Gmail account in less than a minute
- This also applies for taking an item that has been read and marking it as unread.
- Haven't tried status changes on Gmail Web -> Blackberry.
- Haven't messed with folders or anything of the sort... the folders (labels) that are already in my Gmail account don't seem to show up on my Blackberry.

I'm attributing the problems to Gmail's growing pains... and hope they'll eventually be fixed. In the meantime, I think I may go back to POP3... at least until the IMAP issues are ironed out.
This is exactly what I see including google hosted domains. RIM is working on the problem of delayed BB delivery (in some cases I get the first emai instantly then others take up to 5 minutes to arrive).

What I see is 1-way sync between the BB and Gmail. Any activity on the Gmail side (web interface or IMAP thru Outlook) does not sync to the BB.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #116
virgiliomi

Model: 8830

I did some cleaning of my mailbox... dumped the 9,000+ messages in the spam folder, cleaned up some of the mail in my various tags... bringing my inbox down to about 1,300 messages... then re-set up the IMAP. It seems to be working consistently now, every message coming through to the Blackberry... and a 2-4 minute delay between arriving at Gmail and arriving on my Blackberry.

Also, it does appear that it is one-way, where changes made on the Blackberry (read/unread, deleted, etc.) sync back to the mailbox, but changes made on the web don't sync to the Blackberry. Which is fine for me. I do most of my message reading on my Blackberry anyway. I really only use the web for reporting spam anymore... and in reality, I could do that with the Gmail Blackberry client.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #117
JOVE
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130

When I write an email from my BB using BIS, Gmail, IMAP, sent messages are NOT showing up in my sent message folder on the gmail server.

Anyone else experience this?

For the most part everything else seems to be happening the way everyone esle is describing with the one-way sync from bb to gmail.

Any news from RIM? Have they caught up with gmail's IMAP yet?
(818) 917-7782
www.TheMMTeam.com
Old 11-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #118
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOVE View Post
When I write an email from my BB using BIS, Gmail, IMAP, sent messages are NOT showing up in my sent message folder on the gmail server.
Anyone else experience this?
Yes - in my BIS I have the same email address in the BCC field so a copy of every email is sent back to myself. I then use the standard method of BIS filters to make sure I don't get copies of my own email forwarded to the device. I don't quite understand from Google's point of view why it works, but those BCC'd emails back to myself are automatically routed into my Sent folder in GMail.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #119
coastieboy00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE9FC0
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

So everyone else still have slow IMAP access? POP access still the fastest way to get the instant delivery?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #120
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastieboy00 View Post
So everyone else still have slow IMAP access? POP access still the fastest way to get the instant delivery?
You bet. IMAP on google needs some time to beta in. I have one account in Outlook doing google IMAP and I get server disconnects. So I'd stay away from using it in the BIS.

YMMV
Closed Thread