Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
HardRockinAmigo

Model: 8300
PIN: 241DC7C0
Carrier: AT&T
Default Curve Vs. Treo 700p

Please Login to Remove!

I currently own a treo 700p and i think its alright, im rather tech savvy so i have been able to keep it working about 95% of the time but Verizon has jerked me around for the last time. I have heard BBs are more stable than palms and i was looking at the curve specificly. My requirement for a phone would be
  • Good Calendar and ToDo apps
  • String SMS messages together much like an AIM convo
  • Good call quality
  • Be extremely stable
  • Sync with my Mac computer
  • I like email but its not necessary and i know BBs are famous for having good email so thats not a problem

Basically i would like to know how the curve performs mostly in the calendar and todo areas from people who have used it for a while, and preferably those who have also used a treo

Thanks in advance
Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Noekozz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: att/verizon

Welcome to the BBForum. There are a couple of threads that compare the Treo to the BB as many users have switched over.

I myself have had several Treo's (600,650) and ended up with a BB. My main reason for switching was the stability of the BB platform which is way better than the treo. My treo's were constantly freezing on me.

BB Pros:

*OS Stability (very simple to navigate)
*Push e-mail RIM is famous for
*Form factor/battery life
*Very good call quality (of course this always falls on the particular carrier)
*Loud ringer/speakerphone
*MP3/Video playback (included in BB DM software)

BB Cons:

*not many third party apps available compared to the Treo
*need a few changes in order for the BB to sync with Mac (in your case)

There used to be calendar syncing issues but with the updated OS firmware, that problem has been resolved.

Overall I'm very happy I switched over to the BB. My Treo's used to constantly freeze on me or crash until I finally got fed up. I was also very surprised on how quickly I was able to navigate the BB's OS. Good luck.

Last edited by Noekozz; 08-20-2007 at 03:21 PM..
Old 08-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
JR8700BIG

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

I have a BB Curve, and it syncs to my mac with no problems. I had a treo before my BB, and there is no comparison.. BB all the way
Old 08-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRockinAmigo View Post
I currently own a treo 700p and i think its alright, im rather tech savvy so i have been able to keep it working about 95% of the time but Verizon has jerked me around for the last time. I have heard BBs are more stable than palms and i was looking at the curve specificly. My requirement for a phone would be
  • Good Calendar and ToDo apps
  • String SMS messages together much like an AIM convo
  • Good call quality
  • Be extremely stable
  • Sync with my Mac computer
  • I like email but its not necessary and i know BBs are famous for having good email so thats not a problem

Basically i would like to know how the curve performs mostly in the calendar and todo areas from people who have used it for a while, and preferably those who have also used a treo

Thanks in advance
In my opinion, I don't think the BlackBerry is for you.
Unless wireless push e-mail is on your priority list... then don't get a BlackBerry. You seem to be more interested in PDA functions and SMS. The BlackBerry is certainly not a PDA, and SMS functionality is not going to "chat-style" like you're asking.
BlackBerry is designed to be a mobile e-mail device. Everything else is secondary.

You're probably better off staying with a Palm device, or perhaps switching to a Windows mobile device.
You might even consider the Apple iPhone since you'll be syncing with a Mac.
You'll give up the stability factor, but your other requirements would be better satisfied.

Last edited by penguin3107; 08-20-2007 at 05:50 PM..
Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Bimmer

Model: 8800

Here's a couple of post that I made in this is forum about Treo. Never again will I waste my money on any treo garbage. I use my BB 8800 as a pda. The Blackberry is such a stable phone I went out bought my wife a BB Curve 8300, she loves it!

What Lithic said, no contest. I had a treo 650 & 700p with verizon, horrible blue tooth problems and weekly crashes. My contract was up with verizon found this forum, took a chance with Cingular and the BlackBerry 8800. Great phone not one crash, reset, and the blue tooth works, in fact the phone works so great that I brought my Wife the BlackBerry 8300 and she loves it. We get better reception in house than what we got with verizon. I'm happy I found this forum.

Hello,

I'm new to the BlackBerry 8800. Had for 3 days now and all I can say it's an awesome phone. Having had the Treo 650 & the 700p, neither one would work properly with any Bluetooth headset that I purchased. Constant crashes and reboots, in my opinion treos are just junk and don't miss it. I come over to Cingular from Verizon. Verizon was trying to force me into adding the data package, $69 a month for the BlackBerry 8830 claiming that the phone won't work without the data package. Many thanks to this great forum and positive posts made my decision easy toward the BlackBerry 8800 purchase.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
AFK_Matrix
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

I was just wondering, and sorry for butting in, but what about a treo with a Windows Mobile OS? Its just I have purchased a curve but have to get it swapped becuase of a wobbly trackball, and while in the shop the assistant recommended the Treo 750 (i think that is the one) with WM 5 installed. He also said this can be upgraded to WM6. So what are the treo's with WM on like?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

WM 5 and 6 are almost as unstable as the Palm OS in my opinion. I have used them all one time or another and still come back to my trusty BB.

Had Treo 600s and a 650 and Cingular Blackjack. No way I am going back now.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
HardRockinAmigo

Thanks for the help already guys. I should clarify tho, my phone is primarily used for keeping track of business appts and phone calls. I would do most of the entering of my appointments on the computer and then sync them over to the device so i would primarily be just viewing calendar and ToDo items. In the forseeable future email will be a large part of the useage of the phone and thats what drew me to the BBs

Can any1 with a mac chime in and leme know how a BB syncs up with address book and iCal? I would most likely be buying missingsync as i already have that for my treo and am happy with it
Old 08-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #9
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Being a blackberry forum, everyone is going to tell you how much a blackberry rocks and kicks ass and is the best (hell it is).

But it has to be the right device for you. From what you've told us, I honestly think the Treo is good for you especially if you've had good luck with it (as in not crashing and getting it to work a good margin of the time).

I mean if your looking to leave verizon, all other carriers carry the Treo as well (except for t-mo now). I think the blackberry will be a plus in every category as in improvement. Except maybe syncing up with a mac. I'm assuming your using palm OS. I'm not familiar with macs so don't take my word for it. Email will just blow the treo away, but I dunno if the required monthly fee will be worth it to you which will be either anywhere from $20-$40 depending on carrier.

And yes there isn't as many apps for the blackberry, but the plus is its all java based. And the reason there aren't AS MANY apps for the BB is because it has to normally be aproved by RIM, they don't just let anyone write programs for the BB, they must ok it, which is different with Treo. Anyone can write anything (which causes lots of bugs and issues). Nontheless, there are still a buttload of apps for the BB.

And I heard of something called pocketmac or something (which is free) which should let you sync up your bb with a mac. Not sure on specifically what it does.

Last edited by BallHawk3; 08-20-2007 at 08:36 PM..
Old 08-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Heavy Doody

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

After using Palm devices for 9 years, I switched to a BlackBerry 8830 last week. It has its ups and downs, which have been pointed out here.

Just one word of caution: If you decide to buy a 700p, but it in-person at a store, and make sure you get one with the older 1.06 firmware. The 1.10 maintenance release basically cripples the 700p's data connection. THAT is why I'm sitting here with a Blackberry. I went through 4 700p's in the past month.

Also, don't let them tell you that "a new one with 1.10 won't have these problems, it's only a problem if you install it yourself." A lot of people have fallen for that one.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
JJTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
Being a blackberry forum, everyone is going to tell you how much a blackberry rocks and kicks ass and is the best (hell it is).
That's funny... if you go to a treo forum, only the moderators defend the treo. Everyone else *****es about bluetooth problems, lock ups, crashes, instability, and many are trying to file class-action lawsuits for being ripped off.

Having had a 700P before, I can tell you the curve is night-and-day better. The trackball makes it a lot easier to navigate than the old side-thumbwheel. So I don't miss my touchscreen like I thought I might.

Oh, and the bluetooth works great. Even has FREE, FUNCTIONAL voice dialing included!!!

And yes - the Curve syncs just fine with my iMac.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
lilitiki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

I had a 700p, not really a business user, but a gadget-head. My curve is my first blackberry (after many palms and windows mobile devices) and I'll never go back - one word - STABILITY. All the cool apps, touchscreens etc aren't worth a damn if the device isn't stable. I would be across the room and hear my 700p reseting by itself. It became a kind of running joke. Hear that? That's my phone having a nightmare. And when I have my curve and jawbone connected (bt) at first I would never expect my curve to keep the connection, or make a connection in the first place, I'm so battle weary from my 700p and all the bt issues. No problem with BB.

I don't miss the touchscreen (well, sometimes if I'm anxious or under pressure I start hitting the screen in a moment of panic.) My biggest surprise.

I wish the sd card would launch apps. I hate that RIM is allowing their devices to be crippled by the carriers (gps). But so far so good.

I'm not a mac user, so not sure how that will work for you...

Hope this helps...
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #13
David.Burke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

I've been a Palm/Mac user for about ten years, and I recently purchased a BB Curve. I'm using Pocket Mac to sync the BB with iCal and despite a few quirky connection issues (from reading the forums they will hopefully be cleared up in the next release) I haven't had any major problems. I enter all of my appointments on the BB and overwrite the calendar. If you plan on using The Missing Sync you should have no problems syncing with address book and iCal.

I've been extremely happy with the stability of the BB compared to the Palm OS. The transition to using the BB calendar and ToDos went fairly smoothly, it took me a while to get used to the lack of colour coded entries in the calendar but that's all I miss.

I've found the call quality to be very good, and I'm happy with the SMS functionality.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 PM   #14
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Doody View Post
Just one word of caution: If you decide to buy a 700p, but it in-person at a store, and make sure you get one with the older 1.06 firmware. The 1.10 maintenance release basically cripples the 700p's data connection. THAT is why I'm sitting here with a Blackberry. I went through 4 700p's in the past month.

Also, don't let them tell you that "a new one with 1.10 won't have these problems, it's only a problem if you install it yourself." A lot of people have fallen for that one.
This is only a problem with Verizon. The upgrade for Sprint is fine. There were initial problems, but that was resolved and the update is a must for the Sprint model.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 08-21-2007 at 10:12 PM..
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #15
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Burke View Post
I've been a Palm/Mac user for about ten years, and I recently purchased a BB Curve. I'm using Pocket Mac to sync the BB with iCal and despite a few quirky connection issues (from reading the forums they will hopefully be cleared up in the next release) I haven't had any major problems. I enter all of my appointments on the BB and overwrite the calendar. If you plan on using The Missing Sync you should have no problems syncing with address book and iCal.
I use The Missing Sync with my Mac. It works great.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 AM   #16
HardRockinAmigo

thank you all for your help and advice it has really helped immensely. Im going tomorrow (well i guess tech. today) to go get my curve from the at&t store. Wish me luck
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #17
C. Gomez

Just to reaffirm your decision...go with the Curve.

I use it with my MacBook Pro and it syncs perfectly. I would however recommend purchasing "The Missing Sync for BlackBerry" as it is quite a bit better than "PocketMac", both will do the job fine, but MS is better. As for the SMS threading, yes, the BlackBerry strings them together like a chat message so I don't know what an earlier poster was talking about. The OS is rock solid and seldom have I ever needed to restart any of my BlackBerry devices. Call quality is great and bluetooth/speakerphone work just as well.

But yeah, works great with iCal (even with multiple appointment categories), Stickies, Address Book and iTunes if you want to sideload some music on an SD card. Go for the Missing Sync software and you'll be a lot happier though.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #18
J
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Curve over the treos anyday.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #19
xsmobile

PIN: ummmm

Good Luck!!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #20
bthooper

To echo what has already been said, the BB 8300 is a great device. It is quite different from the Palm world - so don't expect an immediate transition. But once you get a feel for it, you will find it:

- more stable
- initially harder to use, but then much faster to use once you learn the ropes
- capable of almost everything you could do on the palm
- capable of many things you couldn't do or couldn't do well on the palm
- a very reliable communication tool

I am a mac user, and I found that my curve syncs better than any of my previous palms ever did. I use Missing Sync, and would absolutely recommend you get it because it just makes the whole sync thing a bit easier and smoother.

Let us know what you decide to do!
Closed Thread