natan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Blackberry "push" email set up via forwarding

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,
Trying to figure out how to receive emails instantly on my blackberry. I understand that emails sent to my [email address] emails are pushed instantly and that external emails set up in BIS are retrieved with an interval of around 15 minutes according to "official" sources.

In my BIS i have two emails set up: one is the blackberry email [email address] and another one is my external account [email address] that retrieves email via POP. I've set up forwarding from my external account to my blackberry account and naturally emails arrive instantly as soon as they are sent.

Question: How do I reply to those emails so that the "send using" address is my external account and not [email address] where the emails were forwarded to. The default compose new email is set up to use the external account.

Is this even possible to do?

Thanks!
natan is online now PinStack Social Bookmark...
Old 10-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular

I don't know what is taking 15 minutes. I have run test from several email accounts to multiple email accounts on my BB and they are there within minutes. The one I just did literally took 10 seconds.

I am on BIS with ATT

Last edited by Dawgfan; 10-06-2007 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Clarify carrier
Old 10-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Dawgfan

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular

I would highly recommend NOT having your sent from address being your raw BB address. I would at least put a few other email accounts on your (assuming) BIS.

The emails I tested that took seconds were from Gmail to Gmail and Gmail to Yahoo.

I am running a from Hotmail to Yahoo/.Mac/Gmail now... Done.. The ones from Hotmail took 4 minutes. Pretty normal in my experience. Gmail ROCKS.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natan View Post

Question: How do I reply to those emails so that the "send using" address is my external account and not [email address] where the emails were forwarded to. The default compose new email is set up to use the external account.

Is this even possible to do?
I think you can change this by going to Options > Advanced Options > Message Services (or Default Services) and then setting it to your POP account. This may work.

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 10-06-2007 at 05:19 PM..
Old 10-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
natan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
I think you can change this by going to Options > Advanced Options > Message Services (or Default Services) and then setting it to your POP account. This may work.
This only works when composing new message. There is no option to change the email account when you are replying to an email. At least I don't see it anywhere.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
LarryH

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Natan -- on my 8300 I don't have a "send using" option for replies. If what you want is to have your external account as the "reply to" address for the recipients (instead of the BB account) you can set that up by going online, going into your BIS account and editing the settings for your BB address.

You can put in any reply to you want. Is that what you're looking to do?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
natan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan View Post
I would highly recommend NOT having your sent from address being your raw BB address. I would at least put a few other email accounts on your (assuming) BIS.

The emails I tested that took seconds were from Gmail to Gmail and Gmail to Yahoo.

I am running a from Hotmail to Yahoo/.Mac/Gmail now... Done.. The ones from Hotmail took 4 minutes. Pretty normal in my experience. Gmail ROCKS.
Thanks for the response. I do not want to give out my bb address but I want to receive emails on it (it is almost instant) and reply via my regular personal email.

When in T-Mobile BIS I set up my personal account (it works through IMAP). the emails when sent there are not receive right away. There is 10 or more min delay, where as my desktop email client receives the email right away. That is why I want to forward all my email to my BB address, but reply via my personal email, so that nobody sees my BB address. I am aware that I can set a different reply-to address in T-Mobile BIS for my BB email but I am looking for a better solution.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
natan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH View Post
Natan -- on my 8300 I don't have a "send using" option for replies. If what you want is to have your external account as the "reply to" address for the recipients (instead of the BB account) you can set that up by going online, going into your BIS account and editing the settings for your BB address.

You can put in any reply to you want. Is that what you're looking to do?
Thanks for your response. This would be a semi-solution since my BB email will still be visible, even though there would be a different reply-to address.

I don't have a "send using" on my Curve either, that is what made me start this topic.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
LarryH

Carrier: ATT

Try it. I don't think your BB address will show.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
natan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH View Post
Try it. I don't think your BB address will show.
You are correct! It does not show. Thank you!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
This only works when composing new message. There is no option to change the email account when you are replying to an email. At least I don't see it anywhere.
I see what you are saying. I believe the BlackBerry will default to using whatever account that was used to receive the message. So if you have a Yahoo! and Gmail account set up, and your Gmail is your default, the BlackBerry will default to using the Yahoo! account to reply (from the BlackBerry) if the e-mail you are replying to was received using the Yahoo! account. Just wanted to note that.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
richbrowne

Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Thanks for your response. This would be a semi-solution since my BB email will still be visible, even though there would be a different reply-to address.

I don't have a "send using" on my Curve either, that is what made me start this topic.
Hi Natan,
I have the 8310 and you can change the 'Send Using' email address, although I have not seen this documented.

When composing a new email address on the BB, either in the actual Inbox of the account you wish to send from (the 'Send Using' is then defaulted to the account of the Inbox you are currently 'in'), or in the 'Compose' 'folder', at the top of the email you are currently composing you will see the name of the account that will be used to send the email. If this account is not the one you would like to use and the one you wish to change it to is configured on your BB (and therefore also configured in the BIS), you can use the 'Pearl' track ball and scroll up to this name, push the track ball in to select and then you can scroll to another pre-configured account to change it.

Does this answer your query?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #13
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan View Post
I don't know what is taking 15 minutes. I have run test from several email accounts to multiple email accounts on my BB and they are there within minutes. The one I just did literally took 10 seconds.

I am on BIS with ATT
Some of us are also getting mail from OWA accounts which may explain the delay.

Go Volunteers.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #14
natan

Thanks everyone for their help. I've decided to forward my external email to my BB account and change my reply-to email on BB account to my external address.
Closed Thread