BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
dbw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Options for purchasing a 7290

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently a Cingular customer. I just bought a camera-phone a few months ago, so I'm under contract until April 06. Does this mean I can only buy a 7290 from a Cingular store? Or can I buy online or from another source, remove the card from my phone and put it in the BB 7290? Then I call Cingular to change my service to include the functions of a BB? Sorry for the elementary questions, but the folks at my local Cingular store are not terribly helpful.

I want to be as well prepared as I can be before I spend this kind of money. Any suggestions or sources of basic information? I've been pouring over these threads.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Generally, yes you can do so, as long as you pay the full price for the new BlackBerry. (So it's probably best to go to a place like eBay or something, since you probably won't be able to get a discounted BlackBerry unless you've been with Cingular for long enough to qualify for a HUP)

Theoretically, you can probably even resell your old phone, but you are still stuck under the same contract. (Although ethically, I don't know about that, though this is probably OK if you continue honour the existing contract, and are currently under no obligation to ever return the phone.)

Changing plans is probably allowed as long as it's a higher-priced plan, but you should check with your carrier first. Basically, you'll probably have to keep your existing plan, but add $45-per-month for the addition of unlimited BlackBerry data service. You should call Cingular first to ask if you can enable BlackBerry features on your SIM card.

A great place to ask about cellphone carrier questions is HowardForums at http://www.HowardForums.com. Check out the Cingular forum there. Also, there's the AT&T Wireless Support Forums although I don't know if that now covers Cingular too.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
MadMedik

DBW,

I think Mark was thinking this when he mentioned "full price," but MAKE SURE the unit you buy is either for Cingular or unlocked. If it is locked to another network, there are places to get it unlocked, but you can expect to pay for this service...

MM
Old 02-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
dbw

Thanks TONS for your help. These tips give me a good starting place.

Closed Thread