Old 10-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #281
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Congratulations in that FileScout has been chosen as one of the sixteen BlackBerry Developer Challenge Finalists 2009!!
Yes, excellent news! Congratulations, Matthias!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #282
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

thanks a lot guys! - it's highly appreciated - now I have to find a way to finance the travel costs, so that I could participate in the final round in SF.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #283
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
thanks a lot guys! - it's highly appreciated - now I have to find a way to finance the travel costs, so that I could participate in the final round in SF.
Do you have an estimate of the total travel costs for participating in the event? Unfortunately, it appears that RIM does not typically offer any kind of compensation for travel costs for this event (unless you might have heard differently). It would be nice if they would make an exception given the fact that you are an individual that developed both FileScout and GPSLogger as a "hobby" -- you do not have any real financial backing at this point other than personal, not to mention the fact that travel from Germany to San Francisco would be quite expensive (I believe that you are the only finalist from Europe).
Old 10-31-2009, 05:25 AM   #284
emacf1

FileScout release of 1.4.0.0
Even if the changelog for v1.4.0.0 does not list plenty of new features - "under the hood" there have been a lot of changes in order to make FileScout even more stable and memory efficient.

What's new?
  • New Simple TextViewer/Editor Option: Select how files will be saved. Either in 'UNIX Format (CR)' (default) or in'Windows Format (CRLF)'. By default BlackBerry is storing files in the UNIX Format - which makes editing afterwards e.g. with Windows Notepad a bit difficult.
  • Storm 2 (9520/9550) will be treated as the Storm 9500/9530 devices (but still no touch screen support yet)
  • Added a MenuItem for the "Go to Directory" [SHIFT]+[G] function
  • Various performance and memory issue improvements

What's fixed?
  • Sometimes FileScout was instantly started again after it was closed by the user (e.g. when during the FileScout session some media files had been opened) - this issue should be solved with this build.
  • OS 5.x ONLY: Endless loop for system folder fixed - Unfortunately in Beta OS 5.x (Storm & Bold) it's not possible anymore to access the system folder via the file system API - it looks like RIM have restriced the access to this folder. With this Version FileScout will display an error message when the API does not return any content for a folder. This also means that FileScout can't be used to delete pre-installed files located in the subfolders of 'system' for Storm and Bold devices that have installed the OS 5.x. (Beta)
  • Additional small tweaks for OS5.x Users

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the FileScout Homepage

Matthias
Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #285
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
What's fixed?
  • Sometimes FileScout was instantly started again after it was closed by the user (e.g. when during the FileScout session some media files had been opened) - this issue should be solved with this build.
Matthias
I'm glad you figured that one out. I had seen this a few times (and I think even mentioned it to you), but it happened infrequently and I could never figure out a pattern.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:55 AM   #286
emacf1

FileScout release of 1.4.1.0 uuuups
Sorry a small fix for the latest release of FileScout is required

What's fixed?
  • The new Simple TextViewer/Editor Option: Select how files will be saved. Either in 'UNIX Format (CR)' (default) or in'Windows Format (CRLF)' is now visible in the Simple TextViewer/Editor Option

Installation & Update

Matthias

Last edited by emacf1; 11-02-2009 at 04:59 AM..
Old 11-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #287
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeek View Post
I'm glad you figured that one out. I had seen this a few times (and I think even mentioned it to you), but it happened infrequently and I could never figure out a pattern.
I am happy too, that this one seams to be fixed... I keep my fingers crossed
Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #288
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint

Four requests:

1. Ability to set a file as Hidden (File Explorer Pro)
2. Ability to set a file as Read-Only (File Explorer Pro)
3. Ability to explore and extract selected files from zip file (File Explorer Pro)
4. Ability to create NEW Text File (File Explorer Pro)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #289
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
1. Ability to set a file as Hidden (File Explorer Pro)
already there since v0.something -> press 'I' on a file and check/uncheck the hidden checkbox
Quote:
Ability to create NEW Text File (File Explorer Pro)
It's there in the #menu - or you can use the "save as..." function in the TextEditor

Last edited by emacf1; 11-02-2009 at 04:21 PM..
Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #290
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Four requests:

4. Ability to create NEW Text File (File Explorer Pro)
This one has been implemented, too!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #291
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
This one has been implemented, too!
I have the trend to forget what I have also implemented [but realized now, that there is the "Create NEW text file" as well]
Old 11-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #292
TTsoldier
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 2168B71A
Carrier: bmobile

It isn't possible to scroll through pictures like a slideshow the way you could with the default berry media manager?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #293
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTsoldier View Post
It isn't possible to scroll through pictures like a slideshow the way you could with the default berry media manager?
Indeed that is not possible with FileScout - I haven't found anything in the API that would allow me to create a "playlist for pictures" like it can be done for audio files
Old 11-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #294
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Speaking of requests, would it be possible to make use of the Autotext database?

And maybe for FileScout to recognize that a sequence of numbers in a file is a phone number so that clicking on them will dial? (Yeah, I know, this is getting away from just viewing/editing/exploring files, but it would be handy... )
Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #295
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have the trend to forget what I have also implemented [but realized now, that there is the "Create NEW text file" as well]
Easy to do with such a powerful and full-featured app!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #296
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeek View Post
Speaking of requests, would it be possible to make use of the Autotext database?
You mean in the text editor? - I think I have disabled it by purpose but might be possible simply to add just another option - have I said, that I "love" checkboxes

For the other suggestion I hoped, that the OS have some sort of build in phone number detection (I would expect once a phone number like string is marked that I then could dial it... obviously I am expecting too much from the OS )
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #297
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
You mean in the text editor? - I think I have disabled it by purpose but might be possible simply to add just another option - have I said, that I "love" checkboxes
Yes, that way I can use the same shortcuts in the text editor for certain bits of text that I use when writing emails, for example. Checkbox options are cool...that way a user can pick the desired level of functionality, like a menu at a restaurant.

Quote:
For the other suggestion I hoped, that the OS have some sort of build in phone number detection (I would expect once a phone number like string is marked that I then could dial it... obviously I am expecting too much from the OS )
That's weird...I thought the email reader could do it (and maybe the memo app as well, but then I don't use that app anymore ). Maybe that function is one of the ones RIM keeps for itself?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #298
emacf1

FileScout release of 1.5.0.0
After the DevelopersConference in San Francisco some new feature have been implemented - thanks a lot for all the valuable feedback I have received during the conference!

What's new?
  • Display of thumbnails in search result (if thumbnail display is enabled and images are in the 'FileScout Image Cache')
  • Thumbnail-Options: New Button to generate all all thumbnails for all images on your device (incl. the SDCard) - this operation can take a while till it's completed - please be patient!
  • When resizing images to device resolution size you can now select to keep the aspect ratio of the original image. If this option is selected, then FileScout will cut (left & right or top & bottom) of the image so that it will fit to your device screen resolution.
  • UserDefined resolution (image resizing) can be now be max 9999 pixel [but it's recommended not use more then 1200px]
  • Support for DesktopManager Backup & Restore (FileScout settings)
  • A '[W]' in the Screen Title indicating that the background threads (required for Search and other extended features) are still running (after FileScout is started) - once the threads are completed the '[W]' will disappear.
  • Integration in the RIMs FileExplorer Application: a 'Explore with FileScout' MenuItem is added

What's fixed?
  • Search files in the current Directory only function fixed to be usable multiple times
  • Potential OutOfMemeory Error during start of FileScout (when the thumbnail store is getting too large)
  • Accessing OS5 System Folder for Bold, Bold2, Storm and Storm2 (tested with OS 5.0.0.306+)

For all of you who are waiting to get a "fix" for the System folder on the Bold, Bold2, Storm and Strom2 on OS5
  • RIM confirmed that they made the System folder in OS5.x read only
  • FileScout (and all other 3'rd party applications) can only show the content of the System folder but can't modify anything

Installation & Update

Matthias
Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #299
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint

Support for saving settings and favorites to a backup file for restoring later?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:52 AM   #300
emacf1

Quote:
Support for saving settings and favorites to a backup file for restoring later?
When you use the DesktopManager software to create a Backup of your device (or use it to switch devices or update the OS) now the FileScout settings will be also backup'ed and restored
Closed Thread