Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
BWood

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BB and BES n00b - general reconciliation question

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Total n00b to the Blackberry world. I've been running Treo's and Goodlink for several years and we are jumping ship (Bon Voyage you POS Treo's).

I just set up the BES server yesterday, and I have two users set up (me and another admin in IS).
We are running a SQL db, Exchange 2003, and BES 4.1.4.12 (just downloaded it yesterday).

There are two sync problems I am running up against right now. Part of it may be my lack of understanding on how the BB/BES world works (likely). Below are a couple issues/questions I have

1. Email. new items are sync'ing to both the Inbox and the BB. Deleted items however are not - in either direction. I'm not talking about Hard Deletes... just a normal delete. If I delete in my Inbox, the item remains on the BB, and vica versa.

I've read Doc ID : KB00285 ...
We are not permanently deleting
Outlook is not configured to empty deleted items
Delete option on - Well, this is set to handheld right now. if I set to Handheld and Inbox - items delete properly in both direction

Is there a way, on the BES, to set this so I don't have to configure this on every handheld? ... can it be done globally and/or to a group?

on a side note - something I just noticed while typing this out. I am using Outlook 2007, which has a Junk Email folder. Some stuff that makes it past our corporate spam filters ends up getting put here by Outlook - most of the time its not really spam and Outlook is being stupid.
I just noticed that the BB displayed this even though it went to the Junk folder. - OK, makes sense since the sorting happened in Outlook and not Exchange... but, I deleted it from Outlook and it is not deleted from the BB.

2. Sent items showing up on BB regardless of where they are sent. Is there a way to turn this off on the BES? I know how to do it on the BB, but again, I don't want to have to do this on every device.

3. Today screen showing a test calander item that was deleted and not showing a newer test item that was created for a different time - both are still in the future as I type this.
If I select the deleted item from the Today screen, it says "Appointment deleted externally. changes will be lost and the viewer closed" OK.
Opening the calander to today, it doesn't show the deleted item, and does show the second item... so the calander itself seems to be sync'ing correctly, its just the Today screen not updating.
edit: once time past the appointment time, this seems to have cleared the Today screen. Not sure if this will be ongoing issue or not

I appreciate any input. I realize the answers to the questions are problem already here somewhere, and I did find some similar stuff (hence, how I read the KB article noted above), but I didn't really find anything that specifically addressed my questions (maybe they are on page 27, I don't know).

Thanks

Last edited by BWood; 12-11-2007 at 02:17 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
DarkWater
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWood View Post
1. Email. new items are sync'ing to both the Inbox and the BB. Deleted items however are not - in either direction. I'm not talking about Hard Deletes... just a normal delete. If I delete in my Inbox, the item remains on the BB, and vica versa.

I've read Doc ID : KB00285 ...
We are not permanently deleting
Outlook is not configured to empty deleted items
Delete option on - Well, this is set to handheld right now. if I set to Handheld and Inbox - items delete properly in both direction

Is there a way, on the BES, to set this so I don't have to configure this on every handheld? ... can it be done globally and/or to a group?

on a side note - something I just noticed while typing this out. I am using Outlook 2007, which has a Junk Email folder. Some stuff that makes it past our corporate spam filters ends up getting put here by Outlook - most of the time its not really spam and Outlook is being stupid.
I just noticed that the BB displayed this even though it went to the Junk folder. - OK, makes sense since the sorting happened in Outlook and not Exchange... but, I deleted it from Outlook and it is not deleted from the BB.
The Delete On option is user controlled, so you can't force it from the server.

Some email reconciliation is not immediate. Sometimes it takes up to around 20 minutes. This is because the server scans the mailbox for changes on a cycle, one of them being deleted items.

Have you tried using the Reconcile Now option from the handheld? You can find it in the menu within the Messages app.

Quote:
2. Sent items showing up on BB regardless of where they are sent. Is there a way to turn this off on the BES? I know how to do it on the BB, but again, I don't want to have to do this on every device.
Messages > Options > Email Settings > click menu button and select Folder Redirection
Uncheck the Sent Items folder.

You can do the same from the server. Service Control & Customization > Choose Folders for Redirection.

Quote:
3. Today screen showing a test calander item that was deleted and not showing a newer test item that was created for a different time - both are still in the future as I type this.
If I select the deleted item from the Today screen, it says "Appointment deleted externally. changes will be lost and the viewer closed" OK.
Opening the calander to today, it doesn't show the deleted item, and does show the second item... so the calander itself seems to be sync'ing correctly, its just the Today screen not updating.
Which Today screen? Try explaining that again, it's a little confusing.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
BWood

Thanks for the above info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWater

Which Today screen? Try explaining that again, it's a little confusing.
I guess it is the Today screen that appeared when I selected one of the built in themes. this is on an 8830. Its the "BB Dimension Today" theme.

I can switch between the Applications screen and this screen. It gives me some summary info like...
"Messages" (and displays the two most recent Inbox items)
"Calendar" (displays the two most recent Cal items)
"Call Log"

and then at the bottom is a link to take me to the Applications screen.

Now that time has passed on the item I first noted - the screen updated iteself to show the next test item and a real item for this afternoon. BUT, time has now passed for that second test item and the today screen has not updated to show two real appointments for this afternoon (still only showing the one).
It has now been 20 minutes since the item came due and it still shows on the Today screen, even though there are other items coming up in the next two hours.

edit: it is updating. I guess I am just not beint patient

Last edited by BWood; 12-11-2007 at 03:04 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
BWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWood

Messages > Options > Email Settings > click menu button and select Folder Redirection
Uncheck the Sent Items folder.

You can do the same from the server. Service Control & Customization > Choose Folders for Redirection.
I think I want the items to actually be placed in the Sent Items folder... its the displaying of sent items in the BB message screen that I would like turned off.
I can do this from the email options/general options / "hide Sent Messages". Just wondering if it can be done from the server.

thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
DarkWater

Quote:
I think I want the items to actually be placed in the Sent Items folder... its the displaying of sent items in the BB message screen that I would like turned off.
I can do this from the email options/general options / "hide Sent Messages". Just wondering if it can be done from the server.

thanks
Nope. This is a user determined setting.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
DarkWater

Quote:
Thanks for the above info...

I guess it is the Today screen that appeared when I selected one of the built in themes. this is on an 8830. Its the "BB Dimension Today" theme.

I can switch between the Applications screen and this screen. It gives me some summary info like...
"Messages" (and displays the two most recent Inbox items)
"Calendar" (displays the two most recent Cal items)
"Call Log"

and then at the bottom is a link to take me to the Applications screen.

Now that time has passed on the item I first noted - the screen updated iteself to show the next test item and a real item for this afternoon. BUT, time has now passed for that second test item and the today screen has not updated to show two real appointments for this afternoon (still only showing the one).
It has now been 20 minutes since the item came due and it still shows on the Today screen, even though there are other items coming up in the next two hours.

edit: it is updating. I guess I am just not beint patient
I'm not familiar with that particular theme so there could be a delay that is common. I use the Zen themes personally.
Closed Thread