Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
buckod

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Default True "off-line" GPS?!

Please Login to Remove!

So I did a lot of research a while back and seemed to point to Magellin as the only "true off line" GPS. After contacting them, the CS person stated its not. So my only real reason I wanted to have off-line was for hiking and off roading.

I have found a couple of ways to get your GPS cords- in GMM go to the about option in the menu and it will show your lat and long. In BBM you can select to copy your location and then post the link in a memo note. In the link it lists you lat+long.

The GMM gives you real time where BMM only lists from the moment you create the link. Obviously you'll still need a hard map and the ability to use it but for me, wanting to not have an additional device, this is a solid option.

Haven't tried it outside of wiress coverage yet, though!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
soupandsandwich

You should check out the posts in the GPS and Mapping section of this site.
There's lots of useful info and discussions over there.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; RammerJammer!)

Was there a question?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

There are a number of stand-alone gps units including Garmin, TomTom as well as the one you mentioned. They function by getting satellite readings. Most newer units including maps already in them. There may be cheap units in the above without maps that just give coordinates.

There are a few programs that will function without data on a BB. Some can get maps in advance and then use them in the absence of data but most want data. There are a few that also are just coordinate based - lat/long.

The BB is quite limited without data and totally so if you leave an area to one with no data if you want mapping.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
The BB is quite limited without data
The problem isn't the BB. It's the way the GPS apps for the BB are currently designed. No one seems to be shipping a GPS solution that relies solely on maps on the media card.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Orange

Yeah for some reason mapping providers are seemingly reluctant to release media card based maps for the BlackBerry. I could be cynical and say its to encourage more data use which makes the carriers happy but I'm sure that's not the reason.....

There is a demand for it and I know a few companies that are working on it but haven't tested how good they are yet (once I do and I'm out of NDA I will of course post it up here).

If you want to use the GPS for a digital compass I'm sure there must be a third party app somewhere that shows you your lat/long, bearing, speed, etc (if not there will be in the near future as a small part of some software we are working on ).
Old 11-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckod View Post
So I did a lot of research a while back and seemed to point to Magellin as the only "true off line" GPS. After contacting them, the CS person stated its not. So my only real reason I wanted to have off-line was for hiking and off roading.

I have found a couple of ways to get your GPS cords- in GMM go to the about option in the menu and it will show your lat and long. In BBM you can select to copy your location and then post the link in a memo note. In the link it lists you lat+long.

The GMM gives you real time where BMM only lists from the moment you create the link. Obviously you'll still need a hard map and the ability to use it but for me, wanting to not have an additional device, this is a solid option.

Haven't tried it outside of wiress coverage yet, though!
Check out GPS Receiver Information, Software, and Hardware Reviews of Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan and other GPS Receivers. They have all sorts of reviews on standalone GPS devices for auto, hiking, etc. No phone based GPS yet however.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread